It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2002, 4:08 pm 

I'm also interested Bob and still looking myself. If it comes to it I have a canvas one that I can use to extrapolate from. Dave Hadfield care to enlighten us on your experience with your hybrid nylon/canvas?
Sid

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2002, 4:44 pm 

Thanks, Sid - hope to see all you folks in February. If it works out, I may be able to source the fabric at a pretty good price and will post the details if appropriate.

Bob

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: maddogbob on 2002-11-08 17:09 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2002, 5:25 pm 

You mean the one in Bill Mason's - Song of the Paddle?

complete with dimensions, instructions and stuff!

that kind?

Look also to the names: Baker, Shed tent, Herder's tent from way back 1909...
All weather tent, Reflector tent, and Lean-to

Georgi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Georgi on 2002-11-08 17:29 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2002, 5:31 pm 

Georgi, I'm off to the library!! thanks. Had lunch with Richard today he's thinkin' campfire style with a stove and that's a good possibility as well. Janet thinks we're dangerous, but fortunately we're also cute.
Sid

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2002, 5:36 pm 

which one of you has more heat output though?! :grin: ( no comment required!)

I guess the prostector is a Double Baker, by the looks of it....

Billy's book has dimensions, just checked...he also has pictures of the hunker down ,winter mode, Campfire tent as well.

Georgi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Georgi on 2002-11-08 17:38 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2002, 6:12 pm 

Prospector is a straight wall 'cabin' tent, also sometimes called a walltent.

Open front is a Baker or Herder or Mason or Campfire lean-to style tent.

Actually, I'm thinking now about an Explorer tent, as seen on this page at the Bushwhacker site. Most likely a hybrid, mainly coated nylon, with selected areas of cotton canvas in proximity to the stove.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2002, 10:32 pm 

Richard

Yup, I just Meant take the dimensions of a Baker tent ( campfire tent, what have you) and use it as your guideline.

From looks only other then adjusting the opening side, you rip a prospector down the middle, you pretty well have that Baker look ( Lean-to, or whatyacallit)

Georgi

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2002, 10:52 pm 

I am still working on how to get to Sudbury. Maybe the bus...will let you know closer to departure date if that is alright with everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2002, 6:10 am 

Debbie Thats fine at this end . Just let us know and we'll be at the station to pick you up . Scouter Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2002, 6:30 am 

Debbie
Would like to see you come. My wife is hoping that some other women will be going. It looks like there will be a few.

Georgi
I am thinking about making a winter tent as well. I have an old top off a tent trailer (not the hard top but soft top) that I've kept for a long time. Back then it was like new. I think I could modify this into a Baker style tent fairly easy or even a long narrow prospector tent. The last time it was used was hunting mule deer in the Interior of BC. I think I'll dig it out this afternoon. This talk has got me itching for snow and to get out and try this stuff before the big Budd Exploration. Most of the snow has gone from North Bay now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2002, 10:13 am 

I had a canvas wall tent that I used for elk and mule deer hunts in Wyoming. The tent is long gone, but I still have the stove, ceiling flange and flue pipe & damper. The stove is 13"w -11"h- 23"l. The door is 10"- 7 1/2" opening. The ceiling flange is for a 5" flue. You's are welcome to it if it will help any. Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2002, 11:42 am 

Hi Tony, if you're not needing it anymore bring it on up, I'll take it off your hands for sure. Did you manage to retrieve your paintings file yet?
Sid and Jan

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2002, 1:52 pm 

Count me in for the Tuesday to Sunday.
I am trying to figure out how to fit all the gear,two dogs and myself into the Tercel...that's going to be impossible.
My brother has a very old Safari ( 91' and in bad shape...but it sure would be big enough)so I'll ask to borrow it.
Georgi and Bill...as the date gets closer we might discuss car-pooling or convoying arrangements.
Sid...do you have room for me and the dogs in the basement?...or the shed...or the outhouse...or the.....
If not a cheap motel should suffice.
I'm also very interested in making a canvas wall-tent/portable stove in preparation for the trip.

Mike S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 10th, 2002, 3:03 pm 

Mike:

You're probably aware of this, but the dogs can't go on the train unless they're crated and in the baggage car. I guess you'll have to take the crates off when we get off and hide them in the bush to recover them when we're on the way back out.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 10th, 2002, 8:39 pm 

My hybrid wall tent?

Well, just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, a wall tent looks like a cabin. A simple cabin, except made of fabric.

When I had mine made I couldn't find Egytian Cotton, so I improvised -- I had most of the tent made of ordinary, uncoated rip-stop nylon; the stuff your windbreaker used to be made of. For the corner where the stove goes, I had them sew it up out of horrible modern 10oz fire-retardent-treated polycotton. This means about 48inches of the roof, 48" of the front sidewall, and that side of the front door are all made out of the clunky fabric.

Shoot, I've got to sign off -- my daughter needs to research something on the Internet....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next