It is currently August 11th, 2020, 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 8th, 2013, 2:46 pm 

Hello my name is doug I am new to the site. I am an avid fishermen and have been all my life . I have spent most of my life chasing all sorts of fish from Vancouver to Florida and have been very successful figuring it out on my own. I have never bothered asking other fisherman for places to go and am usually the one giving out the spots......BUT in the last few years my attention has been directed towards brook trout. I have found all the spots within 2 hours from my home town Oakville but am looking for places on crown land as me and my fiancé love getting out in the Ontario wilderness. I have all the equipment necessary and very experienced backcountry camping. I am down on my hands and knees begging for some help...literally . I have already checked out three separate lakes in the Algonquin highlands are this summer on three different trips. struck out every time. This is getting ridiculously expensive lol. but I will never give up. one thing I have noticed about spec fisherman is they would rather have there goods cut off rather than give up any info. I am willing to trade world class spots in southern Ontario for any kind of fish in exchange....... Looking to go away this weekend again and have no clue . I have spent close to 20 hours on line searching. at least! pleaaaaaase any info would help. thanks for reading and enjoy life :D

PostPosted: August 9th, 2013, 9:40 am 

I used to do brook trout creel census, a long time ago, and can tell you that catch rate does typically pick up quite a bit in late Sept once the water cools off. The hardcore BT fishermen I know in this area will start fishing seriously at that time and they do catch specks.

Your catch will probably improve if you simply wait for surface water to cool off to the temps that BT prefer, less than 15C.

Consult the Algonquin fishing booklet for BT lakes, often there will be something more productive a port or two away from the easy-access lakes.

Club lake near Kiosk has had a good catch rate from creel census and it, along with Whitebirch and Waterclear near Kiosk could be productive late in the season... good luck!

PostPosted: August 10th, 2013, 7:56 pm 

Hi Doug,

welcome to the site.
iam not much of an ‘insider’ lol, but ive devoted a ridiculous amount of time to fishing for specs.all of my spec fishing is don the through the ice these days. winter camping and spec fishing is one of my favourites.

if your willing to drive just a little farther, id suggest goin to Elliot Lake.
youll have over 4000 lakes to choose from and most all hold trout.
many are within walkin distance from town too. go into Elliot Lk Trading Post and thell help you out. (great folks)

All the very best,

-B

PostPosted: August 11th, 2013, 3:17 am 

Go here and check their "Fish Online Tool".

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Le ... 65904.html