It is currently November 12th, 2019, 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 11th, 2009, 9:58 am 

Ok, so I got a hold of ERA today. Earle's contact Cindy told me she doesn't deal with that stuff anymore and passed me on to a lady named Mary who said that the $500 minimum order is now strictly upheld...

Price: $22 / sled. (No estimate of shipping costs was available).
Bags and harness are not available and will not be available until next year.

So it looks like the minimum order number would be 24 sleds (assuming they are still sold in packs of 6, which I neglected to ask), coming to a total of $528 before tax and shipping.

Despite that setback I am still potentially interested in placing an order with them IF there is someone willing to split the order in half with me so I can offload 12 immediately and negate some of the risk. I feel that with the interest here on the internet, and local interest we could both hopefully get rid of our halves fairly quickly.

Any takers?

PostPosted: December 11th, 2009, 10:14 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

DaveM wrote:
Ok, so I got a hold of ERA today. Earle's contact Cindy told me she doesn't deal with that stuff anymore and passed me on to a lady named Mary who said that the $500 minimum order is now strictly upheld...

Price: $22 / sled. (No estimate of shipping costs was available).
Bags and harness are not available and will not be available until next year.

So it looks like the minimum order number would be 24 sleds (assuming they are still sold in packs of 6, which I neglected to ask), coming to a total of $528 before tax and shipping.

Despite that setback I am still potentially interested in placing an order with them IF there is someone willing to split the order in half with me so I can offload 12 immediately and negate some of the risk. I feel that with the interest here on the internet, and local interest we could both hopefully get rid of our halves fairly quickly.

Any takers?

If you do decide to go with this, might I suggest posting a new thread in the Buy & Sell forum, to gain attention to the purchase?

Some folks might interested, but not be following this thread, and may not know a "group purchase" is being arranged, or who to contact.

Barbara

PostPosted: December 11th, 2009, 10:43 am 

I wish we were closer. At those prices I would take at least one, maybe two or more, but since I'm in Saskatoon...

It doesn't sound like ERA is all that interested in dealing with folks like us, yet there doesn't seem to be any retailer we can purchase these through locally (especially out west). Who ARE they selling these sleds to then?

In order to drum up more interest, try posting over in the forums at http://www.wintertrekking.com.

Actually, I was jsut looking at some cost of shipping estimates ant it appears that the cost would not be prohibitive. So, if were willing to package them up and ship them here to Saskatoon, there might be a couple of takers out here (4-6 sleds?). We have an ever-growing group of winter enthusiasts, currently making do with Candian Tire sleds.

Cheers,
Bryan

(edited to correct the url)

Last edited by pawistik on December 11th, 2009, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2009, 11:38 am 

Funny as it may seem, ERA is selling to REI in the states. I originally contacted them with a price and was quoted $28 for the sled and a whopping $80 for shipping.. I know you will not have any difficulty getting rid of them.. As I said, I could have sold 30 of them last year.
And if someone is picking them up in Montreal and driving back I would gladly take another 2 from you if it is possible to drop them off in Cornwall on the way. Let me know. And I will spread the word around here.
Good luck..
Earle

PostPosted: December 11th, 2009, 12:13 pm 

I have contacted ERA asking about Canadian retailers where I can purchase or order one of their sleds.

I also contacted MEC suggesting that they add this sled to their products.

Quote:
Hello,
As an avid winter camper there is a product I would like MEC to consider carrying. It's the Expedition Sled (cat #960, formerly known as the "Paris Expedition Sled") from ERA in St-Laurent, Québec (http://eragroup.ca/).

This sled is a reasonably priced good-quality plastic sled that is durable to withstand heavy back-country use. It is sufficiently narrow to fit well in a snowshoe float trail, has sides that are tall enough to contain a load, and avoids the rounded shape of many kid's sleds. That rounded shape can lead to the sled tipping over more easily leading to no end of frustration. The length of the sled allows a moderate load with a low center of gravity. This sled is also much lighter than many utility-type of sleds that some of us make do with.

These sleds are often retrofitted with poles and a harness. In fact, it appears form the online 2010/2011 catalogue that ERA intends to start selling a harness system to go with the sled. (The harness is reportedly not yet available.)

A good sled to a winter trekker is as important as a good backpack is to the summer hiker. There seems to be a growing contingent of us that choose to not limit our back-country camping activities to the warmer months. Although MEC carries a fair number of products of great benefit for our winter use, there appears to be a few more that we are currently making ourselves or making do with less suitable alternatives. Good camping sleds are one of those items.

Cheers,
Bryan Sarauer

I should have added to my case is that this sled is already in use by many winter campers and is more readily available in the USA so the market is already on it's way to being established.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: December 11th, 2009, 4:36 pm 

Another really good sled to consider is the "Beast":

http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... 5617709824

Only available in the states, but i decided to order a couple last spring and took a drive down to Niagara Falls and picked them up. Very heavy duty, good load capacity. IMO the best sled you can get :wink:

jim

PostPosted: December 11th, 2009, 9:39 pm 

MEC responded to my e-mailed letter already:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Sarauer,

Thank you for your email, and for your product suggestion.

I've forwarded it to our Snowsports buyer. If we receive enough requests for ERA's Expedition Sled from other members, it may be added to our selection in the future. However, given this product's seasonal nature, and that our bulk orders are normally placed 12-18 months in advance, this probably won't happen before next winter, at the earliest.

Thanks again for your suggestion. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Best wishes,

PostPosted: December 13th, 2009, 9:23 pm 

Finally got our first trip out.. Didn't go too far as they were calling for a big dump of snow. took a hike bout 40 minutes north of Elliot Lake to the shore of McElrea Lake. We used our Paris sleds and Snowtrekker tent. it was great to get out before Christmas. The sleds worked superbly again. If anyone has any questions about the pole set up and harnessing let me know. You will be peasantly surprised at just how easy it is to get them set up.
Earle
http://picasaweb.google.com/Earlejonoes/FirstWinterCampingTripOf2009#

PostPosted: December 14th, 2009, 6:29 pm 

Beaver, what are the white "rods" you use on your snowtreker tent?

thanx
jim

PostPosted: December 14th, 2009, 6:49 pm 

I presume you mean the white rods on the Paris sleds..
they are fibreglass poles used for electric fencing.. Got them from a farm supply company in Ontario. They cost about $5 a piece. They keep the sled tracking well behind me and follow me around trees and such without hitting them. Also keeps the load from trying to pass me when I am going downhill.. and when you get to camp you can unscrew them from the sleds and use them as tie-outs for the tent.
Earle

PostPosted: December 14th, 2009, 8:27 pm 

sorry, I should have made my question a little more clear :oops: Not to hijack or change the subject of this discussion, but I meant the rods you use for your tent to pull the walls of the tent., they are stuck in the snow
thanx
jim

PostPosted: December 14th, 2009, 10:17 pm 

Oh Ok...
Those are our snowshoe poles.. we only use them when we haul into the bush and then they serve double duty as pull outs for the Hybrid. You will notice that we position the tent close enough to the bushes to utilize them for one side.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2009, 2:00 am 

JimDiane

Just thought I'ld offer a tip on the Beast sled by Emsco. While it is a good sled.... quite long and very slippery it is made from a injection molded poly and it ends up being a bit more brital in very cold temps that the Paris Expedition. Be sure to reinforce the under side of any attachment points and do NOT attempt to pick up a fully loaded sled from both sides by grabbing the rims.

I had a report that a college group from Wisc had several break this way while loading them onto a truck. Good luck with the adventures this winter.
Pulky Ed

PostPosted: December 16th, 2009, 8:01 am 

thanx Ed, will do :wink:

jim

PostPosted: December 20th, 2009, 8:07 pm 

Pulky Ed wrote:
I had a report that a college group from Wisc had several break this way while loading them onto a truck. Good luck with the adventures this winter.
Pulky Ed

Sounds like that group are slow learners! :o

I'm just wondering what the status of this is. Is it going ahead? Are you looking for "customers". As I said earlier, I could probably take half a dozen if someone were willing to package them up and ship to Saskatoon.

Cheers,
Bryan