It is currently January 20th, 2020, 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: October 30th, 2019, 11:49 am 

I also make a great Ratattoille with a feta and almond topping. (https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyl ... pe-1944173)

We dehydrate the two parts separately and don't bother to re-hydrate the topping when its time to eat it as there's enough residual moisture on the vegetables . The feta seems to dry alright as it is pretty small bits after mixing with almonds, basil, and chili pepper flakes.

Just realized both of these recipes are vegetarian though I am not.....

PostPosted: October 30th, 2019, 12:09 pm 

Just finished a bunch of dehydrating over the last week. I use lean meats since high fat will spoil faster. Here was my meal choices this time around:

- Turkey Chili (have always used beef but mixed it up this time)
- Spaghetti - this is always a go to, easy and taste great, mix in onions , mushroom, garlic anything goes
- Chicken Alfredo with the big flat egg noodles. Use canned chicken (Costco has a good one) since store bought chicken breast does not re-hydrate well and will remain tough.
- Beef Stroganoff. No sour cream, add powdered later when dehydrating.
- Pad Thai - new for me, bought takeout and dehydrated it, looks great, cant wait to try.
- Scrambled eggs, makes great omelettes. or just scramble them back up.
- Pineapple, this is the best munchie by far, takes a long time but well worth it!

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: October 30th, 2019, 12:57 pm 

Coleslaws and salads.
Lots of information on this forum. Use the search feature.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2019, 8:06 pm 

Captaincanadian,
Do you just dehydrate your own scrambled eggs? I thought that eggs done at home never rehydrate well? Guess I'll have to try it myself before I buy the powdered ones.

rab

PostPosted: October 30th, 2019, 8:18 pm 

Eggs by themselves, cooked or not, do not dehydrate or rehydrate well. But if you mix them with something, such as in a kind of casserole, then you will have better success. Try a mixture of hash brown or grated potatoes with eggs and a few herbs and a little cheese, maybe with some crumbled bacon. First bake it lightly in the oven at home just enough to cook everything together to soften the potatoes and set the eggs, then dehydrate. I have done this a few times. You can find such recipes, or come up with your own, try it with rice or the like instead of potatoes also.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2019, 10:00 pm 

we just take raw eggs and cook them out there---they won'tspoil in a week or so.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2019, 10:12 pm 

Leftover roast chicken has become our meat protein of choice to dehydrate. Being a mild flavour it combines well with many recipes. I'm finally exploring the world of vegetarian options as well, and loving it. A Basmati/wild rice combination or quinoa have replaced the TVP we used to add to recipes, and we always have several curry dinners on the trip. A Thai dinner is relatively easy to put together. It's getting harder to pick a favourite these days.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2019, 10:10 am 

Was thinking of eggs during week two of a trip. I've not had luck keeping fresh eggs from cracking past about day 5.
I've been drying canned chicken from Costco, haven't tried roast chicken, do you just use the white meat or dark meat as well?
Indian Butter Chicken(pickerel) is one of our favourites - powdered coconut milk, butter chicken paste, fried peanuts and coconut, dehydrated onions and deep fried pickerel - crowd favourite!

PostPosted: October 31st, 2019, 1:05 pm 

wotrock wrote:
we just take raw eggs and cook them out there---they won't spoil in a week or so.

Eggs will keep longer than that! On my George River trip in 2018 I used my last eggs on day 36 and they were delicious! In 2017 the eggs I bought a week before my 46 day Albany River trip didn't all get used so I brought 2 home and ate them, they were at that point 57 days from purchase and although the egg white was a bit "watery" they tasted fine and didn't poison me.

The "trick" with eggs is to scramble and cook completely, by completely I mean perhaps 20 - 30 seconds more than "normal", you don't want "over-easy".

The refrigeration of eggs is a North American thing that never existed prior to the later part of the 20th century.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2019, 2:49 pm 

Rab, I take a leftover roast chicken and remove and discard all the skin. It's a shame really because that contains a lot of flavour, but it also contains too much fat. The carcass and bones are frozen in a bag to make chicken stock another time. The meat, both white and dark, are shredded with forks until the meat fibres are fairly separated and a little stringy. It dehydrates/ rehydrates really well like this. I Ziplock baggie this separately in small portion sizes, remove as much air as possible from the bags and keep them in the freezer. They come out at trip time and are tossed into whatever camp recipe we're using at that moment. Chili, pasta sauce, Thai, soup and curry.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2019, 4:13 pm 

Our 'go to' meal is pasta with meat sauce---dehyd ground beef per'std' procedure, dump jar of pasta sauce into fry pan and simmer until it's more like a paste then dehydrate the paste. Add any extras (parmesan etc) when you cook. I find rotini easier than most noodles.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2019, 6:51 pm 

Try pureeing a can of kidney beans with your pasta sauce in a blender. throw in some barely cooked onions and peppers too. A bit of parmesan will go a long way with it, but it will stick to everything. You can pour it over thin cooked pasta and dehydrate it all at once.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2019, 7:14 pm 

Good suggestions re beans etc.I am a bit puzzled why you and others cook the pasta at home. We find it quite easy to do out there.We tend to keep ingredients separate.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2019, 10:32 pm 

wotrock wrote:
Good suggestions re beans etc.I am a bit puzzled why you and others cook the pasta at home. We find it quite easy to do out there.We tend to keep ingredients separate.
Cook it at home, no need to cook it at camp. It rehydrates all togetherreadily in about 20 minutes. Just only need to heat water and combine in a bag in a cozy. No need to dirty a pot or waste heat and fuel beyond bringing water to a boil.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2019, 8:37 am 

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. That suits your style of camping---what I do suits mine. Hopefully some will benefit from the ideas offered.(I have a little wood stove so fuel is not a concern )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next