It is currently January 19th, 2020, 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2012, 10:44 am 

one way of fishing trout that I have had great success with is vertical jigging for trout. I have only done this in late spring and early fall when the trout are still in that 40 foot range. My question is what depths most people find the trout in mid August. (let just say with typical temps etc.) I'm going to give it a try this August and trying to get a small gear pack together. I'm thinking I'll end up fishing in that 70'+ range. Anyone else jig for trout in August? Anyone have any tips to help?

Thanks

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2012, 1:32 pm 

Bring a fishfinder. Really.
In summer the greasers stack up in small areas and jigging can work wonders, but if you don't have a sonar you'll never know if on them or not.

With a sonar it almost becomes a video game, watch jig fall, see trout chase jig, catch trout.
1oz. jighead with a big twistertail grub, they'll actually come off bottom and chase it up 20-30-40' before hitting, it can be kinda fun figuring out what sort of retrieve it takes to trigger them. Find the thermocline, fish all the points & shoals just below the thermocline depth, and eventually you'll find the trout.

Don't just jig it on bottom, let it fall then reel it straight up. How fast you reel will depend on their mood, some days you literally have to burn it up 40' watching a trout follow it all the way before it hits 20' under the canoe fishing 60' deep. Can be kinda fun.
Another trick is not reeling it in smoothly, a herky jerky retrieve works a ton better. Keep your reel handle hand steady, and sort of reel the rod around your handle hand. If that makes any sense. The rod tip will do a circular motion as you crank flicking the jig.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2012, 12:28 pm 

Thanks for the tips...I have a small cheap fish finder I'll bring. Sounds like you enjoy the jigging game as much as I do. Somedays I go up the lake and let the wind drift me down the entire lake jigging as I go. I hit almost every area like that. When I hit the fish I stay there for a bit, then move on.

It's a great way to relax driftin across a lake.

Hopefully I'll have some pics after August and tips on what worked this year.

Thanks again

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2012, 8:47 pm 

I do a lot of jigging for lake trout out here in the Quetico-Superior Country. Just remember that in summer deep jigging for trout is extremely stressful on them when they are pulled from deep water and depressurized in the warm surface waters.

Catch and release often results in the death of trout in summer.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2012, 12:09 pm 

What ghommes said, a big problem for deep trout is decompression. I forgot to add I always let the trout pause just out of sight under the canoe for a minute (usually less), they'll burp out the air in their swim bladder. If you don't and just haul them up as quick as you can they'll just bob around on the surface belly up and die.

As a bonus the size of the air bubbles gives you an idea of how big the fish is, ***BUUUUUURRRP***.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2012, 7:12 pm 

I've done this with Walleye and will definately do the same with the trout...the bubbles are cool to see also.