It is currently April 25th, 2019, 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Boiled bannock
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2017, 11:43 am 

I like bannock but I find it tedious to make. I use a small firebox these days, which lends itself to hot fires rather than the slow, lower temperature burns required to cook bannock without burning it. So I started cooking my bannock first by boiling/steaming it.

I make the bannock dough in the usual way as a disk about the same size as the frying pan. I fill the pan about half full of water and bring it to boil. I have a metal plate which also works as a loose lid on the pan. Once the water is boiling I put in the dough, cover the pan and let it boil for about 5 minutes.

I then decant the water, holding the lid on with a gloved hand, and tip the now-cooked dough into the plate. I suppose you could eat it as is but I like to fry it to get that nice crust. I put some butter or oil in the pan, and fry the bannock for a couple of minutes per side, just to brown it. Finished.

The resulting bannock is really nice, a bit lighter than traditionally cooked bannock. I find it easier to cook it this way on a hot fire, because you can't burn it in water. No more burn't-on-the-outside-raw-on-the-inside. It takes some practice to get all the steps right but once you do it is quite easy.

Try it, it works.

Kinguq.

Post subject: Re: Boiled bannock
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2017, 11:00 pm 

Thanks for the idea. :thumbup:
I'll definitely give this a try.
I just made bannock for Canada Day supper to go along with a bison stew. Your method sounds like it would be perfect for this. Wild blueberry grunt for dessert which also uses small pieces of bannock. Did everything outside on the bbq. (Yes, even my desserts have to be done on the bbq.)
Also heading up to Killarney and then the French in August so, again, this method sounds great.

Thanks again.
Cheers Ted

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2017, 7:23 am 

This idea is another "why didn't I think of that"? Great suggestion and something that makes a lot of sense. It is a similar technique used for other types of dishes that I will have to try someday. Thanks for sharing the idea.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2017, 9:28 am 

Great idea for hot fires, thanks Kinguk.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2017, 9:30 am 

Thanks, I'm going to have to give this a try.