It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 26th, 2022, 7:54 pm 

For winter trekking I wear a merino wool base layer under heavy wool pants, but sometimes the wind is ripping so hard that it cuts through and freezes my kneeses. What do other people do to overcome this problem? My ideal windbreaker pants can wick moisture as well as wool. Plus it needs to have full length side zippers for ease of egress, and is large enough not to restrict movement. I'd prefer something lightweight, so nothing Insulated or is only light insulation. Does this exist or am I gonna have to get friendly with a sewing machine? What would be the best material? Cotton like my anorak? Thanks.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2022, 2:23 am 

You need a time machine to back to a time when Mountain Equipment made some very nice 3 layer Gor-Tex pants, pretty light weight with full length two-way zippers.

Unfortunately like most of the original line of MEC branded/designed clothing they are long gone, replaced by much lower quality, less functionality and some of worlds worst colours.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2022, 5:44 am 

Maybe an added rip stop nylon or other resistant windproof material "knee patch" sewed on the outside would help. It could also serve as protection for the wool when kneeling. Good luck.

Interesting article:
https://www.orthobethesda.com/blog/why-knee-joint-pain-increase-when-its-cold/

GG

email: geraldguay@hotmail.com

PostPosted: September 27th, 2022, 6:48 am 

Dtow ya exactly - you need cotton, same as the anorak.

The problem with rain pants (even goretex) is that they don't have enough room for the wool pant underlaters.

I found that army surplus pants (specifically wi.ter pants) are perfect. Something like this:

https://www.herooutdoors.com/italian-ar ... amo-pants/

Cheers
Marko

PostPosted: September 27th, 2022, 7:13 am 

I made wind pants out of a breathable microfibre fabric and they work well. Bib pants are great because they have a chimney effect at the top, unlike pants that are cinched at the waist.

That said I hardly ever wear them while trekking. I find the wool pants and wool underwear combination plenty warm enough in almost all conditions.

Kinguq.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2022, 8:07 am 

MarkoMrko wrote:
I found that army surplus pants (specifically wi.ter pants) are perfect. Something like this:

https://www.herooutdoors.com/italian-ar ... amo-pants/

Cheers
Marko

I found these to be quite good: Canadian Army Wind Pants https://www.herooutdoors.com/canadian-m ... ants-used/

PostPosted: September 27th, 2022, 8:42 am 

These are great ideas. Thanks! I'm considering the white pants - it's a good deal if they work. The MEC pants sound perfect too, but my DeLorean was destroyed by a train a while back.

I suppose ripping out a couple of side seams and adding in zippers up the legs is easier than starting from scratch. I don't need them often, but occasionally I've had the wind rise up and freeze whatever is between the bottom of my anorak and the top of my boots. Something lightweight like these suggestions should do the trick.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2022, 9:46 pm 

recped wrote:
You need a time machine to back to a time when Mountain Equipment made some very nice 3 layer Gor-Tex pants, pretty light weight with full length two-way zippers.

Unfortunately like most of the original line of MEC branded/designed clothing they are long gone, replaced by much lower quality, less functionality and some of worlds worst colours.

They are great. Can still be found out there in good shape. Nice and light. Full two way zippers and goretex

PostPosted: November 7th, 2022, 9:47 am 

I haven't done any true winter camping but have wanted to get into it, CRAFT and a lot of other Nordic Ski Brands do windproof shell pants that have a DWR coating on them. They have some that are breathable and some that are fully windproof. I have a pair of breathable ones that are also windproof. They have breathable mesh in the armpit of your knee.

Might be something to check into.. Probably not though.

https://www.craftsportswear.com/global/ ... 435-914000

These seem interesting... ^

PostPosted: November 10th, 2022, 12:01 am 

Strange, no matter what pants I wear, I never have trouble breaking wind.