It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 27th, 2020, 1:53 pm 

Late November I drove almost 3 hours northwest from North Bay to ride a 40 km loop around Yorston Lake. I parked by the old log camp at the steel bridge on the Yorston River, just past the logging road that heads towards Twinkle. There was no snow in town but it started getting white on the 805, with an inch or two on the ride. There were two water crossing to deal with. The first was a flooded section on the trail towards Bull but it had just enough ice to get across walking my bike and distributing my mass. Some lakes were half ice covered, we had only had nights with not much colder than -10 C. The second was the river crossing at the north end of Linger Lake on the way back to the main logging road. I used large garbage bags as socks with old sneakers and made it across. I had contemplated bringing my packraft, and if I try the loop again in the spring I will use it.
I had intended on staying overnight as I wasn't sure if I could complete the trip in one day. With the short days though ( boring long nights) and pannier failure I decided to press on.
I started at first light and had about a half hour of driving before darkness was setting in. Wasn't much energy left pedaling the last section of logging road from Twinkle!
I had canoed in with my wife in September up to Asabi Lake starting down the Ames Creek across Linger and Seagram and we had a great trip.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2020, 1:55 pm 

We camped at Linger on the way back on our canoe trip. Plenty of hunters mess there.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2020, 1:57 pm 

Sure was glad to make it back to the logging road.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2020, 2:42 pm 

Thanks for the ride! :clap:

I'm slowly starting to like fatbiking myself.

PostPosted: September 14th, 2021, 9:50 am 

I did another route crossing the Sturgeon River.
https://youtu.be/3Z7wDY3YQVE