It is currently January 21st, 2020, 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Deep Freeze 12
PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 12:14 am 

Pride, Respect and Teamwork Erhard.

A version of a Survivor .( well not a game show)

Play Together, Last Forever, Wit and Merry welcome

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 7:20 pm 

The trip keeps evolving. At first, the first group in was small and the bulk of the people coming came in Tuesday and Thursday and left on Sunday. Now the first group is large and the majority leave Friday. We don't travel as far off the tracks because we prefer to do our travelling after camp is set up. It also makes setting up camp possible earlier in the day instead of close to dark.
Having a larger group coming in first means alot more snow shoe trails are set during the week so travelling is easier.
For me the snowshoe walks are one of the best parts you see things in the winter that you pass by in the summer. In the winter you see a lot of tracks that in the summer all you might see are some aminal trails and spoor. Usually we get some fresh snow during the week so you get to see what has been moving around that day.
The week is something to look forward to for me as time off in the winter is less costly than summer hours. A week is just about right for a winter trip as the travel time to get to camp, doing camp chores and enjoying the area takes time . One or two night wouldn't be worth the drive. You also can't forget that we are close to the watershed and most warm fronts don't get to us, so we haven't had too many days above zero .Also it is a cheap holiday, travel expenses to Sudbury , $40 for the train and whatever you spend on food and drinks :)
But most of all it's still the people that attend :thumbup: , new deepfreezers and veterans , make the trip. Sharing stories , other trips and all pulling together to make camp home.
Bill

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 7:15 am 

Bill maybe you can answer some questions for me. With the tents I am seeing set up they are fairly large and I would suspect heavy. I have only used a Canvas Prospector tent once and it was really heavy. I'm learning more each day about hot tenting by reading. I'm a Cold tenter. So is the weight cut down on the ones at Deep Freeze by cutting the poles there instead of hauling them in? My friend's was a 10x10 but it took two guys to carry it from the truck it was so heavy. I see you guys didn't travel far from the jump off point so hauling wasn't a great distance. I'm looking at all the manufacturs out there and hauling weight means alot to me . I'd still like to see more set ups if anyone has pics to post.

RR

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 7:47 am 

ravinerat wrote:
I'd still like to see more set ups if anyone has pics to post.

RR

Here's mine, a lavvu. Weighs about 12 lbs with the pole. Certainly not as roomy as a rectangular tent but OK for 2 in the winter. Stove goes in the centre and chimney out the top. Setup takes some getting used to as the bottom has to be anchored down. I use buried sticks as snow anchors.

Kinguq

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 12:15 pm 

Here's a video I did of Marc and I on our 7 hour snow shoe trek to Florida Lake, if you're interested? Certainly not the quality of many productions done here on CCR, but it's a POV that might appeal to some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqPkIdc06WY&context=C4b4b738ADvjVQa1PpcFOmPeijTGVv_rZAJaMce2LeoVj34jPU_RU=

I'm gonna try another movie of stills and videos of the camp and it's shenanigans soon.

Andrew

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 2:05 pm 

The video was great. Lots of work but you got to the top. Nice to see you keeping the camera going even when your loosing your fitting.

The Lavvu tent is the same design as the Kifaru I was looking at on line. I'll try to look your tent up. I almost think I need two tents. One to base camp and one for solo travel.

RR

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 3:12 pm 

kinguq tell me more about your tent. I have looked them up and they are afordable. They show multipul poles to hold it up. Does yours only have one? What stove are you using to heat it?

RR

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 3:48 pm 

ravinerat wrote:
kinguq tell me more about your tent. I have looked them up and they are afordable. They show multipul poles to hold it up. Does yours only have one? What stove are you using to heat it?
RR

Hi there,

Mine has a single aluminum centre pole. This type of tent is popular in Scaninavia. I bought mine in Norway. They are not for everyone but have their advantages. It is really hard to beat the SnowTrekker type tents, which I do lust after...

I made the stove out of a canning pot, you can see it here.

http://www.wintertrekking.com/community ... pic=1380.0

Kinguq.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 4:29 pm 

I remember reading about your sstove the other day. Do you have any more pis of your tent or a look inside? I love the Snowtrekker line but it is just swinging the money for one and a stove and shipping and.......

RR

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 5:39 pm 

Its a tent..Its a sauna..its not made of heavy canvas...only need to add rocks!
( and good luck finding rocks in winter!) http://www.tent-sauna.com/tag/camping

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 5:43 pm 

My tent started out as an all nylon 10 x 12 prospector tent (finished size more like 9.7' x 11.7'). I then cut out the left front corner and replaced it with canvas drop cloth. A few years later it was split down a seam in the middle and an extra 30 inch wide "skylight" was sewn in. The tent is now about 10 x 14 and weighs about 23 lbs. Poles are cut on site and left standing for use the following year. Accommodates 4 - 5 comfortably with about 7.5' deep sleeping bench and 6.5' deep kitchen/living area.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8Ew3 ... Lounge.jpg - exterior shot

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/A ... directlink - stove area interior

http://picasaweb.google.com/Canoedog.ca ... 3554045234 - interior wildlife shot showing the "skylight"

http://picasaweb.google.com/Canoedog.ca ... 9248291026 - exterior shot with "billy box" storage

Lots of "Deep Freeze" photos at - http://www.canoedog.ca/p/winter-trips.html

Presently have materials to sew a "smokey trekker" using a Eureka frame and nylon and canvas for the tent. Expect it to be about 8.5' x 10.5' and come in around 15 lbs or so. Similar to this - http://myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.p ... nt+convert

So far I have invested about $200 for the materials (frame $125 and uncoated ripstop nylon $75)

"There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going"-unknown

Last edited by smokey on July 25th, 2013, 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 6:41 pm 

gunnelbob wrote:
Its a tent..Its a sauna..its not made of heavy canvas...only need to add rocks!
( and good luck finding rocks in winter!) http://www.tent-sauna.com/tag/camping

A Sauna would be just the ticket for DeepFreeze! We could probably get rocks near the RR tracks. Hmmm (thinking...)

Kinguq.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 6:45 pm 

ravinerat wrote:
I remember reading about your sstove the other day. Do you have any more pis of your tent or a look inside? I love the Snowtrekker line but it is just swinging the money for one and a stove and shipping and.......
RR

No, not really. Not much of a photographer.

One thing, if you are getting or making a tent, I strongly advise a white or at least a light coloured one. Dark coloured tents like this are dark inside. You need lighting earlier in the evening, and they don't light up well. I wish my tent was white...

Kinguq.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2012, 7:51 am 

A sauna would be a welcome addition to any winter camp I'm sure. Built them on some canoe trips before.

Smokey that looks like quite the comfortable. set up. I always wondered why a hot tent can't be made of Nylon since there is a stove jack. Is it the fire retardent factor? I'm sure I saw one on a Cabellas site a long time ago. I had been through every deep freeze pic you had a mth ago. I even showed my wife and asked her if she wanted to go do a deep freeze. She went to Cuba. I can figure out my own answer on that one. It is so neat to see all the different ways people do their outdoor living in the winter. I went from Quinzee's to Tarps to Tents to looking for comfort.

RR

PostPosted: March 13th, 2012, 12:05 pm 

RR , no reason I can think of other than liability issues and standards against the manufacturers but proper fabrics with retardents and spacing can alleviate these concerns in my opinion :wink: . I know of several hybrid nylon/canvas wall tents and all of them incoroporate a canvas section for the stove area. Micmac bought a wall tent that is from a Canadian company and it is a hybrid - he had a thread about it however the photos aren't available but the text is-
http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... lit=eureka

The company is open to working with you if you want a hybrid and there are a few photos on their website of one of their hybrids - http://www.capitalcanvas.ca/index.asp

Deep freeze is a good place to see all sorts of setups - come on up next year, all are welcome 8)
Cheers

"There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going"-unknown

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next