It is currently March 18th, 2024, 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 4th, 2021, 9:31 pm 

I've been experimenting with different homemade versions of fish crisp, without a lot of outstanding or enthusiastic results. I've tried recipes that were flour-based, some with corn-starch, tried some with nutritional yeast, and some with panko. I am hoping for other ideas, recipes or guidance for kick-ass fish coating recipes.

Thanks

:)

PostPosted: September 5th, 2021, 6:00 am 

I haven't tried it and do not have any on hand, but I wonder if powdered eggs might add a bit of volume to the coating once fried - like it might puff it up a bit.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2021, 9:14 am 

Pulverized Ritz crackers have become a favorite with my group. Double dip in egg.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2021, 11:34 am 

Put fillets in a bag of flour and shake up

Dip in eggwash (thinned with a bit of milk which can be skim milk powder and water on canoe trips)

Dip in 50/50 mix of panko and garden vegetable crackers

Fry in peanut oil

Place on flat bun with slice of vidalia and mayo

Proceed to eat the tastiest fish of your life

Attachment:
fish.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2021, 1:00 pm 

Buns, onions, eggs, mayo - yeah, we don't camp the same :lol:

PostPosted: September 8th, 2021, 8:00 am 

We use to camp extremely lean, virtually all dried ingredients, even dry drinks at night! Our goal was always to single carry portages; so one daypack and canoe, and a portage pack for all tent, food, tarp, clothes and sleeping products.

As we got older we decided to include more luxury items; even though it meant doubling the portage trips. (or tripling when you count walking back) Nowadays I wont do a trip again without highback chairs, buns and mayo, and never without a nice single malt to sip by the fire and enjoy the northern lights!

PostPosted: September 8th, 2021, 8:46 am 

sbaillie wrote:
We use to camp extremely lean, virtually all dried ingredients, even dry drinks at night! Our goal was always to single carry portages; so one daypack and canoe, and a portage pack for all tent, food, tarp, clothes and sleeping products.

As we got older we decided to include more luxury items; even though it meant doubling the portage trips. (or tripling when you count walking back) Nowadays I wont do a trip again without highback chairs, buns and mayo, and never without a nice single malt to sip by the fire and enjoy the northern lights!

I'm not knocking your choices and the OP did not specify the ingredient parameters.

We also bring more luxury items - latest being a pair of BA Mica Basins. I also got frustrated with water filtration and now bring a 1/2 kg Katadyn Pocket. However, a hip flask of scotch is our only non-lake sourced form of liquid.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2021, 1:28 pm 

And Todd - you remembered to add a touch of magic baking powder, yes? That will also help with some puffing up.