It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2002, 7:34 pm 

How far is the hike in to base camp when you get off the train? Dates don't matter to me, and I think 3nites will do, but then you only really get "into it" after the 3rd day, me anyways.....so maybe I would stay 6 days as long as I wasn't by myself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2002, 8:00 pm 

Debbie . Right now we haven't got the exact location picked . Smokie is looking for some information on fishing on a few lakes south of Bisco . Another possibility is Lake Pogamasing . Jim Little of Sundog Outfitters said that there is an excellant location on Pejeke Lake . That would be about 4 Kms .From the train tracks . I would think that this would be at the long end of distance . Would like to get at least a couple of kilometers from the tracks to get away from the noisy trains though.
Whats everyones feeling on the Outdoor Adventure Show . Is there enough people that would like to go to that . Should we consider another date ? Scouter Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2002, 8:11 pm 

Where and when is Outdoors Adventure Show you're talking about Scouter Joe? Never heard of it before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2002, 8:25 pm 

The Outdoor Adventure Show is at the International Centre near the airport in Toronto.
It's a good show but I don't plan to attend this year. So the proposed Gathering date is fine with me. Other dates would be fine too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2002, 8:30 pm 

The outdoor adventure show is February 21, 22 & 23

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2002, 11:00 pm 

Tripper Dave, I don't know, but some places let you rent snowshoes... mind you they are not the better kind that I have seen rented but I did like the ones I rented for my buddy on our winter trip last year.

This year, his spouse bought him a pair so I guess two good things came from the winter outing. one - he liked it! and two, his wife want's him to go and enjoy a winter trip!

you do need ski poles to hike as well so those end of the year garage sales, usually somebody will sell their cross country ski's . I picked up mine for $5.00 this way.

even borrow, beg or ...

Good luck

Georgi

Shoot, Princeton is like a hop skip and a jump to Novack's! That's where I rented his, and I borrowed some poles for him, I wouldn't mind looking into borrowing some if you can't get any.

My apologies, I can't figure out where half of the small-town Ontario places are unless I have been there...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Georgi on 2002-11-02 23:06 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2002, 11:52 pm 

Why don't we just have our own Outdoor Adventure Show?

As for snowshoes, the old wood ones that are shaped like a teardrop "nest" as you walk. You don't have to walk with your legs apart, as long as you step out a bit. The new ones are all oval-shaped, so you always have to walk with your legs apart.

Also many of the modern ones have so little floatation that they appear to be made for walking on already-packed trails. In deep soft snow you need as much surface area as you can get, yet the snow has to spill off and through the shoe when you lift your foot.

Human beings can make anything work. If you buy the modern ones, you'll survive. But I see no need to change.

If weight isn't too critical I take 2 types: a set of long skinny snowshoes with pointed-up ends (very good for breaking trail) and a set of modified bear-paws (good for camp-work).

One thing about traditional types -- they can be repaired in the bush. As for aluminum, it's hard to fix a weld with an axe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2002, 8:47 am 

In my own experience, modern snowshoes are much easier to use. When I bought MSR snowshoes, my wife thought she would claim mty traditionals. She tried them & then the MSR's. The result was another pair of modern snowshoes. The traditionals stayed home. They have been used by my sons but only when there weren't enough modern ones to go around.

When I joined 2 friends for an Algonquin trek in '98, I wore MSR's with their extensions. One friend had traditionals & the other had modern shoes with aluminum tube frame & hypalon decking. At the end of the trek, they pronounced my MSR's to be the ugliest, noisiest, best working snowshoes. They had much better traction than the other designs on steep slopes. They fit better through dense bush than the wider traditionals. On the negative side, they tend to nosedive a bit in really deep snow because there's too little area at the toe.

I also have a pair of 42" round tail Fabers with wood frame & plastic deck. They have plenty of surface area for floatation & are a lot lighter than the MSR's. Walking may be a bit more awkward, they are lousy on slopes & I wouldn't trust the plastic deck to stand up on a long trip. So I only use them for day hikes. I don't sink in as far as with the MSR's but don't notice that it makes much difference in energy expended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2002, 6:40 pm 

Is anyone taking cross country skies? With the five days there would be ample time to set some trails. I plan to take mine, as well as snowshoes.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bill P on 2002-11-03 18:42 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2002, 7:43 pm 

Yes, I'll be bringing back country skis as well as my western snowshoes.

cheers, Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2002, 11:35 pm 

I called Bearskin Airline to check the rate to Sudbury round trip...814 Dollars!!! SO I won't be going this year..maybe next time. Am learning LOTS from all you on this great site, thanks..Can't wait till you go and come back with all the stories...The train ride it's self sounds like a hoot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4th, 2002, 1:53 am 

Sorry you can't make it Debbie. I'm not yet sure if I can either but I just hope for the best.

Does anyone have any links, ideas, etc. on building a tow sled to haul gear in?

I have two old downhill skis that might work if I can find a way to adapt them.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4th, 2002, 6:55 am 

Check out the scout books . We made one about 10 years ago and its still in good shape dispite the scouts best efforts to destroy it . It also pulls fairly easy and holds a big load . Scouter Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4th, 2002, 7:11 am 

We bought a set each of the Atlas aluminum frame etc snowshoes, lets see, this will be our 3rd winter and we love them. Sorry, but walking with you legs spread is not true. These shoes are extremely light and 99% maintenance free. What we like about these is the harness. Once you are clamped in, you are in. None of this lamp wick harness stuff. I was down that road 20 years ago. The crampons on the bottom are wonderful. Lets you walk up hills or on side hills where with traditional shoes you will slide. I do agree that you don't have the flotaton of the larger shoes which only makes sense, however we have not run into a situation yet where it slowed us down. The only problem we had was a little plastic clip that holds the heel strap broke but I was still able to use them with no problems. I sent an email to the company and they sent up 4 spares. Other than this problem we have absolutely no problems.
I will be making a haul sled for this trip and together with the plastic CTC model we should be able to carry all our gear. I made one several years ago, only smaller for hauling our firewood by hand and worked like a hot-damn.
Hey Debbie, too bad you can't make it. The cost of the flight is pretty scary. Did you consider the bus. Not the best, but I'll bet its a lot less expensive. Catch some shut-eye on the way. Just a thought?

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4th, 2002, 8:06 am 

The bus? I never thought of it...good idea.Will look into that. I might make it yet.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next