It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Canoe Anchor?
PostPosted: April 1st, 2021, 5:51 pm 

Notes:

1) When holding your position in moving water the HEAVIER end of the boat will seek to be on the downriver end of your position

2) on flat water the LIGHTER end of the boat will always seek to be downwind

3) in current with wind coming upriver it's a hybrid science that leans heavily in favour of CHAOS!

PostPosted: April 1st, 2021, 7:42 pm 

In light winds, I've used a milk jug filled with sand or rocks before. It's cheap and you can just empty it out to save weight, if you desire.

On a sandy bottom it's not a whole lot of help, but on a rocky bottom it works well enough.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2021, 8:34 pm 

I have used a sturdy net with a rock or 2

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2021, 5:35 am 

Two anchors will keep you from going in circles and a big sponge to rest your anchor on when it gets pulled back into the boat.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2021, 6:29 pm 

If you don't need to stay absolutely still, I can recommend a drift sock. Just slows your drift down, so in windy conditions or what not, you can still make a few casts in the same place.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2023, 9:30 am 

Jonathan Kelly wrote:
A grappling anchor.. holds your position better than a bag, and you don't have to search for appropriate rocks (it's surprising how hard it can be on some waterbodies) and then dump them at every portage. And if you fish, it's worth it to be able to hold your position in the wind...the grapples can dig into something and keep you there.

excellent tip on this anchor. and cheap. 1.5 lbs isn't much. less than my hellinox chair 2lbs, which isn't as essential as fishing in peace at a good spot, as opposed to fighting the wind constantly to return to it, which is hard on the body, which a chair tries to oppose. so in a sense an anchor is a chair in disguise. i will be buying this chair to replace my helinox for next trip, and enjoy the .5 pound savings.

to add to the tips here, no matter what weight you use, use enough rope that it angles down rather than dives straightish down, so the weight drags rather than 'bounces' as the wind blows you. much, much more effective just changing that angle to 45 deg at least. the rope length needed for 45 deg is = to depth and a half. Eg, 20 feet deep needs 30 feet rope (actually gets you better than 45 deg).