It is currently November 21st, 2019, 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 29th, 2013, 11:52 pm 

Straw. Believe it or not. I've seen camps where bales of straw were hauled in. It's heavy (thus suited to a base camp but not if you're traveling every day), but it's good insulation, comfortable, you don't have to strip twigs off nearby evergreens, and it's biodegradeable so you can walk away from it when you leave the camp.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 9:41 pm 

lost_patrol wrote:
Straw. Believe it or not. I've seen camps where bales of straw were hauled in. It's heavy (thus suited to a base camp but not if you're traveling every day), but it's good insulation, comfortable, you don't have to strip twigs off nearby evergreens, and it's biodegradeable so you can walk away from it when you leave the camp.

Except it probably contains lost of seeds from nasty alien weed species!

I was amazed to see how many native species in Canada had been displaced by invaders from overseas. Though with more thought it makes a lot of sense!

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 10:02 pm 

Straw was used as bedding at the Owen Sound Scout Winter Camp for years. It was stopped because sleeping pads are better and easier to clean up. We never used Hay. Hay can have all the bad seeds and plants we do not want to spread. Straw and Hay are two very different things. Straw is the stocks of grain plants. As I live in Rural Ontario I see straw being baled for the horse bedding market. Most of the grain crops have so much herbicide used that NO weeds survive. If you are concerned about straw use Wood Chip bedding for horses that is available at most feed mills.
As Lost Patrol said really only good for base camping but kind of nice to use.
Stay Safe
OAF

PostPosted: January 30th, 2013, 11:19 pm 

Straw is hard to justify any more, not when its so easy to get sleeping pads that offer more insulation for so much less weight or space on the sled!
Personally, I found it got too damp after a night and then there was always someone who had allergies...
sleep warm!
FD