It is currently November 14th, 2019, 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 19th, 2013, 6:38 pm 

8)
Well it is a little north.... :lol:
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a ... son/11312/
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: August 19th, 2013, 6:56 pm 

We have already had snow this season. Well sorta. Its 50 km away and 1900 meters up.

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/N ... erages.php

There was a trace in July too this year. Labor Day is a dangerous holiday. I remember someone dying outside Lake of the Cloud Hut when caught with summer clothes in a whiteout a few years ago.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2013, 1:33 am 

We were in Algonquin this weekend and although no snow yet I swear that I saw a hint of color on the trees here and there.

Cheers
Rob

PostPosted: August 20th, 2013, 8:44 am 

Red maples are showing a little yellow next to sugar maples here SE of the park.... also basswood. In swamps, some silver maples are showing red.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2013, 8:51 am 

Red maples in wetlands have all turned here.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2013, 10:28 am 

Some typical roadside trees near my house, photo taken earlier this morning showing a mix of several species... the two mid-sized trees near center are red maples beginning to turn, with a little yellow/red showing at their tops. The greener sugar maple of equal size is next to them nearer the left margin. The tall tree at upper right with some yellow/brown showing is basswood. All the other large trees are poplars.

Silver maple swamp is further away and needs to be driven to.... nice day, maybe this afternoon for photos.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2013, 11:23 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

It's been typical of the last few years that the trees start to turn colour in August near me (south of Barrie) So it's not been surprising to see them start again this year. Not huge changes, just enough to be noticeable.

What was stunning to us on the weekend was to be bombarded by mosquitoes while geocaching near Sparrow Lake! :o

I am not a fan of this heat and humidity, so I would gladly welcome cooler temperatures...and maybe some snow.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2013, 2:42 pm 

Some places around here had their first frost of the season last week. Sugar maples are starting to turn in the North Shore Highlands. Pretty typical. Might be a shortened snow-free season this year, as we still had a foot of snow on the ground in early May.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2013, 9:40 pm 

The poplars and aspens are starting to turn . A hint on the maples but we are having a heat wave out west. Tomorrow is supposed to be 33c/91.4f. Not a fan of that but i might go swimming.

bill

"www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

PostPosted: September 11th, 2013, 9:47 pm 

Just to present another out of whack picture. Its been cool lately, below 13 C highs mostly. Of course till today when it hit 30. With matching humidity that made entering the bathroom risky treading on the floor. The maples are yellow. I have to remind myself that autumn colors are a product of light or the absence thereof. God knows we have mostly had rain.

For what little I know this stage could last to October.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2013, 2:23 pm 

Another blue-sky day yesterday, here's the latest fall cavalcade of color progress report.

August 20

September 14

The two red maples are showing the greatest color change and a sugar maple in between them is starting to show yellow.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2013, 4:23 pm 

Two days ago, I heard that unmistakable honking of migrating geese above my backyard. it took me a while to find them: high up, barely visible against he clouds, a formation of about a hundred of them, heading south. It gives you that "summer's over" feeling...

A message of truth - nice!

PostPosted: September 16th, 2013, 5:01 pm 

Erhard wrote:
Two days ago, I heard that unmistakable honking of migrating geese above my backyard. it took me a while to find them: high up, barely visible against he clouds, a formation of about a hundred of them, heading south. It gives you that "summer's over" feeling...

A message of truth - nice!

Yep---As Red Green said "The nights are getting longer, the days are getting shorter......some of us think there's a connection" :lol:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2013, 5:41 pm 

Wotty, you are a funny guy. Let me explain.

Of course we know summer's over - calendar, tv, newspaper, postings on forums etc. But that's all info that's remote, abstract, it doesn't get to the bone. It's typical for the world we live in today, especially if living in the city.

But when you hear and see these honkers heading south, that's a connection for us humans that goes back tens of thousands of years. Such an event touches me deep down - unlike the turning of a calendar leaf that shows we have passed into fall.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2013, 6:58 pm 

It's the opposite in the spring when they're flying north... last year in October I heard geese approaching at twilight while canoeing on Conroy's marsh. They flew low overhead, going south and honking like crazy. With all the gunfire around here, somehow they missed being blown to smithereens on the way down.

Spectacular and the year is closing down. There are birdsongs as well, from songbirds flying south... sometimes a white-throated sparrow which really gets the feeling that summer has passed.

Still have not seen any vees of geese this year.