It is currently July 27th, 2021, 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2021, 11:54 am 

Hi,

My good friend is getting married and we are looking to get them a canoe for tripping as a wedding gift. I'm hoping to find them a Kevlar 15'6" to 16' but would consider a royalex lite or similar newer materials. The budget from the wedding party is $2000. If anyone has a gem they'd like to see go to an amazing canoeing couple please let me know!

Thanks

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2021, 6:24 pm 

Used boats are a hot item this year. I mean HOT. You can pretty much rule it out, for all intents and purposes. Anything in great condition will sell for a price approaching that of a new boat, and will be gone in a matter of hours once posted for sale. A friend of mine just sold a 16 year-old kevlar canoe two weeks ago. There was virtually a bidding war over it, and he got $800 more for it than he paid new in 2004.

You'd be better off putting in an order ASAP from a manufacturer and hope you can get one in time for the wedding. If you can get a few more guests / family / friends to contribute, a 16' Nova Craft Prospector in Tuff Stuff could be within reach. A fantastic all-rounder of a canoe. Very durable, and a reasonable weight.

Keep us posted. Good luck!

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: March 28th, 2021, 10:41 am 

I saw a fiberglass Kipawa posted for $1200 on Kijiji the other day... gone in a day or two. I would never spend that much money on a fiberglass boat, personally. A few years back, you couldn't sell them to a guy stranded on an island for more than $500.

Apologies to the OP for derailing. You should put a Kijiji alert out. If you have an Android phone, look up "Canadian Classifieds Alerter". Worked well for me scooping up canoe deals in years past. To be honest, I haven't seen much in the way of sub-$2000 boats this year. Good luck!

PostPosted: March 28th, 2021, 11:14 am 

There is a 16' Scott Prospector in expedition-tough kevlar in Niagara Falls... might be talked down to $2000. Always stored in garage so shouldn't be deteriorated by UV, but has shoe keel. Would move on this one if this is what you want and if it is still available.

---------------------

16 foot Scott prospector canoe. Expedition kevlar (extra reinforcing). 2 years old with only about 100kms of creek paddling. Has been stored in garage since day of purchase. Canoe weighs 60 lbs. Comes with a shoe keel. Can't ship or deliver.

https://www.mec.ca/en/gearswap/post/666271