It is currently August 7th, 2020, 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 4th, 2020, 6:17 am 

From appraiser: The canoe does look in reasonable shape with no major problems. It looks like it could be a "Chestnut" brand canoe. Very popular in Canada, built in Fredicton New Brunswick but many of them found their way into the states. But it could be by some small time builder also. Chestnut usually had a logo on the fwd deck but it might have been rubbed off in a the past. The birch bark design does not look original just because it looks like it had a fiberglass covering. The original boat most likely had a canvas covering and sometime in the past someone replaced the canvas with the fiberglass and painted the birchbark design. The boat does have rusted steel bolts for the thwarts and seat frames. They still look solid. The white rings around the small tacks on the inside of the boat show that may of the brass canoe tacks are corroding. It does not look like its serious yet and it may never.There is a little bit of damage at each end at the tip of the decks and rails which is typical of boats of this age. It’s a nice old canoe that appears to be well taken care of. It would still be good to use or it would make a fairly easy restoration project for some one that did not want too big of restoration challenge. $600 moniqueheller@comcast.net Canoe located in Essex, CT

(I don’t know why the images are appearing upside down, they’re right side up when I add them to posting)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2020, 11:47 am 

Monique,
Any chance of more photos of the decks and ribs? And dimensions: Width and depth at centre thwart, please.

Nice canoe for easy restoration- once you get rid of the glass!- but this doesn't look like a Chestnut.
The decks, thwarts, and rawhide seat lacing aren't typical Chestnut- more along the lines of a Huron. And carrying handles on a 15footer???

Nice canoe- and good price, but I don't think it's a Chestnut!

Bruce

PostPosted: July 5th, 2020, 8:08 am 

Thank you, Bruce - I'll try to get more pictures & measurements when I'm at my Dad's again. Thanks for the info about the manufacturer. The appraiser thought that the Chestnut logo may have been "rubbed off" during restoration/replacement of canvas with fiberglass.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2020, 8:10 am 

Update from appraiser: The ribs and planking are white cedar, the rails appear to be spruce and the thwarts, seat frames and decks appear to be ash. The seat frames are laced with leather strips.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2020, 2:03 pm 

Length 15 1/2 feet
Beam 37”
Bow & Stern 14”
Weight 70 lbs
Center Thwart 12”
Stern depth 14
Bow depth 15 1/2”

PostPosted: July 5th, 2020, 6:58 pm 

Thank you for the additional information and dimensions.
The length, beam and depth are Bobs Special like but the thwarts, ribs, lack of keel and seats aren't. I'm still thinking perhaps one of the Huron manufacturers.

BTW you might have better luck identifying it over on Wooden Canoe Heritage Association. Try WCHA.org/forums

Good luck Monique.

Bruce

PostPosted: July 6th, 2020, 7:02 am 

Thank you, Bruce