It is currently August 17th, 2019, 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 7:17 pm 

Phil is right...there are a ton of good store-bought meals if you scrounge around a supermarket. I recently found products made by "Zaterain's" in my local Metro store. Jambalaya and Black Beans with Rice. They are 227 gram packages that you add a couple cups of water to and simmer for a while. They give you 6-130 calorie servings so it seems like a good calorie/dry weight ratio. I tried the Jambalaya the other day with some smoked sausage in it and it was very good! As some others have mentioned, they are a little high in their sodium content though.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 8:51 pm 

Casbah Falafel mix. Not quite vegetable, not quite bread, great with a fish dinner.

Attachments:
IMG_1217.JPG
IMG_1217.JPG [ 74.99 KiB | Viewed 3080 times ]

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 11:34 am 

just a quick note to say "thanks" to everyone that replied. i learned a few things, and that is always good.
i am slowly loading up on "mountain house" products and the "deluxe k.d. (thanks phil)"
i am also checking out a few more ideas.
is there a sausage out there that will keep in warmer weather while on a spring trip. smoked is probably best? thanks again

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 11:58 am 

swedish pimple wrote:
is there a sausage out there that will keep in warmer weather while on a spring trip. smoked is probably best? thanks again

Any dry cured salami/sausage should survive without refrigeration. I buy Tanjo's summer sausage from the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto for most every trip we do.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 5:18 pm 

I take Landjaeger for snacks. Its a dried sausage that you bite into and not designed for sandwiches.

Take Voyageurs trick. He has a little collapsible cooler ( six pack size) and wraps lunch meat and cheeses in their plastic bags and surrounds them with a damp terry dishtowel. Put those in the little Walmart cooler and then bury it. Evaporative cooling works great in the North. The terry towel drying will keep the meat cool. When it gets too cool re wet it. Cheeses and meats were safe for two weeks.. Could go more perhaps but they were in the stomach by then

Trick doesn't work so well in the Everglades.. its too humid.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2017, 6:03 pm 

Kim's description of how perishables are kept on the reconnaissance expeditions of The Wabakimi Project works even in the warmest weather in late June and through July. In extremely hot weather, we bury our 'cooler' well away from the campsite under a deep bed of boreal forest moss. The results are outstanding!

We use "Hungarian" and "Genoa" sausage meats obtained from our local Metro deli department. We make lunch wraps with cheese carved from 750g blocks of Mild, Medium and Old cheeses. They last longer in our 'cooler' in that order. We also keep margarine, mustard, ketchup and chocolate bars in the same 'cooler' wrapped in a wet terry dishtowel with much success.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2017, 7:35 am 

IMHO - this ones are the best - http://www.packitgourmet.com/Trail-Meals.html

PostPosted: May 15th, 2017, 10:33 am 

Hawk Vittles http://hawkvittles.com/

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2018, 3:25 pm 

I have had good results with Bauly Foods in Brampton.

They don't have enormous variety, but their meals are hearty and they supply single ingredients like meats and vegetables.

The folks at Bauly are friendly and have been very obliging about shipping on short notice.