It is currently September 22nd, 2021, 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 27th, 2021, 9:38 am 

It must be around 10 years since I last camped in the winter. My friend Radu seemed interested in such an adventure. We decided to go to Killarney Provincial Park, since none of us visited it in the winter.
The camping restrictions were lifted few days before arriving in the park BUT were imposed again in the same day we got there.
We had to find a place to camp, the only choice was Crown Land. It opened new possibilities, from now on we will look for it on purpose.
Unfortunately my good plan of using the small tent combined with a tarp went downhill fast. After the tent was blown into the river I had to make do with the tarp only, it was quite a cramped space & noisy too because of the high winds that pestered us the whole trip.
First night it was quite uncomfortable, I did have one closed cell mat & a self inflatable mattress. My sleeping bag is rated -18C but it probably lost the insulation over time. Second night I got another (summer) sleeping bag from Radu. I used it as an over-bag and it really helped.
We got to hike to "The Crack" in Killarney Provincial Park, since this was the initial plan anyways. The crampons really helped, there were many icy sections on the trail leading to the top.
The only wildlife encountered was an owl hooting in the night.

I learned my lessons, next time I will be prepared. First time I was using a sled, I can see the advantages.

Here is the movie I made about this trip: https://youtu.be/zG85Llu5TIU

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2021, 11:28 am 

I think your kid will be upset at you destroying their Walt Disney playhouse tent...lol

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit. ~ Edward Abbey