It is currently June 13th, 2021, 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: May 9th, 2021, 7:51 pm 

Odyssey wrote:
He was misunderstood.

It's a common problem :roll:

I was suckered until "ankle deep" when my sarcasm detector kicked in :thumbup:

PostPosted: May 10th, 2021, 6:34 am 

Wes, don't take it personally. You are new here and dont know the history - it's a "bear" thread so the odds are pretty high that it's going to go sideways. This post being a case in point, adding to the inanity.

"ankle deep"
I've occasionally made the effort to get down to the thermocline. Not often though.
I find that if I leave the container open to the air at night and store it in the bottom of the boat shaded and insulated with something over it stays cool. Well, cool enough; my standards are pretty low.
Also if you haven't already found this out the cheap cans they make these days will puncture or wear through really easily if they are loose in a container. Best bet it to leave them in the original box with that plastic ring thingy on. Otherwise I've found that wrapping them individually with a paper towel and packing them such that they don't move much works well. Layer rows with cardboard.
I've got a bag that perfectly fits a 12-pack on it's edge and one of those wine boxes. At camp pull the red wine out to warm a bit before supper and put the bag in the shade in a cool damp hollow if possible. Also, you can blow up that bladder in the box and use it as a pillow.
What I find works really well is to also bring a healthy young person to port my bag for me. Load them down with enough weight that I can out-run them. In case of bears after my case of beers.
Cheers

PostPosted: May 10th, 2021, 8:20 am 

When I first heard of the idea of submerging food, probably 10 yrs ago?? I wondered just how that might work. I took one of the small olive barrels and attempted to submerge it in my swimming pool.

It was a fun science experiment. IIRC I needed about 2 concrete cinder blocks to fully submerge the barell. They way about 30lbs (13kg) each. I used a mesh cargo holder that came with my truck. It ended up about 4ft deep.

The seal on the barell, despite being new and srewed on very tightly, did not hold so there was leakage. All that to say finding 60lbs of rock, and then having to pull that 60lb up out of the water is not in any way practical.

Cheers,
MikeD.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2021, 11:53 am 

Odyssey wrote:
I have done this and can swear it really works, so everybody back off my buddy Wes.
Yes the principles of science kick in just when you least expect them to but with a little patience and determination I get it done. The sealed and secured items sink to the ankle depth required and can be safely retrieved when needed. So right around beer o'clock my cans come out of the lake fridge nicely chilled and make the perfect accompaniment to the food I've kept safe and secure in a meticulously clean food barrel kept stashed safe and sound off trail off site in the woods. Voilà. Pas de problème every time.
Never had any bear beer raids yet. They haven't found my food either.

HAHA, good one!! I was thinking the same thing, who hasn't sunk a few 6 packs over the years, it works very well. As for the food barrel, I hope the OP films this endeavour and posts it, I think we could all use a good laugh in these times.

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey

PostPosted: May 10th, 2021, 7:02 pm 

re keeping beer cold--- I usually put 1 or 2 in a mash back with a rock and sink it in the deepest water I can find at the campsite. I have had a mishap with those cans, prob from just bumping against the rock. I thought about duct taping the cans. I used to freeze a 2 l plastic bottle of Wells but that is no longer avail here in Ont. And don't try to tell me that freezing ruins the taste. I never had anyone refuse a swig or 2 of cold beer because it had been frozen. :D

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2021, 7:18 pm 

2 litres Wells Beer frozen in cooler I thought I was the only one that used to do that.Wish they’d bring them back!

PostPosted: May 10th, 2021, 10:30 pm 

For sure sink your food. No way a bear can get it then. But 1m is not deep enough. You should paddle out to at least 3M deep. Bears are really good swimmers, they can dive down 3-4M to catch fish.

Now, if you just barely sink your barrel, it can get taken by currents or wind and you might not find it. Make sure you use lots of weight. I recommend a small danforth anchor for this, they can be easily portaged strapped to the outside of the pack. Or, you can tie it to an end of your canoe.

If you go to MEC or the Portage store in Algonquin ask them for a 'food anchor', if the clerk doesn't know what you are referring to. Tell them to get some experience and ask for the manager.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2021, 10:41 pm 

Dan. wrote:
For sure sink your food. No way a bear can get it then. But 1m is not deep enough. You should paddle out to at least 3M deep. Bears are really good swimmers, they can dive down 3-4M to catch fish.

Now, if you just barely sink your barrel, it can get taken by currents or wind and you might not find it. Make sure you use lots of weight. I recommend a small danforth anchor for this, they can be easily portaged strapped to the outside of the pack. Or, you can tie it to an end of your canoe.

If you go to MEC or the Portage store in Algonquin ask them for a 'food anchor', if the clerk doesn't know what you are referring to. Tell them to get some experience and ask for the manager.

:lol:

PostPosted: May 10th, 2021, 10:56 pm 

Well, it seems that the OP may be off learning about physics, so I'll ask this now;

For jbishop2112, or anyone else, please and thank you, I have been scratching my head for a day now, what does PHPbb stand for in your post?

Thanks very much, cheers!

Ubique

PostPosted: May 10th, 2021, 11:00 pm 

guyfawkes041 wrote:
Well, it seems that the OP may be off learning about physics, so I'll ask this now;

For jbishop2112, or anyone else, please and thank you, I have been scratching my head for a day now, what does PHPbb stand for in your post?

Thanks very much, cheers!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhpBB

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 11:21 am 

Just caught this thread for the first time now and glad I did. Literally belly laughed a couple of times! ...a very welcome 10-minute distraction from work.

....an airtight barrel stashed 50m from camp and bear spray within reach....peace of mind....good night....zzzz

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 11:53 am 

Canoe Daddy wrote:
Just caught this thread for the first time now and glad I did. Literally belly laughed a couple of times! ...a very welcome 10-minute distraction from work.

....an airtight barrel stashed 50m from camp and bear spray within reach....peace of mind....good night....zzzz

Further 'optional" precautions---put barrel inside garbage bag, tie pots to it, put it between rocks or stumps where bears are unlikely to go etc

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 12:08 pm 

This question is for the old myccrer's who have been around a while.

After trying unsuccessfully to submerge your food, should you try to shoot the bear with a 12 gauge slug before or after you take a leak in the lake, or should you spray the bear while standing in your tent on the tarp on your floor, not the one under your floor?

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 12:11 pm 

RHaslam wrote:

After trying unsuccessfully to submerge your food, should you try to shoot the bear with a 12 gauge slug before or after you take a leak in the lake, or should you spray the bear while standing in your tent on the tarp on your floor, not the one under your floor?

and don't forget to change your footwear from "wet shoes" to your "around camp" shoes after submerging the food :lol:

PostPosted: May 11th, 2021, 12:39 pm 

RHaslam wrote:

What about shooting the bear with a 12 ga slug from your favourite firearm to take canoeing; you know, the one that you carry around in your gas guzzling pick up truck, while taking a leak in the lake on your way to get another beer?
Canoeists never put a tarp inside the tent, you should know that! :tsk:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next