It is currently August 11th, 2020, 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 8th, 2012, 10:53 pm 

Going into David Lake and Queer lake this week-end for 8 days. Haven;t been to this section for over 25 years and never in the summer. Any chance of catching fish in either lake or area.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2012, 9:53 am 

I was in Misty in the Spring and talked to everyone in portages. The fish were certainly biting in Timberwolf, so its further south than Queer but best chances there. Everyone who stopped at Timberwolf came away pretty happy and disappointed with everywhere else.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2012, 10:37 am 

You might want to walk over to the Tim R from Queer and try the few deep pools below the portage. Caught some small brookies there once on mepps.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2012, 4:27 pm 

I'll being trying the tim river once set-up on Queer.. Are the nicest pools up-river or downstream from the portage. Spending 2 nights at David and then the rest of the nights at Queer. I was at David 30 years ago but always in the Spring. Brook trout fishing was good then. We did a loop from David to mubawayaka to David creek and into little trout but the new Algonquin maps don't have this listed as a route. I remember it being difficult with many hours of stream paddling and a few lifts over some beaver dams. May try it again but will have to check out the water levels the day before. Probably just come back out and cut across Butt to little trout. Hoping to do a few side trips once set-up on Queer. Couple of remote lakes close to David and may get out the compass and go for a hike if David doesn't produce any fish.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 9:11 am 

Finished the trip last week-end. Caught nothing on David. Spent an extra day there and fished Mubawayaka lake extensively and did the portage over to Pond lake. Came back out through Butt and spent the rest of the trip on Queer lake. Caught 1 small speckled and 2 good sized ones on Queer lake. Delicious. Did the portage over to Tim River with just our rods and lunch. Caught a few large size chub but no trout. Quite the portage. Glad we left the canoes behind. Worth the walk for the scenery and small waterfall on Tim. Left my camera s95 on the rock at take-out and hoping to get it or the memory cards back, Buddies have a few pics but I took most of the pictures. High winds coming out and after paddling little trout had to wait out Butt until safe to cross. .Hope to do Queer lake again next year. Pretty lake once you get into the main part of the lake..

PostPosted: August 24th, 2012, 6:25 pm 

How did you like Queer Lake? I was thinking of heading there in September. How does it compare to Little Trout - is one lake better than the other or worth staying at over the other? I'll have to check out the waterfall on Tim River. Sucks that you lost your camera though.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2012, 6:51 pm 

Got my camera back last night. Woo Woo. Thank you, Dmitri. Queer lake looks like crap when you come in from the portage. It's only a first part of a bay. Once you paddle through 2 narrows you get into a nicer part of the lake. Gorgeous campsite with a large rock around the bend that is worth the trip if you can get it. 4 th campsite on the right side going in is also nice with enough level ground for 5 or 6 tents. It's on a small peninsula. I prefer Queer in case the weather gets rough. Has a lot of small protected bays that you can fish even if the wind is blowing. Little Trout can get nasty with the wind blowing through. We set-up on Queer and if you like do the small portage back with just your rods and canoe to little trout but there are trout on Queer.; The waterfall on Tim is halfway between the portage when it forks and the campsite. Campsite is small but looks out to a nice lagoon. Fished it for a while but only caught chub and then went swimming. You have to listen when walking for the falls and you will see a very small trail to get you to the fallls. L:eave the canoes behind and just go for the day. Pretty walk but it goes up and down a lot.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2012, 4:34 pm 

Woo Woo... is right - good to hear you got you camera back.

I couldn't figure out why some people say they don't like Queer and others do. Maybe they had only seen the first part of the lake.

Thanks for the info. I'll try Queer Lake and hopefully get a nice site on the lake. I'll check out the waterfalls on Tim River as well - sounds like it could make for a nice day hike.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2012, 10:45 am 

David Lake, Island Campsite. Pretty campsite.' Went down memory lane to spend a couple of days here but couldn't catch a fish. Used to max out in a few hours of fishing 30 years ago but always went in the spring. Disappointed in the fishing but nice site with a lot of options on side trips that won't kill you.

Fished mubawayaka lake ( no luck) and did a nice walk over to papawagun lake. It's a swampy lake but nice walk.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2012, 11:50 am 

The start of the portage from Queer to tim river'. Little trout creek behind me. Go around the logs to the right and a skip through the brush will give you this view. Creek is too small to canoe or fish but nice view and small run-off into the creek.
Picked up a small brookie on Queer on the way back from Tim.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2012, 3:19 pm 

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2012, 4:28 pm 

Thanks for the pictures. I will check out the Tim River section for sure.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2012, 12:27 pm 

You ever make it to Tim , RANA?

PostPosted: April 15th, 2013, 7:34 pm 

I love this forum! No matter where I am going someone has always posted helpfull info. I am heading into Little Trout/Queer Lake May 6 for one night(providing ice is out). Did you spend any time fishing Ralph Bice? I will definately fish all the way in. Make camp on Little Trout and then probably send the rest of the day fishing there and on Queer. I was thinking of hitting David Lk on the way out Sunday but it sounds like it hasnt been producing. Do you recall any nice sites on Little trout?