It is currently January 19th, 2020, 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2012, 10:05 pm 

When I'm not tripping my canoe gets used lots for fishing, a few years back I got inspired by the rig ups that Kayak fishermen were doing and did my own. With the canoe it was a little more tricky because I couldnt do anything permanent, I still wanted to be able to break the rig down to maximize portability and I still wanted to be able to convert the canoe back to a river tripper quickly.

Sorry, I could not post the pictures on this board so here is a link to the pictures of my fishing rig.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=137519

PostPosted: June 24th, 2012, 8:39 am 

Nice work! :D
Very impressive.

Id love to try using a trolling motor. Especially for big water fall pickerel trips.
How long does the charge typically last on one of those batteries?
Ive always thought it would be good for holding onto structure while jigging during windy conditions and areas with strong current.
Has anyone tried using one of those drift socks?

PostPosted: June 24th, 2012, 6:48 pm 

I have used an elec motor on my canoe as well. I have a bought bracket. Here's the bracket I use for the fish finder transducer. It's just made from thin alum barstock bought from(you guessed it) Can Tire.

I have a light weight rod holder that I rarely use---I just put the butt of the rod between my knees. Here in Ont we are not permitted to use 2 rods.

Attachment:
brkt.jpg
brkt.jpg [ 160.2 KiB | Viewed 6383 times ]

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2012, 12:16 pm 

Interesting ideas. Remember you'd need a Boater's Card & different safety gear for a canoe with a motor, because now in Ontario you are a powered vessel the same as any stinkpot.

This was the fishfinder contraption I bodged up, portable and all the pieces stow away clean.

For rod holders I wanted something sturdier than just laying it along the gunwales or under my knee, but yet still accessible for a quick hookset. Gorilla Glued & screwed in some ash end bits from a seat replacement and bolted on a pair of Folbe's, I am quite happy with the rod holders and the setup is sturdy enough to pick up the whole boat by a rod holder. Pretty overkill for most inland fishing but hey, I go after big fish. :D

And you can use two rods in Ontario, you just need to fish bigger water! :D

I did see an interesting downrigger rig done up a yakfisher, he uses a cut down fiberglass trolling rod with everything infront of the first eye & butt behind the reel seat sawn off, a linecounter reel with 80lb braided line, and drags a 2lb ball. He uses that as a downrigger to get down 50-60' no probs.