It is currently November 20th, 2019, 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 11th, 2013, 9:01 am 

http://www.fairbankscycleclub.org/Winte ... port.shtml

Or where the Snow is really.........

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

PostPosted: January 14th, 2013, 1:26 pm 

These fat bikes are quiver bikes... the demographic is older and wealthier than you might guess. I too wondered about the overlap with snowmobiles, but a guy from that Bracebridge contingent described a scenario in which most of the local snowmobile trails are not in fact TOP or OFSC trails, so they are open to anyone. He also said you can ride right on top of the crust in spring conditions, so you don't need any trail at all then. I don't think they actually have much application except for snow... there just isn't that much sand/gravel out there except for at the beach. As a skier I thought these bikes represented the next chapter (after snowshoeing) in the decline of classic trails/technique, but as a cyclist I have to say they are much more interesting than the previous latest/greatest in mountain biking (29" wheels). The best thing about winter riding is there isn't any argument about ecosystem destruction that cyclists are usually hit with.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2013, 2:02 pm 

jbishop2112 wrote:
......but as a cyclist I have to say they are much more interesting than the previous latest/greatest in mountain biking (29" wheels)..

I am the opposite. I still haven't determined the exact bike, but a new full suspension 29er is in the works over the next couple months (possibly a 27.5"), and a fat bike would be well after a new (to me) road bike (so, not likely to happen at all). After a few spins on a 29er last year, I am sold. I do tend to be a trail rider, and not a go hard technical racer, where I don't think the larger wheels are as well suited.

This bike is a belated 25th anniversary present to me, after my wife buying herself an expensive ring for the same reason. :)

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: January 14th, 2013, 8:25 pm 

jbishop2112 wrote:
... there just isn't that much sand/gravel out there except for at the beach.

I suppose north of the tree line one could have some adventures. Maybe pedaling to Churchill Manitoba along eskers, or pedaling along the Thelon. Possibly even making something like a fat-bike single wheel trailer that could carry the equipment and a small raft for water crossings. Personally, while I enjoy biking, that seems like it might be a bit bumpy for my tastes.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 1:38 pm 

Here's from northern Michigan. OK, it's been a freaky winter so far, but with ice like this, who is complaining...?!

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2013, 9:00 pm 

Wow :thumbup: and also can't see any fish!

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

PostPosted: January 24th, 2013, 10:19 pm 

I ride with a group regularly - I am still on regular studded tires because the price point is too high for me and I do a lot of road commuting. Definitely they can ride more trails and reasonably well used snowmobile trails than I can. There is a 135km cross country race here in February that I was in last year - most riders were on fat bikes but there were 3 or 4 regular bikes. Repairs are more interesting below -10 (even more below -30) but possible - being prepared is the key (as mentioned). Deep snow is out for everyone, hard pack is great on fat bikes, hard pack and gravel 29er or mtn bikes shine. Fat bikes do well on ice as well - somewhat tire dependent. People I ride with run everywhere from 5psi to 15psi depending on conditions.

The number of fat bikes here has gone through the roof over the last couple of years. Two years ago a couple a round, last year I saw 5 or 6 regularly, this year I see a fair number and more tire tracks.

I have ski and snow-shoe racks for my bike - the bike allows me to get to the tail head and then ski from there.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2013, 10:15 pm 

My buddy has been renting one at Hardwood. He loves it and now has all his extra gear up for sale to afford one. Maybe he can pull my toboggan for me?

RR

PostPosted: February 4th, 2013, 10:35 am 

I bought a new bike a couple weeks back, a 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 29 (got a smokin' deal new), and have been giving it a spin on the trails and paths in Nose Hill park by my house. Yesterday saw 5°C temps, and the hard packed snow got soft and crushed under the tires in a few places. It sure had me thinking about the merits of those fat tires, I tell you. :)

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: February 9th, 2013, 8:09 pm 

There here........

Just seen one on the trails at the Thames river

PostPosted: February 10th, 2013, 4:21 pm 

They mustn't be fast. I overtook two (separately) one day last week on my commute home from work. Better for the somewhat packed snow and off-road use, but my beater mountain bike commuter with studded tires is better for 95% of my commute. There were some drifts on the trails to work last week where I thought the fat tires might come in handy, but mostly I'm happy not to have so much rotating weight and happy not to spend the money that those things cost. I, too, am bike shopping (sort of - hopefully for spring) but the new bike will be a fast commuter to fill the niche between my 14 year old cyclocross bike and my 18+ year old beater mountain bike.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2013, 12:44 pm 

As to riding on snowmobile trails, it will depend on the land owner and not the snowmobile club. I cross country ski on OFSC trails on County Forest where the only agreement between landowner and snowmobile club is that they have permission to groom and must provide insurance. Snowmobile trails users must have permits. Any other year round use except dirt bikes, quads, etc. is allowed. Dog walking, skiing, horseback riding, hunting. Each separate land owner may have different rules. One county may not have the same rules as the one I ski in.

Even if you are allowed watch out for those crazy snowmobilers. Even some bonafide club members ride fast, ride drunk, ride in ignorance of the right of others to be on the trails.

You should be aware, in Ontario it is legal to shoot across a trail. Not a road designed for use by motorized vehicles like cars, but a trail, even the TCT, yes. Hunters with permission to hunt on both sides can shoot across it. Don't wear a white helmet in deer season.

On such multi-use public property where someone has laboured to ski in a cross country ski track it would really be appreciated if the fat bikes (and snowshoers) would refrain from wrecking the track where possible.