It is currently August 6th, 2020, 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 21st, 2012, 7:58 pm 

On my last visit to the park I accessed the ganaraska trail via Devils Lake. On the way home I stopped to check the parking area for the Moore Falls access and found that the Black Lake road was marked as private and no room to park at the entrance. Is there a public launch on the lake, also wondering if the trail goes to the east or west side of Black Lake? I would like to try to get into Digby (Scrabble) Lake by skis or snowshoe depending on conditions.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2012, 8:35 pm 

No public launch on Black lake, There is parking if you join the Ganaraska trail group, they have an agreement with the land owner.
You might try the store owner up around the corner, probably won't be free.
Also you may want to scope out the few public right -a-ways that can take you from black lake into the park around scrabble.
Google earth with the park boundaries will show you the ways in.
The road entrance where Black creek enters Moore lake is private.
Doesn't hurt to approach the owner though.
The access point in the middle of the lake (west side) is not too friendly
The area at the north end of the lake is a lot less steep and you you be able to get up to the hydro wires and then you should be able to cross to the first set of ponds.
The Creek (small gorge) is private but the bush is typically dense.
If you use bing maps they have a very good shot that you can zoom in on to give you an idea where to break through the trees. It looks like a very late fall shot so there is no growth, trouble is the hi res pic does not go over to the lakes you are trying to access.
Doesn't help you too much, it will take some ground work to make some contacts.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: February 21st, 2012, 9:13 pm 

Thanks for the info Jeff, frustrating that access to is so restrictive. I suppose it makes it that much more rewarding to reach those seldom travelled areas. I will do some more research and let you know how I make out.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2012, 6:14 am 

The Ganaraska trail club is about $20 for a year. Pretty cheap parking.

RR

PostPosted: February 28th, 2012, 1:21 pm 

ravinerat wrote:
The Ganaraska trail club is about $20 for a year. Pretty cheap parking.

RR

Only room for one or two cars (depending on who you talk to, even though four could squeeze in there), and parking is based on club seniority up to 24hrs before your trip. So even though you "booked" the parking spot two weeks before you could find yourself bumped the day before your trip. They didn't sound keen on canoeists joining their club just to park by Black Lk.

Heh, the logistics of a two week Chapleau trip with shuttles & train drop off are almost less complicated than a QEII weekender! :roll:

PostPosted: February 28th, 2012, 4:11 pm 

Wow I had no idea you could get bumped out of a parking spot if a club member. That sure doesn't make it to print on their site. Seems to be lots of parking at the Cooper Falls end if the road is pasable.

RR