It is currently January 19th, 2020, 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: September 15th, 2012, 1:17 pm 

I needed a very lightweight fish cleaning board, since my paddles are not suitable (too convex and slippery, or WW stick with a spine), and besides I don't want fish slime on my paddles. The canoe bottom is also not an option for me. I tried the flexible cutting board sheets, but found them very awkward to get flat, and still very hard to get the knife flat under the fish for skinning. So I came up with the solution of attaching the flexi board to a gardener's kneeling foam, and it worked great. Total weight = 129g! I attach this to the canoe under a seat with attached cord and plastic clip when portaging, so I consider it "weightless" relative to the canoe. I can portage an extra 129g.

This photo shows the white flexi board on top attached with zip ties to the kneeling pad. The pad has a hard, plastic-like black foam on one side, which I chose to mount the flexi board against. You can see it as a black line under the white flexi board. The bottom is a softer blue foam that allows for grip to the ground.

Underside showing the softer blue foam

I drilled the holes for the ties instead of punching, so it hopefully will not tear. On hindsight I should have made these holes further apart, so hopefully they won’t crack. But it’s a cheap replacement.

The thickness is nice, as it allows the hand to get at or below the level of the fish when doing the skinning cut.

After use I wipe it with moss and discard the moss in the water, well way from camp. But the board will still smell like fish to a bear. So for overnight, I use the attached cord plus hook to clip it to a shrub and float it, fish side down in the water. If a bear wants it, it can have it, and its well away from camp. No in-camp bear risk or other critter issues as far as I can see. If a beaver chews it up for fun, no big loss, its cheap to replace.

Walleye on the fire from just a few days ago on my early September trip :D

PostPosted: September 16th, 2012, 8:24 pm 

Looks like a handy tool to have. Thanks for posting. I have been taking an actual small cutting board that my wife donated to the camping stuff.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out. John Wooden.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2012, 10:58 am 

Thats a great idea HOOP.
Iam more partial to the organic approach tho. :D
I just cut cedar planks with the chainsaw. Ill also use the axe for smaller ones to serve as dinner platters.