It is currently August 6th, 2020, 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hot Tent Options?
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 6:21 pm 

have been looking for quite some time now, for a decent hot tent set up. I know the Snowtrekker tents are apparently the cream of the crop, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost, seeing as I have never really been back-country winter camping. A few years back I found someone who was throwing out an old canvas Prospector tent so I went and grabbed it in hopes of being able to convert it into a nice hot tent...but it was in very rough shape and I just ended up tossing it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent, relatively inexpensive hot tent set-up?

Any suggestions would be great!

My Website: http://www.elmsphotography.ca
My Blog: http://www.elmsphotography.blogspot.com

Post subject: Re: Hot Tent Options?
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 9:01 pm 

Winter Trekking.com, news events see Algonquin Group Camping feb18/20. good video and pics there. good luck

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 9:58 pm 

Steve are you base camping or going to trek in?
Solo or two?
Two would be better if your trekking to spread out the gear.

The one thing I do know is you like me will be taking your camera stuff with you...
8)
Which means if you are trekking you will need to cut weight.
I have a converted woods tent 8 x 12 but it is not light or small to pack.
I use rope to hang it and it works well to hang solo.
So again depending on how fast you want to be able to set up tent choice will be critical.
As mentioned there are a lot of options to look at, at winter trekking.com
Another sure thing is once you start hot tenting you will not go back to cold tenting.
(your camera batteries will still freeze though :( )
So look at where you want to go and do with your winter tripping and work back from there.
That will decide if you can avoid the more expensive tents.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 10:34 am 

I bought my wall tent about 7-8 years ago, but soon found out how heavy they can be and didn't use it much. This year I decided to cut it down along with the stove and it worked out well.
If you can find a decent wall tent, and are willing to learn to sew a little, you can really save alot of money. I did, I just couldn't swing the price of a Snowtrekker too.
I cut my 8x10by about 6'6" high wall tent down to about 8x6 and dropped the height to about 5'6" (working from memory here, but it's pretty well detailed over at winterTrekking.com under downsized tent/stove/toboggan)and lots of pictures of my tent/stove/toboggan before and after here.
Here's the tent with me next to it, I'm 6'1" so you can get an idea of how much smaller it is now...Image

I used a cheap Brother xl-2600 sewing machine, it worked fine. My sewing job was nothing great, never did it before and my wife got me started and I went from there. Not all that hard if you don't mind a little flaw here and there.
Cut my stove down and dropped the weight from over 30lbs to just around 17lbs.
Stoves are easy to make with sheet metal, a cutter grinder and a pop rivet gun. They don't need to be big either.
I bought an old kids wood toboggan and removed to runners, sanded and pine tared it, works great, cost me about $30 total.
I used closet poles and only 6 pieces from my 9 piece angle kit for a frame. I have a 'conduit metal pipe" frame, but it's way too heavy to set up other than car camping. I wasn't sure if the closet pole would be strong enough, but it is (I use a 12' closet pole to pole my wood canvas canoe so they are pretty strong), it's very light weight and sets up in minutes. The tent then drops over the top, I have the stove going in 30 mins from finding a site to setting up and cutting some wood. I can reinforce the frame with poles found in the bush if needed. pickets for the side and ridge support, but where I go, cutting live trees is not allowed, so the frame is a big help.
Tent over frame (stove pipe tilts up for the burn)

BTW, having a frame set up while cutting really helped, even a temporary 2x3 frame would be worth the effort to see what the cuts will look like and how the sewing is going.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 11:57 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

There's a lot of information to be discovered here on CCR, and one of the interesting threads from long ago was Richard's about making his own hybrid nylon/canvas tent:

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... =36&t=4204

PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 1:02 pm 

Thanks for the info guys! I'm really not sure what kind of use it would get. I do all car winter camping at the moment but would like the ability to lug the rig into the interior if I chose to in the future. I totally see what you mean about the weight adding up with the stove etc. I tend to do a lot of solo stuff as well so the weight and ease of set-up becomes equally important.

Robin that's a great job you did on that!

My Website: http://www.elmsphotography.ca
My Blog: http://www.elmsphotography.blogspot.com

PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 5:52 pm 

Thank You, I hope you find an outfit that works for you, lots of great info out there (and here) to guide you in a do it yourself lightweight outfit.