It is currently December 14th, 2019, 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2013, 10:10 pm 

Hi I was looking to go winter camping. I was hoping to go for two days and need some location options? Anyone know of any other than McRae lake? Thanks

Last edited by barrie1 on January 16th, 2013, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2013, 10:01 am 

Cyprus Lake PP on the Bruce Peninsula offers winter camping... I don't think there will be any snowmobiles there to create noise. Algonquin is in southern Ontario.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2013, 4:50 pm 

First do you have a Biolite? I do and love it. Well there are loads of places to winter camp. The biggest issue is parking. That's why so many of us go to Algonquin park in the winter. One thing I do is use the Crown Land Atlas. I know it is not totally accurate but it gives you a good guideline. Pynmartin on YouTube gives a good instructional video. I use the lakes alot to get to some good spots. You can check out some more remote type lakes and see if they have a marina where you can park. It cost me $10 a day to usually park at some marinas. My vehicle is secure and the lot ploughed. The back roads map book also gives you a great resourse for finding locations. One other problem is the snowmobile trial system in Ontario. ( I have a snowmobile) The trail nextwork is extensive. I go to the OFSC and use there interactive maps. I align them with the area I am going to see it there is a main trail or side trails. Personally I don't care about the snowmobiles as they die off at dark. I try not to travel any distance on the snowmobile trail as it is truley dangerous. They don't expect you on the tail and drive too fast. Again I use a snowmobile as transportation and don't want this to turn into a snowmobile bashing thread. I just think you need to be careful when traveling these trails. I like to camp near the Gravenhurst area. Don't have to travel too far either. If you need more info you can PM me.

RR

PostPosted: January 8th, 2013, 5:16 pm 

Thanks for the great advice. It looks like I am going to MacGregor PP. They are letting me hike into the closed section of the park for 2 nights, not exactly what I had planned but my camp buddy can only get a weekend to go! Better than nothing.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2013, 10:16 pm 

Just out of curiosity, how did you get approval for that? Who did you speak to?

Thanks and have fun!

My Website: http://www.elmsphotography.ca
My Blog: http://www.elmsphotography.blogspot.com

PostPosted: January 9th, 2013, 7:31 am 

Hey Steve you can sometimes get unofficial approval to go into some of the parks in the winter for camping. They aren't open and MNR don't want to have to start going into to patrol the park in the winter. They don't want numerous people in the park but the odd person is acceptable. As I said this is unofficial. Usually you need to talk to the Superintendent of the park.

RR

PostPosted: January 9th, 2013, 8:29 am 

Ah I had no idea, thanks RR!

My Website: http://www.elmsphotography.ca
My Blog: http://www.elmsphotography.blogspot.com

PostPosted: January 9th, 2013, 4:26 pm 

It's not aways but sometimes you build some repour with the staff.

RR

PostPosted: January 11th, 2013, 6:46 pm 

I did speak with the park super. They said it was okay for me to hike in, just have to stay on official camp Site.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2013, 10:39 pm 

FWIW, in my opinion it's hard to plan a winter trip in southern ontario. You very likely will get warm weather, causing melting snow, and miserable wet camping conditions.

I have gone north of Sudbury every chance possible over the last 10 years, using the Budd Car, and dropping off in the Crown Land somewhere. North of Sudbury the weather is noticeably colder. During warm-front passages when it goes +4C and rains in Algonquin, it is still below 0C up north, and the snow stays dry. Winter camping is much more pleasant.

I have researched this to my satisfaction, comparing records when I got back.

I realize that isn't much help if you only have a weekend. Perhaps the key is to stay flexible, keeping your gear prepared, and head out on short notice locally whenever a cold snap and your time-off coincide.

Dave

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 9:33 am 

I've been kicking around these same options...

Anyone ever try driving to Opeongo Lake access (I know the road is plowed all year) and starting a trip from there?

I'm thinking with the lack of snowfall this year, it will be easy hauling on the ice, and this could make an easy weekend getaway.

Anyone else use this access point in the winter?

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 10:37 am 

Gone in that way in the past but whether the road was plowed, depended on whether they were logging up that way. (it was always gated at the junction about midway up the road)
Also, they will advise you (warn you) that if there is no logging going on, then the road might not get plowed out after a snow fall (even if you happen to still be up there)
We have parked at Brewer Lake parking area, about 2 km east of the road, and just hiked in from there. Nice walk, lots of "jays" along the road
FD

PostPosted: January 17th, 2013, 12:44 pm 

February 24-27, 2011 TR from Opeongo... some great photos here, Markus Rubino.

http://www.markinthepark.com/triplogs/t ... 0day1.html

PostPosted: January 21st, 2013, 2:45 pm 

I've always thought Algonquin was the best bet for southern Ontario. There's no question that the snow conditions underfoot can vary tremendously due to bouts of thaw conditions, but a sustained rainfall that would keep one shut up in the tent all day has not actually occurred on any of my trips. And short of actual rain, I'll happily put up with any snow conditions and still call it great camping. In fact, I prefer klister conditions above all others as far as the skiing goes.

Did more trips from Brewer/Opeongo than anywhere else in particular.... so many options.