It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2002, 8:26 pm 

I would like to set a date for our winter camping /gathering . We should do this fairly soon so that folks that need to arrange time off can do it and the time can be flagged so we don't schedule anything else for that time .
If we do go ahead with the Budd car I would suggest that we go in on Thursday Feb. 20th and come out on the Sunday Feb.23rd . That will give us 3 nights .
Well what do you think ? I'm anxious to hear other proposals as well . Is 3 nights enough ? Would you like to go in on a Tuesday or Sunday instead ? Is the Budd the way to go or should we drive and hike in ?
Lets get those ideas out there and start planning . I'd like to leave this on the general forums a bit longer to allow for more exposure before we hide it off in the corner . scouter Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2002, 8:54 pm 

The actual date doesn't matter to me. I would like to make use of a weekend to save my vacation. I'm good for 3 nights or more. I like the idea of the Budd car.

There may be 3 of us from the Tiverton area. Anyone have floor space for us before & after the trip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2002, 9:35 pm 

Looks good to me.

I may try to combine it with a larger trip.

Feel like going north of Pog Lake? Somewhere between there and Bisco?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2002, 9:51 pm 

That date is good for me.

jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2002, 10:48 pm 

That weekend is fine with me.

I'd like to go in on the Tuesday and come out on the Sunday...any others able to take 5 days for this trip? Come on Lloyd use up some of your 15 weeks yearly vacation that you shift workers have stashed away somewhere!

The budd car out of Sudbury is my choice for sure...it just adds to the adventure.

Mike S.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mike S. on 2002-10-30 22:49 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2002, 11:25 pm 

That schedule works for me. I'd do the three nights, going up on the train on Thursday and coming back down on Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 12:54 am 

Quote:
On 2002-10-30 22:48, Mike S. wrote:
I'd like to go in on the Tuesday and come out on the Sunday...any others able to take 5 days for this trip? Come on Lloyd use up some of your 15 weeks yearly vacation that you shift workers have stashed away somewhere!

I'm not shift worker but 27 years as a desk jockey has earned me 6 weeks of vacation. So I guess I can spare a few days. Tuesday to Sunday will work, as long as that's ok with my 2 friends. I'll find out at work today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 6:29 am 

Lloyde you are welcome to stay with us before and after the trip . Scouter Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 8:00 am 

The dates work for us. We would go in on Thursday and out on Sunday. 3 nights will probably be perfect. So far, and it a little early yet, but we hope other couples are planning on going as well. My wife definately wants to go. Come on gals.
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 9:19 am 

The certain appeal for taking a train, stopping somewhere, and then getting out to go camping, just makes me want to go even more!

I do have a couple of hopes:

fishing, quinzee making, and maybe a trek into the bush.....

Is 3 days enough?

Georgi

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 10:39 am 

Quote:
On 2002-10-31 09:19, Georgi wrote:
Is 3 days enough?

People have the flexibility to make their trip whatever length they want (in roughly two-day increments) based on the Bud Car schedule.

Assuming everyone goes up on Thursday, people could return:
- The next day (Friday) if they really wanted to or needed to bail out.
- Sunday for a duration of three nights
- Wednesday for a duration of 6 nights

The only thing to remember is there's a certain safety element in numbers. We should know how many will be there each night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 12:43 pm 

1. I know you guys know each other and everything, would I be able to join you guys?

2. I know I have no seniority either, but , assuming #1 is yes, could we change to another date? as I have a commitment for Feb 22 to either one weekend before or after 22?

If the answer to #1 is NO, to spare my feelings, (as I am sensitive), please indicate that YES, I am welcome to come, and NO, the date cannot be changed. LOL

Seriously though, I am keen to learn the ropes about winter camping within the safe confines of more experienced colleagues and, to earn my keep, I can probably guarantee some nice fresh fish if we are near a lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 12:57 pm 

Quote:
On 2002-10-31 12:43, Eagle wrote:
1. I know you guys know each other and everything, would I be able to join you guys?

Nope ... we don't all know each other. At least we haven't all met personally; or paddled or camped together.

Quote:
2. I know I have no seniority either, but , assuming #1 is yes, could we change to another date? as I have a commitment for Feb 22 to either one weekend before or after 22?

I don't really care what weekend it is in February. Everyone else can register their opinions. I will say that sometimes the only way to get a date is by simply setting it and whoever can make it, does. Seems every time a change is made to accommodate two people, it messes up four more ... and so on, and so on.

Quote:
If the answer to #1 is NO, to spare my feelings, (as I am sensitive), please indicate that YES, I am welcome to come, and NO, the date cannot be changed. LOL

Yeah ... I've noticed how sensitive everyone is on these forums. Hard to find a nice group like this that gets along 100% of the time :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 1:02 pm 

I'm real easy to get along with...LOL but seriously as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2002, 3:38 pm 

If a date change is required it could be moved up one week ..... just think of all the advantages .... you could bring your Sweetheart and spend Valentine's Day with her ....cuddled up in -20 degrees ........ a ton of guys......... in the middle of the bush.

If she chose not to come .... well .... that could also have a positive spin for canoeing ..... you would probably have a lot of time in future years to canoe and winter camp by yourself ...... of course you might not be able to afford it.

On the serious side, if the 28th is the date it is fine with me.

As for destination, I would ask you keep in mind the physical effort required to get to the site from the Budd car drop off. Some of the participants could be maturing in age (me).

Never having 'winter camped' except in a hunt camp, I'm not sure what from a physical layout of the land do you look for in a campsite? Could someone enlighten me?.

Thanks

moe

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next