All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Smiling Rangers
PostPosted: February 8th, 2012, 9:48 am 

http://www.siouxbulletin.com/sitebuilde ... 8_2012.pdf

see page 8

Post subject: Re: Smiling Rangers
PostPosted: February 8th, 2012, 10:06 am 

Amazing trip! :clap:
And they had to build a bridge besides all of the other challenges.
Ralph

PostPosted: February 8th, 2012, 9:11 pm 

Great story! Epic trip. I would love to see their route on a map. Were they using winter roads? I can't imagine bushwhacking machines through blowdown and thick forest. Were they hauling all their fuel, getting re-supply, or did they have pre-set fuel caches? Were they using hot tent style, or sleeping out tradtional style with huge bough beds and huge fire of entire trees stacked up for all night burns.....etc?

I really would like to know their route for a possible winter trek route that I might consider next winter! :D

PostPosted: February 9th, 2012, 6:42 am 

Hello Hoop,

I'm trying to contact them about getting one of the participants to file a TR.
http://www.mndm.gov.on.ca/northern_deve ... oads_e.asp

PostPosted: February 9th, 2012, 3:06 pm 

That's our boys from 3CRPG. Good job! Manitoba west to the coast is 4CRPG, they did a trip a few years ago from Kitimat BC to Churchill MB, Exercise Western Spirit. A little more than 3400km by LOSV (light over snow vehicle, aka snowmobile). A few of my friends were on it. http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/4crpg/archives/ews/ews_en.asp

In about a week, we are snowmobiling from Gillam here, north to Churchill, meeting up with the Churchill patrol and heading back down the coast of Hudson Bay to Port Nelson, and back to Gillam on the north side of the Nelson River. We did a route recce a couple of weeks ago to try to find a way across the mouth of the Nelson and a useable trail back on the south side of the river starting at York Factory, but the mouth of the Nelson is still open with horrible ice pack, and there is no real trail for about 40-50 km away from York.

Seriously, if any of you guys are in a community with Rangers, I highly encourage you to check them out. Getting paid to go on wild canoe trips, and winter camping expeditions, and being a member of a truly domestic (never to be deployed overseas, never to engage a hostile enemy) force is quite rewarding. Primarily, we assist with military travel and expeditions through our areas of responsibility, teach wilderness and coldweather survival and travel to regular force and reserve members, and specialize in ground search and rescue. We also assist with community evacuations in the event of forest fire/natural disaster. We are the military's eyes and ears on the ground, and their first line of support in our communities and areas.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2012, 8:14 pm 

That is one heck of a trip and I would love to do it on snowmobile. Let me be the first to thank you for being a Ranger. There is a lot of stuff on youtube and I love watching it. The trip to Churchill is on there. I'd love to read the trip report. The Rangers provide the support to Cain's Quest snowmobile race in Labrador. Truley an outstanding group of people. Not living far from Base Borden I have met a few while trainning here.

RR

PostPosted: February 29th, 2012, 10:02 am 

Thanks! We also provide support for the Hudson Bay Quest, a dogsled race to Hudson Bay ending at Churchill. It's a qualifier for the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest. I posted a photo album in the "other photography topics", and included write-ups and descriptions there.