It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2002, 5:20 pm 

I'd like to hear some opinions on tent stoves . What is a good one ? Where can I get them ? How much do they cost . What features should I look for ? Thanks in advance . Scouter Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2002, 12:00 am 

Sorry Joe, do you mean sheet-metal, wood-burning stoves? Wonderful comfortable relics of a bygone age?

My website has how-to directions. http://www.hadfield.ca

If you're looking for something else, good luck in your search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2002, 1:12 am 

Stores that carry "old fashioned" camping supplies and cater to the hunting or dogsledding markets carry stoves for use
in canvas tents. You can search the Internet using combinations of keywords such as "wall tent", "folding stove",
"airtight stove", dogsled supplies etc.

The basic choice is between a folding or non-folding stove. The folding ones are easier to transport and usually lighter,
but they can be a hassle to assemble in the field and are less airtight. The fire will be more difficult to control in
anything using thinner metal, and the stove won't last as long. There are durable portable wood stoves made out of
stainless steel and even titanium.

For many years, we used a folding wood stove in canvas wall tents, and later, in a yurt-style polyethlene/polyester tent,
until the stove became unrepairable. I believe it used some thin bricks in the bottom. We replaced it with an Airtight,
which does not collapse. The airtight was cheap and light but bulky to transport on a sled to and from the base camps
in the mountains. It required one person to tend it almost constantly. With little mass to store heat, it went out quickly
and easily overheated to blowtorch intensity. This could, and did, damage the tents around the flue. It may be a good
idea to cover the bottom of any such stove with a layer of sand or gravel. The top-loading airtight also had the
annoyance of having to remove whatever was on it so that wood could be added, which was frequently.

Another thing to watch out for is the size of the opening and the firebox, which will determine the size you have to cut
your firewood. Since this isn't always obvious, I'll mention that when you assemble the flue, the top of each section
overlaps on the outside of the bottom of the section above it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2002, 6:48 am 

Yes I'm looking for info on stoves for winter camping in a walled tent .

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2002, 8:55 am 

Here's a couple of interesting links for you:
http://www.packsaddleshop.com/CatCWStove.html
http://www.tipikifaru.com/
breakdown stoves, non-breakdown, lightweight and heavy stuff. There's also a stove company called four dog stoves but I've lost their link. Hope this helps.
Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2002, 7:35 pm 
Try Lebaron's website or store. They have a couple of different styles of front and top loading wood burning sheet metal stoves. Also have stove rings for wall tents and telescoping smoke pipes. They have stores in Mississauga, Markham and Ottawa, and do mail orders. I,ve seen others fron outfitters in the US, they are larger/heavier, come with hot water options,and are more expensive.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2002, 7:51 pm 

Hi Joe, am in the process of getting a stove as well. Will be in Le Baron's next week and will pick up a catalouge and check them out and get back to you. Home Hardware in town carries the oval tin can heaters which we used moose hunting for years and work good if you have a stove pipe damper but are a bit bulky. This would be a fall back stove as I'm looking for a square type similiar to what Dave makes and the types in the links above. Le Baron's website doesn't have them posted online.
Sid

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: smokey on 2002-11-07 19:52 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2002, 9:17 pm 

Talk about great minds thinking alike.
I just got in from LeBarons where I checked out their small wood stoves.

Pot stove. has only a top opening and looked difficult to stoke, clean and empty. Disliked it enough I didn't check the price.
(Each to their own.)

A 10x10x24 flat topped stove with three circular openings on the top. One at the back for the chimney and two for cooking. The cooking holes came with covers. They had two versions one for $70.00 where the entire chamber was for firewood and another for $90.00 that had a small separate oven. I forgot to mention the large opening at the front for firewood access.

The telescoping chimney consisted of 5 2foot sections that fit inside each other. cost $37.00

They had an unbelievably expensive tent ring of woven asbestos(?) 2'x2' and 6inch hole
for - hold onto your chairs - $75.00

If I don't have the time to build using Dave H.'s plans, I'll probably buy the simplier flat top. $37.00 +tax for the stove pipe is too much and am thinking about using sections of 3 or 4" hot air ducting instead.

But there just has to be something cheaper than that woven tent ring. Can you come to the rescue Dave and let us know your solution?

Cheers, ted

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tripperted on 2002-11-08 11:36 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TripperTed on 2002-11-08 11:37 ]</font>