It is currently November 21st, 2019, 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: November 14th, 2012, 5:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: March 9th, 2004, 2:12 pm
Posts: 858
Location: Waterdown
Can anyone suggest any decent spots near Algonquin (preferably the west side) that is Crown Land that would make a suitable winter camping spot? I understand if you don't want to share your secret spots, but I'm just curious to hear if anyone knows of any decent areas.

Thanks!

_________________
-------------------------------------------------------

My Website: http://www.elmsphotography.ca
My Blog: http://www.elmsphotography.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 8:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: July 2nd, 2010, 8:47 pm
Posts: 172
Location: Montreal, QC
This link may help:

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 22&t=39750


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 10:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: March 26th, 2004, 6:19 am
Posts: 83
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
I know some spots west of the park, including one very close where the Crown land abuts the park itself. I'll send you a private message with info.
-Martin

_________________
No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."
http://www.youtube.com/user/PineMartyn


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 11:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 29th, 2002, 7:00 pm
Posts: 6141
Location: Bancroft, Ontario Canada
Georgian bay has large areas of crown land... access during the winter may be a problem with closed roads and thin ice early on.

Years ago I talked to somebody who hauled a toboggan on skis the entire Georgian bay shoreline, from Go Home Bay to Killarney, camping on crown land every night... IIRC, there was an MNR map that showed crown and private lands.

The downside may be snowmobile noise at night... the upside being that if snowmobiles have made tracks over water it's almost a sure thing that you can ski safely on the track and the going should be easier on packed snow.

Snug Harbor north of Parry Dound IIRC has a resort open during the winter and they may be able to tell you whether you can get to and camp on Franklin Island, crown land on the bay, only about one km ice crossing.

Conservation reserves and non-operating parks near APP should also also make winter camping possible, eg. Torrance Barrens, Queen Elizabeth PP... maps would be helpful here.

_________________
><((((º>


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 5:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 29th, 2002, 7:00 pm
Posts: 6141
Location: Bancroft, Ontario Canada
Crown land use atlas, private lands are shown in gray.

http://www.lio.ontario.ca/imf-ows/imf.jsp?site=clupa_en

There are errors in it, maybe on smaller scales... I've been on lakes in my area with cottaged shorelines, yet the atlas shows no gray private land.

_________________
><((((º>


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2012, 7:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: October 14th, 2011, 11:21 am
Posts: 59
Check out Pinemartian's tutorial on Crown land use. It is quite helpfull. The Kearney area has lots but the whole parking in the winter is the issue.

YOu can camp on Franklin in thte winter but last year the ice wasn't in.

RR


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2012, 3:04 pm 
Offline
CCR Assistant Administrator
User avatar

Joined: January 20th, 2003, 7:00 pm
Posts: 12090
Location: Simcoe County, Ontario
frozentripper wrote:
Georgian bay has large areas of crown land... access during the winter may be a problem with closed roads and thin ice early on.

Years ago I talked to somebody who hauled a toboggan on skis the entire Georgian bay shoreline, from Go Home Bay to Killarney, camping on crown land every night... IIRC, there was an MNR map that showed crown and private lands.

The downside may be snowmobile noise at night... the upside being that if snowmobiles have made tracks over water it's almost a sure thing that you can ski safely on the track and the going should be easier on packed snow.

Snug Harbor north of Parry Dound IIRC has a resort open during the winter and they may be able to tell you whether you can get to and camp on Franklin Island, crown land on the bay, only about one km ice crossing.

Conservation reserves and non-operating parks near APP should also also make winter camping possible, eg. Torrance Barrens, Queen Elizabeth PP... maps would be helpful here.


Not sure about QE II PP, but the Torrance Barrens has a snowmobile trail running through it. (And an active rail line on the other side of the road.)

And, as ravinerat said, parking is an issue there.

_________________
I'm out of bed and I made it to the keyboard....what more do you want?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2012, 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: October 14th, 2011, 11:21 am
Posts: 59
QE II is a great place to explore in the winter. Access is getting hard due to private property surounding the park. There are several ways in but back to the parking issue. I'll be spending a week at a time in there this winter. Copper Falls is still a good way to access but there is starting to become an issue as one of the property owners has Colonial Road rights.

What about the McCrae lake area as well. Back to the Kearney Area there is a ton of logging roads leading to all sorts of spots.


RR


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: November 29th, 2012, 4:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: March 9th, 2004, 2:12 pm
Posts: 858
Location: Waterdown
Thanks for the info everyone, lots of places to consider...that'll give me something to do at work!

_________________
-------------------------------------------------------

My Website: http://www.elmsphotography.ca
My Blog: http://www.elmsphotography.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2012, 9:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: August 10th, 2006, 12:32 pm
Posts: 163
Location: Peterborough
Ravinerat (or someone else)....Just curious, what are Colonial Road Rights?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 4th, 2012, 11:28 am 
Offline

Joined: October 5th, 2008, 9:32 am
Posts: 163
I've used a snowmblie trail just east of the Big East Lake access on 118. Actually met the guy who plows the parking area as we were hauling out. Nice guy, had a good chat until I started to chill out and he had no issues with us using the trail.

A couple hours in there was an old discontinued trail we headed down just to seperate us from our motorized breatheren.....ahem.

Cheers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 5th, 2012, 9:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: October 14th, 2011, 11:21 am
Posts: 59
Colonial Road Rights, although I can't find a good deff for it I think it was an old road or trail from Colonial days and now not in use. They still (property owners) have rights over it.

I haven't been down to the Big East lake trail. I have headed the other way on Black River Road. Preetyy busy with snowmobiles. The whole area has lots to offer.


RR


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 24th, 2012, 10:09 am 
Offline

Joined: December 24th, 2012, 9:50 am
Posts: 4
Not quite to Algonquin, but if you go to the online crown land map (or google poker lakes region) there's a good chunk of crown land north of 118 and west of 35, just this side of the park (i.e. it's closer than the park).

That area has some paid campsites (not campgrounds, but actual remote campsites) that you need to call ahead and book and some of them are gorgeous. But outside of the main areas it's regular crown and you can just pick a spot and park.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 30th, 2012, 12:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: August 19th, 2007, 5:40 pm
Posts: 545
Location: Timmins
Barbara wrote:
Not sure about QE II PP, but the Torrance Barrens has a snowmobile trail running through it. (And an active rail line on the other side of the road.)

And, as ravinerat said, parking is an issue there.



Yup, there is a network of snowmobile/ATV trails in the park. In the winter it makes for an easy way to get further into the park fast though. Sheldon lake seems to attract alot of snow-machines. There's a few cabins on that lake and numerous ice fishermen come in. As you head towards Wolf/Victoria you encounter fewer snowmobiles but a main trail runs across those lakes. Great area for winter camping though.

_________________

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: December 30th, 2012, 5:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: June 20th, 2001, 7:00 pm
Posts: 422
Location: Kitchener, Ontario Canada
ravinerat wrote:
Colonial Road Rights, although I can't find a good deff for it I think it was an old road or trail from Colonial days and now not in use. They still (property owners) have rights over it.




RR

Does this mean non property owners also have access ? (eg access to crown land parcels)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group