It is currently November 14th, 2019, 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What do you bring?
PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 10:31 am 

Waiting for the snow to come and planning my first trip of the year. Got me wondering what people drag in. I have a woods prospector so lots of space. These are the key items I bring;

Folding Cot
folding table
folding chair
Coleman lantern
Little Heater Buddy for times I don't want to bother with the fire
Snow shoes
Folding saw
Goose down camp booties. These are a most rediculous looking things but so nice to wear inside.
Light weight hatchet
GPS & Compass
Goal Zero solar panel and power pack. Love that little thing
One larger tupperwear container to store misc stuff.

What about you guys?

Post subject: Re: What do you bring?
PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 1:40 pm 

Really!!!!????!!!!! 38 views and nobody wants to share?

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 6:46 pm 

Interesting to see you bring a Buddy heater. How do you get on with that. I have one that I have considered using in areas with limited firewood availability (e.g. national parks). We have a Eureka Tundraline which is seeing limited use for canoeing but would make a good winter tent as it has enormous vestibules if I could use a heater. It has large vents at the top of each vestibule.

Re. Down booties. I also bring along a pair of chemical warfare overboots that slip over my down booties for trips outside the tent.

Most of my trips are big saw and big axe trips. No time for messing with the small stuff!

The last few trips I began taking along a small cooler to store the things like milk & butter I don't want to freeze.

Chris

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 8:26 pm 

Probably its because these kinds of Posts always have a caveat. They are still interesting to View, but for many, like me, to answer would always require a "it depends".

"It depends"... I don't always bring the same things for every trip. It depends on the nature of the trip.

A quick overnighter, that has little to no distance to cover, I might sled in some extra gear like a cot, stove, or even a chainsaw for that matter.

If I am skiing over a couple of lakes, flat and easy and it's only for one night, I may again sled in some heavy gear like a stove, but a saw instead of a chainsaw.

And again it depends, if I am snowshoeing through bush going up and down hills, breaking trail, then I may only use a backpack with a small solo tent, or even just a bivy with a tarp... it just depends.

Deep Freeze I bring EVERYTHING. Because we base camp for a week and make multiple day trips that might include a variety activities, including drinking heavilish with neighbouring tents? :oops: :thumbup: But then go snowshoeing, skiing, orienteering, fishing, or just socializing, did I mention drinking? :doh:

"Key items" always included? Well, I can generalize with
GPS,map,compass (if exploring), SPOT, iphone??
base layers, mid layers, outer layers
change of "comfy dry evening clothes"
sleeping bag appropriate for expected temperatures
sleeping pad
chosen shelter for the trip (bivy, tent, "hot tent")
cooking system (pocket sized, or MSR International, or portable wood stove)
music (ipod with just ear buds, or small speakers, or even the Bose)
multi tool, lighter, fire steel, fuel
boots, snowshoes,
saw or axe,
small multi-repair kits (duct tape, wire, etc)
and yes, always Booties!! :thumbup:

That's pretty much it.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2013, 11:12 am 

Thanks for response guys. I am trying to learn from people with more experience.

I actually like bringing the little heater buddy as it is enough to cut the chill a bit without having to get a fire going in the morning if I am heading out for day trip. Also, as it has a thermastat will turn on at night when the fire starts to die down. Also has a CO2 sensor cutoff. But of course I always have a vent.

Remember to take time today to respect our fallen Canadian soldiers who have fought so we can have the priviledge to live our comfortable lives and to enjoy the coolest country on the planet.

Lest we forget.