It is currently November 20th, 2019, 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 7th, 2013, 7:06 pm 

One day, you'll see them out on the trail:

Here's what:
(from http://www.imba.com/resources/land-protection/fat-bikes )
Quote:
Fat Bike Best Practices

Regarding equipment, what is the bare minimum I need to ride on snow?

Tires wider than 3.7 inches
Tire pressure less than 10 PSI
You will not leave a rut deeper than one inch in the snow
You are able to safely control your bike and ride in a straight line
You have permission to ride from the land manager
DO NOT RIDE, especially on groomed nordic and snowmobile trails, if you can't meet all of the requirements above.

I have tried one of those bikes a month ago on thick grass and was surprised how well it handled. As for winter, it's obvious that they are useless in deep snow. But I bet some folks will try them on the snow mobile trails. And in late winter, these things can handle the crusty snow of cold mornings.

Here's the advice given for such conditions:
Quote:
Best Practices for Riding on Snowmobile Trails

When riding on snowmobile trails, use a front white blinker and rear red blinker at all times. Wear reflective material on both the front and rear of your body.
Stay to the far right of the trail and yield to snowmobiles.
Know and obey the rules of your local land manager. Understand that some trails may be on private property and might not be open to alternative uses.
Be prepared. Winter travel in the backcountry requires carrying proper gear and dressing properly. Be self-sufficient!
Use extreme caution when riding at night. Be visible and always use lights.
Be friendly! Fat bikers are the newest users and the snowmobilers you encounter might not be welcoming. Be courteous and open to suggestions.
Help out by supporting your local snowmobile club.
Donate to trail grooming and maintenance efforts.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2013, 10:33 am 

I dunno if fat bikes would be allowed on snowmobile trails here... XC skiing isn't. I used to ski some of the more remote snowmobile trails until signs went up prohibiting it.

I haven't been back to check exactly what the signs say about bikes in winter. There is a $200 permit fee IIRC for anybody wanting to snowmobile on the trail network... the money goes towards trail maintenance, permit checks, etc..

PostPosted: January 8th, 2013, 10:51 am 

Quote:
I dunno if fat bikes would be allowed on snowmobile trails here...

Good point - and I doubt cyclists would be willing to spend money on trail permits. They'd rather stay on the unofficial trails, seeking adventure and freedom just like young folks do...

PostPosted: January 8th, 2013, 6:01 pm 

My buddy says he's seen these on lakes up near Bracebridge area....just last Winter

It is definitely something I was thinking about giving a go, but then again , when the Olympics was around the bike team that followed the Torch were just using
more standard off-road bikes just fine...

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

PostPosted: January 8th, 2013, 8:18 pm 

I've seen several of them out and about in Winnipeg, and they made the local news a couple of times. To me, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, as they start well north of $2,000, and they do seem pretty specialized. I suppose to the dedicated cyclist it makes sense, just like I can justify all the canoes! I'd be curious how they compare to skiing for efficiency.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2013, 8:46 pm 

I think their main use is on sand and gravel terrain - places where the even mountain bike tires get stuck. The use in winter is an afterthought, but I am curious whether they will have a presence at all in the places where we go. On firm snow, ice and snow mobile trails, I think they would do OK. That could open canoe country for them. ATVs have done it already.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2013, 11:04 pm 

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/mukluk_3
Algonquin Outfitters in Huntsville is a dealer.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2013, 9:49 am 

HERE is an article written locally on fat bikes. I have seen a bunch of these bikes around lately, more this winter than ever before. I think it is a fad catching on, and I know I would love to try it. I miss trail riding in the winter, as all I have done in the last 2 months has been a bit of pathway riding. I know this would never replace mountain biking, but it would be a great way to extend the biking season for us Canuckleheads.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: January 9th, 2013, 3:53 pm 

We have them here in W. Michigan too. We even have a Fat bike race series in Michigan. Even with the wide tires they won't have the same floatation of nordic skis, so once you get more than a couple inches of snow the skis are going to be alot faster. Then again give last winter and the beginning of this winter maybe you'll get more use from a bike than skis. We're over 2 feet behind on snow for this season, and it's gonna be near 50 over the next couple days.

PK

PostPosted: January 9th, 2013, 10:54 pm 

Love to try it , but i'm skeptic too....

See them spokes, that's where snow will hang out , Chain? that's what's gonna freeze.....around here i haven't seen them, but some bike places will order one which takes me back to love to try it, don't want to commit a healthy sum to something that may not be [ what you thought you paid for], around too long.....

Think about servicing one of those puppies in the back country?! and where would you likely find tubes, tires, and parts for upkeep......you'd have to buy that as well, since the winter garage is going to be where you are......

I think i'll just ride the roads

and look for opportunity to rent one for a day ride. ITs the only way you'd know if its right for what you want out of it....

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 7:15 am 

I watched a tv piece on CTV 2 regarding fat bike rentals at I think Hardwood Hills? Looked intriging.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 7:42 am 

Other than dealing with the repairs in colder weather, it would be no different than regular mountain bikes in the warmer months. We always carry a repair kit. At least enough to repair a couple flats each, chain repair, and a bike multi-tool for making adjustments.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 3:42 pm 

I am sure there are more differences. Fewer flats, for instance... :wink:
Seriously, I find cycling in colder temperatures possible but: you need extra skills, some stuff doesn't work so well like the shifting of gears, and you need be equipped for eventualities, like a sleeping bag in case you can't make it back.

But here's someone who fat-bikes in Alaska:
From http://www.facebook.com/pages/Iditarod- ... 4759708637

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 8:17 pm 

Looks like that fella gets lots of use out of his. This would be my concern with buying one, that I would not use it enough. Heck, my skis get little enough use, though I did go for a spin on them in the new snow today.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2013, 8:30 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

dks wrote:
I watched a tv piece on CTV 2 regarding fat bike rentals at I think Hardwood Hills? Looked intriging.

January 9th broadcast:

http://www.ctvbarrie.ca/category/news/

Hardwood Hills:

http://www.hardwoodskiandbike.ca/