It is currently August 11th, 2020, 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 28th, 2015, 10:09 am 

Hello, I am looking to buy a good 14' to 16' canoe for fishing. I will be using it on the grand river as well as a lot of inland lakes for bass, pike and walleye. I am going to rule out any type of kevlar or fibreglass material as it will be used in a river and may be exposed to some rocks. I don't plan on any type of white water or rapids I just want a canoe for the grand river and smaller inland lakes. Above all else I would like a very stable canoe that I can get 2 adults and maybe a small child in the middle, width of the canoe should be 38" to 40". Its going on top of my car so I would like it to be around 50 to 70 pounds. I do really like the idea of an electric trolling motor mounted on the back and either it comes with the mount or I can buy a kit for it aftermarket.

I have been looking at the 14' Sportspal aluminum canoes but im not sure how it would hold up to light rock encounters in a river? I would also like to look into royalex or some sort of durable poly material, I just don't wat to be up around 80-90 pounds for a canoe. What do you guys think???

PostPosted: June 28th, 2015, 11:55 am 

Sportspal canoes are built for lightness and the thin aluminum won't be very durable... Grummans are heavier and should be able to take some abuse.

Here's a used 15' aluminum that's been listed three hours ago... could be a good deal, maybe make an offer today.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-canoe-kayak-padd ... nFlag=true

PS.... price and description from a dealer near Rochester, NY. Lifetime guarantee so should be durable.

http://www.oakorchardcanoe.com/michicraft.php

PostPosted: June 28th, 2015, 4:13 pm 

frozentripper wrote:
Sportspal canoes are built for lightness and the thin aluminum won't be very durable... Grummans are heavier and should be able to take some abuse.

Here's a used 15' aluminum that's been listed three hours ago... could be a good deal, maybe make an offer today.

PS.... price and description from a dealer near Rochester, NY. Lifetime guarantee so should be durable.

http://www.oakorchardcanoe.com/michicraft.php

Been talking to this guy all day, anybody want to meet a real a$$hole just shoot this guy a msg. I have never talked to a bigger jerk in my life, acted like I was privileged to be talking to him about his canoe.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2015, 6:58 pm 

Aluminum canoes come up for sale on Kijiji all the time... all of the people I've bought stuff from have been nice. This guy sounds like he has problems, don't know him and wouldn't want to deal with him.

Anyway, good luck.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2015, 7:10 pm 

I wish there was the perfect combo between weight and durability available at a good price. I know there are your basic prospector designs but I think I'm looking for something even wider and more stable. I want to be able to stand up and fish without feeling like I'm gonna tip over.

Can anyone recommend a good canoe that won't break the bank for fishing?

PostPosted: June 30th, 2015, 8:25 am 

You might find a Prospector tippy if you try to stand and fish... flat-bottomed canoes OTOH are more likely to provide the initial stability needed.

There is a recent Grumman listing at the Toronto Kijiji but IIRC it's 17 feet.

Another place you can try is Algonquin park and the outfitters there... they will most likely let you test paddle, stand and cast, check for stability, etc, before buying.

https://portagestore.com/2015-used-canoes-for-sale/

Other places you could check out for aluminum Grummans and Michis are Algonquin Outfitters and Killarney outfitters. The best prices will probably be at the end of the season when the outfitters are buying new canoes and need to sell their old ones... happy hunting.

PS... I don't understand why the need to stand and cast from a canoe... I fly-fish and spin-cast AOK sitting or kneeling... never had the need to stand to cast and I've caught my share of fish.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2015, 5:00 pm 

I'm gonna say go for a 14-15' Sportspal.
They're plenty strong enough for what you're describing.

Throw an outrigger on for the stand up stuff.

Better yet, take up poling and learn to stand in pretty much anything without an outrigger.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2015, 6:24 pm 

I'm in a toss up between the Nova Craft Outfitter SP3 15' and the Sportspal 14' double pointed. I want a stable craft that I can stand up in when fishing, I also like the idea of having a trolling motor mounted on it. To be honest I want this craft for fishing and a trolling motor and great stability are key features I'm leaning towards. We own a Swift Kipawa 16' kevlar that stays at the cottage so we can use that for tripping and big lakes. The only thing I'm worried about is the Sportspal aluminum hull on the grand river, do you think it would hold up if im careful with it?

This is where the Nova Craft 15' SP3 outfitter comes in, being that it's made from SP3 I know it will take a beating but it also weighs 75 pounds versus the Sportspal's 41 pounds. I'm also not sure about the Nova Crafts stability, not sure I could stand up and move around in this canoe or if I could get a trolling motor mount for it.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2015, 7:29 pm 

Another option would be to buy a regular canoe and buy or make outriggers for fishing.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2015, 11:02 am 

Thank you very much for the advise so far everyone. I am starting to learn the canoe "lingo" and what to look for in a stable canoe. While I think the sports pal might just be the best option I am still worried about how that thin aluminum will hold up, I am careful with my gear and don't abuse it in any way. I'm just thinking about those un seen rocks that we all know do pop up from time to time.

Would you guys also have a look at another canoe I have been researching. It's called the Paluski Adirondack 14, it is a double pointed canoe with a 39" center beam, flat bottom and supposedly has a keel also. It's made of triple layer poly and weighs about 75 pounds.

Whatever canoe I buy won't be going on 1km portages so lightweight is going to take a back seat to durability and stability. It doesn't have foam sponsons like the sports pal but I think I could buy an aftermarket motor mount kit or just make one. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: July 13th, 2015, 4:59 pm 

Don't like the double seats or the weight for such a short boat.
Will not balance well sitting on the seats as solo.
You might want to see if you can get a trail in the Old Town Next
http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/next/
Solo boat short, sitting (don't know you age or limitations - balance)
You can use a kayak paddle or a short single, will float in fairly shallow water.
Price is not to bad, not as cheap as the Adriondack 14.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: July 15th, 2015, 8:51 pm 

I would second the idea of an outrigger. You can buy various styles or make your own which is what I did. Took an old style floating pool chair and converted the floats to a pair of outriggers. Used a copper pipe as cross bar with a wood dowel to stiffen it and j bolts to connect to gunwale. I use it when needed for extra stability, fishing, motor in use etc. It packs into an old hockey duffel bag when not needed and is light however bulky to tote around.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 7:30 am 

Look for Scott canoes for sale on kijiji, or just google them. They made great square back canoes. I had an 18 footer, you could put a cow in it and hold a square dance. They are fiberglass, but very well constructed. Downside is they are heavy, but I was always able to cartop it and drag it to where ever I was fishing. Mine could easily take a 6 horse, a smaller one could easily take a 3 horse.

Sportspal will not last. I destroyed a couple of them. Eventually, they all turn into soggy styrofoam bathtubs. They will all develop leaks at some point, even if you are very careful. The rivets don't hold.

A used Scott square stern in good shape shouldn't be more than 400 bucks.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 7:37 am 

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 9:54 am 

Sportspal warranty is only good for a year which says something.

http://www.meyersboat.com/sportspal/warranty

IIRC Grumman had a lifetime warranty and Novacraft's (fiberglass, Kevlar, etc) is still good for life.