It is currently January 23rd, 2021, 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2018, 11:19 am 

Joined: May 25th, 2017, 6:41 am
Posts: 1
I read that guidelines for drinking water in Canada are 1.2 mg/L. The micropur tabs create a chlorine dioxide solution of 4 ppm. One thousanth of a gram is one milligram and 1000 ml is one liter, so that 1 ppm = 1 mg per liter = mg/Liter.
Am I poisoning myself by using these tablets when camping? :o

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2018, 10:54 pm 
User avatar

Joined: March 24th, 2007, 9:28 am
Posts: 303
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
It has been a long time since I had taken my operators course Small Drinking Water Systems, 2005, I believe.
The standard was/is to have 0.5 mg/L of residual chlorine.
This is after all the free chlorine had been used up killing all the nasties in the water and interacting with the water chemistry.

"The EPA requires treated tap water to have a detectable level of chlorine to help prevent contamination. The allowable chlorine levels in drinking water (up to 4 parts per million) pose “no known or expected health risk [including] an adequate margin of safety.”Mar 30, 2010"

Time and temperature is also a factor in treating drinking water. The colder the water the longer the contact time.

So you may start out with 4 mg/L of free chlorine, but after it has done it job the amount of residual chlorine would be lower. (in a nutshell)

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group