|Canadian Canoe Routes
|4ppm solution chlorine dioxide: health concerns?
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||melissamon [ September 2nd, 2018, 11:19 am ]|
|Post subject:||4ppm solution chlorine dioxide: health concerns?|
I read that guidelines for drinking water in Canada are 1.2 mg/L. The micropur tabs create a chlorine dioxide solution of 4 ppm. One thousanth of a gram is one milligram and 1000 ml is one liter, so that 1 ppm = 1 mg per liter = mg/Liter.
Am I poisoning myself by using these tablets when camping?
|Author:||va3spt [ September 3rd, 2018, 10:54 pm ]|
|Post subject:||Re: 4ppm solution chlorine dioxide: health concerns?|
It has been a long time since I had taken my operators course Small Drinking Water Systems, 2005, I believe.
The standard was/is to have 0.5 mg/L of residual chlorine.
This is after all the free chlorine had been used up killing all the nasties in the water and interacting with the water chemistry.
"The EPA requires treated tap water to have a detectable level of chlorine to help prevent contamination. The allowable chlorine levels in drinking water (up to 4 parts per million) pose “no known or expected health risk [including] an adequate margin of safety.”Mar 30, 2010"
Time and temperature is also a factor in treating drinking water. The colder the water the longer the contact time.
So you may start out with 4 mg/L of free chlorine, but after it has done it job the amount of residual chlorine would be lower. (in a nutshell)
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC - 5 hours|
|Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group