It is currently August 17th, 2019, 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 18th, 2017, 3:57 pm 

My friends and I are going to be camping on Cinqo De Mayo and thought we'd have a Mexican themed dinner that night.

I'm having trouble however coming up with a simple enough recipe for our dinner so I was hoping that someone might have a good recipe for some backcountry Mexican food.

Luckily our portages aren't too long so weight isn't too big of an issue and we don't need a recipe that consists of all dehydrated ingredients.

Thanks

PostPosted: April 18th, 2017, 4:38 pm 

I have done tacos a couple of times on trips. They can be a bit fussy with all of the things that need to be re-hydrated but they are tasty.
To start with, tortilla's are easy to find and keep for a long time until you open the package. We usually use the large (12") size because it is easier to fold them up and keep most of the contents inside the taco.
We re-hydrate hamburger, salsa, sour cream, and re-fried beans. Grate cheese - we usually use old cheddar because that's what we usually bring on trips. If you like, you can bring some tomatoes and head lettuce if it's a shorter trip.
We usually keep things separated so that people can customize their tacos. Warm the hamburger mixed with the salsa, warm the re-fried beans and warm the tortillas in a frying pan. Serve it buffet-style. Cerveza fria is a nice addition.
Not fancy but they taste good.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2017, 5:00 pm 

One package (large) tortilla wraps.

One onion, one bell pepper, one small tin of salsa, as much cheese as you can carry, spicy dry sausage.

Above ingredients will stuff 2 people.

Saute the onion and pepper, add sausage then add salsa when done and set aside (try to keep warm)

Shred or crumble the cheese, use GOOD cheese, a 4 year cheddar and Gruyere make a nice combo

Place tortilla wrap in greased pan, add filling mix, make a "ring" of cheese around the edge (it's the glue) with the rest in the middle (thin), place a second tortilla on top. When the bottom is a bit brown and crispy flip to do the same for the other side.

Cut in half and consume then repeat as many times as you can handle and/or your filling runs out.

You can add pretty much whatever suits your fancy to the filling along with additional seasoning to taste.

Tips:

I prefer multigrain tortillas.
You can't have TOO much cheese (and besides the ring around the outer edge there should be some cheese on top of the salsa filling.
You can substitute chicken chunks (canned) instead of sausage (or omit entirely for vegetarian version).
If you are not confident in your flipping skills you can just put the filling on one half and fold over the single tortilla.
If the salsa mix is too watery you may end up with a mess so either cook out the extra water or drain it off before adding it on top of the tortilla.

Basically you are making a quesadilla.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2017, 6:13 pm 

It really depends on what day you'll be cooking but I've done just about everything I do at home as long as it is on day 2 or 3. Just make sure to start out with frozen meat and wrap it well in some kind of insulation. Even on day 3 it should be still good and cold. Regular tacos are easy as long as you use wraps not hard shells. We've also done something like fajitas with strips of meat (chicken and beef) with all the veg you normally like cut in largish strips and fried. Like big red or vidalia onions, bell peppers, and the likes. Fry up the veg and meat - use whatever sauce you'd normally use at home - the dry powdered mixes are lightest weight if that is a factor for you - and serve in the soft wraps. Add some cheese and bob's your uncle.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2017, 6:43 pm 

I dehydrate a good Mexican/Spanish rice recipe, also (separately) taco herb/spice flavored ground beef, salsa, refried beans (RFBs dehydrate and rehydrate perfectly - get the low fat version cans). I bring along fresh cheddar cheese and a fresh onion to chop. Rehydrate the ingredients separately and fold into a tortilla.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2017, 7:54 pm 

Ralph - where do you find dehydrated sour cream, or do you dehydrate it yourself.

Taco Salad has long been a night one tradition for my trips - bag of nacho chips, ground meat, taco seasoning,onion, pepper, salsa, sour cream, hot sauce and cheese. Put crushed chips in bowl and add whatever toppings you wish. Will also do the same meal but with wraps later in the trip with dehydrated ingredients or with freshly caught fish.

rab

PostPosted: April 18th, 2017, 11:34 pm 

Sour cream - I dehydrated the low fat/no fat version. I put it on sheets and when it is dry, I break up the resulting layer and put the pieces in the blender. The re-hydrated result is grainier (is that a word?) than the original but the flavour is very good.
I see that Hoosier Hill has sour cream powder which I haven't tried but might order just to test it out.
https://www.amazon.ca/Hoosier-Hill-Farm ... sour+cream

PostPosted: April 20th, 2017, 11:36 am 

Tortillas keep much better if you put rounds of waxed paper between them. This stops them from de-laminating.

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: April 20th, 2017, 10:17 pm 

Thanks for the advice. I think I might try to make some tacos with onion, salsa and cheese (maybe some old cheddar)

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2017, 10:13 pm 

Try 'Walking Tacos':

Bags of Fritos for everyone. Set them next to the fire to warm. Prepare a chili - make it fresh right there, precook and freeze, or open up a can. Everyone gets a bag of warm Fritos - pour chili into the bag over the chips; add salsa or sour cream and cheese. Roll the top of the bag closed and let the chips soak up the chili and everything melt together. No dishes. Leftover chili is great in the next morning's eggs.

(survivalist tip - Fritos are both water-resistant and flammable.)