It is currently July 27th, 2021, 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 14th, 2021, 5:31 pm 

Good for you hooligan. :clap: Enjoy your sleeps.

For those worried about what's going to happen after they sell the canoe... if the boat has some "importance" don't be shy to ask for references so you know that it's going to a good home.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2021, 5:33 pm 

hooligan wrote:
Talk about flipping on Kijiji . . .

Sold the Esquif yesterday only to see it advertised later that afternoon for substantially more than what I was asking.

I was pleased with what I received so I guess I cannot complain.

You also do not know how much he got or might get for it.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2021, 5:57 pm 

Airbag wrote:
If someone wants to speculate on canoes, so be it.

Anyways, back to the Vertige, and solo Royalex boats in general. They're a much smaller market, of very specialized paddlers. I doubt solo royalex boats have seen the price inflation tandems have.

Oh but they have! It is a small market but there is also very little supply especially in Southern Ontario where the majority of canoes for sale are tandem flatwater boats.

Boats I would never been interest in unless they were $800 or less (that's what I've paid for all the Royalex solo's that I have bought in the last 10 years) now those boats would be a real bargain for $1200 and if you are willing to wait 4 or 5 days to make the sale closer to $2000.

Partially it's Covid panic but a lot of it is the price for new similar (T-Formex) boats is up to twice what a Royalex version would have cost in 2012.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2021, 6:21 pm 

I hear what Ted says about karma and sleeping well and both parties being happy after a deal, but that doesn't necessarily mean the seller accepting less then they could get otherwise. The very nature of a consummated deal implies both parties were "happy".

If you are not in a hurry to sell I don't see what's wrong with advertising what you think is a stupid high price. It provides a real test of the actual market value and seems to me a not-unreasonable or immoral thing to do. And if someone is happy to pay then be happy to take their money. I don't think it would advance the likelihood of my canonization but also don't think it would make me a bad person or leave me lacking sleep, racked with guilt and shame.

I looked into a boat I'm thinking of selling (as a way of mollifying my mate when I mention the price of one of those new light laminates that I'd like) - a Wenonah Solo Plus in Royalex in very good condition. It's a flatwater canoe rigged for both tandem and as a large volume solo. High initial stability and not much secondary (confirmed by CCR member KipawaRob). I'd say it's in excellent condition except for the usual patina of surface scratches on the bottom from typical cottage use.

The current retail for that boat made out of their good but still inferior Royalex replacement "Tuf-weave" retails on their website for $2,799 USD, about $3400 Cdn. I could see a prospective buyer looking at that and thinking they'll save $1,000 buying Krusty's "nearly new" one for $2400. I don't remember for sure but think I paid less than $1000 used years ago. Wow! So, knowing how expensive it is/might be to replace it I'm now probably going to keep it. I've got 2 or 3 other old beaters that haven't been out of the shed in years that I'll sacrifice instead.

Edited to add that thinking about it this is an even better idea: "You are right again Dear, I've got too many canoes. I can free up some room in the shed like you wanted by replacing those two old clunkers over the wood pile with one of those new light ones I can throw on top of the Prospector. Will cost some but you're worth it Darling".
<Yeah, definitely not sainthood material>