It is currently January 19th, 2020, 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 15th, 2014, 9:27 am 

I agree that if you're trying to make time then trolling is just going to be frustrating. There's not much point trolling in open water unless you happen to pass over a reef or some kind of structure. And of course if I'm paddling where it's weedy or shallow then I haul my line in.
That being said I almost always have a line in the water and have had great success with Lake Trout, Walleye and Pike. If you're fishing in the summer then you want your line down pretty deep. The easiest way to get there (though perhaps not the most effective) is a deep diving Rapala Taildancer, which you can get for 15, 20 and 30 feet. I've caught some nice 6 and 7 pound Lakers that way and plenty of Walleye. Just about all the Pike I've caught over 40" have been while trolling.
I'll also troll using snap weights or in line weights to get my lures down. In that case I can use any of a number of shallow running stick baits. My favourite is the Vision 110 which is designed for bass but I've caught Walleye, Trout and Pike by taking it deep. I've also tried 3-way swivels but like others have mentioned I've found them to be more of a hassle than they're worth.
This year is going to be the year of the jig for me. I plan to take a lot of jig heads in different weights and combine them with safety pin spinners, which should be excellent for trolling or casting. With jig spinners (safety pin spinners) there is a lot of flexibility since you can easily change the jig head for different weights as well as different coloured and shaped soft swim baits, grubs etc. And they're not so likely to snag. One thing I would recommend if you use jig spinners is to swap the cheapo barrel swivels that typically come with them for better quality ball bearing swivels.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2014, 11:44 am 

I have written a book about fishing from a canoe on wilderness trips.

Here's a link to Kindle. It's $2.99. It's also available as a physical book on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/A-Guide-Wildernes ... B0075W2JSM

There's a section on trolling. I agree with most of the comments above. However, I don't normally troll while traveling. From time to time, you do happen onto fish. But, I don't think it is as effective as trolling with a purpose.

Frankr

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 6:05 am 

Thanks everyone for the tip and tricks... got even more info here then I expected!!!!

I'm going probably late may early june... We are crossing a few fishing lakes that have lake trout and splake. Also 1 brook trout lake and to finnish off a lake known to hold big pike. I've had success with three way swivel on lake temagami for lakers but often get laughed at by buddies as they are steel line fisherman. I personally don't like the idea of snagging and letting 150-200feet of wire into the lake.

I've used a bottom bouncer for walleye in the past aswell therefore Inow have a game plan.

Should I start by trolling shorelines this early in the season without weight? Or go straight to bottom bouncing at about 40fow?

Last but not least when it comes to trout (3 species above) is trolling better then paddling and casting towards the shoreline? Should I maybe try both?

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge!!

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 8:28 am 

For lakes I would troll. If you find a nice river with some pools or rapids, then casting is the way to go.

When trolling in late May/early June it's probably time to be trolling in the 24' - 40' depth range. Flat lining without weight you're probably averaging no more than 10' - 12' deep with the lures which works well in depths to about 16' but I expect the fish will be lower by then.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 8:54 am 

Quote:
Last but not least when it comes to trout (3 species above) is trolling better then paddling and casting towards the shoreline? Should I maybe try both?

I've caught lake trout by casting to structure in shallow water at the shoreline... worth a try.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 1:11 pm 

^ I caught one laker while I was sitting in a canoe resting against a rocky shore, under a white pine overhang, getting out of an early May shower ... dragging a small silver Williams in figure 8's on two feet of line checking out the action.

It's never too shallow right after ice out!

PostPosted: April 30th, 2014, 2:15 pm 

Not a Fisherman.

As a Solo Paddler I go through trolling phases. Too often I find myself having to stop to clear bundles of weeds from my line. To avoid the hassel I fish when I arrive at camp. Next trip, I shake my head, listen for the rattle, pondering my slough like attitude.

I've tried running a bobber on top of lures or plugs to keep them shallow, and find that some weeds escape. I've had a little success with diving plugs that float when you stop. But end up stopping to clean them more than I like.

Then I remember the biggest fish I caught ever, a huge Muskie in Quetico, when trolling beyond six portages, was in the middle of the day with a heavy spoon set on a bobber. At the time I felt that activity a waste of time.

Being pulled round in my solo by a fish was different.

Cheers

PostPosted: April 27th, 2015, 8:26 pm 

Trolling with a fly rod from a canoe is really enjoyable and effective. No line twist or tangle... simple setup and with a weedless fly or a hook riding point up, not much weed problem either. I use a sinking line if I want to go deeper.

And like someone said earlier, the erratic movement of the canoe really make the fly comes alive.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2015, 8:34 pm 

Interesting, but how do you get the point to stay up?

I guess if you are not casting you could use mono or braid instead of a fly line.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2016, 9:06 pm 

Trolling is how I catch my main meal. I'll go out at four or so in the morning and catch a lot of fish by casting, but I release all those fish because I don't want to be dragging a fish on a stringer while I'm fishing. When it's time to eat, I'll wait until I'm about a half mile from my campsite and toss out a crankbait to catch a pike or walleye. Easy-peasy.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2016, 9:41 pm 

If you want to get some tips on fishing from a paddle craft in your area, check out the kayak fishing forums from that area, such as the Northwest Kayak Angler's forum. Such forums can be found in many different regions. The people on these forums are really into fishing, which is why they are a good source of information. But because they are into fishing, they tend to carry more fishing gear on their kayaks than it would be feasible to carry on a multi-day canoe or kayak trip.