It is currently August 11th, 2020, 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 16th, 2015, 2:26 pm 

Hey Tinboatman, I have the same motor. Took me to Moosonee when I hurt my hand and couldn't paddle. How have you got it mounted?

PostPosted: July 17th, 2015, 9:03 pm 

Hi Krusty the motor mount is homemade. Flat bar aluminum with a double thickness 3/4 plywood glued and screwed together for the pad. A couple of bolts running vertical down thru top pad, bar and smaller bottom pad hold them together. Bolts washer and a wing nut hold the bar on the gunwale.
The canoe was bought new 36 years ago and has served me well. The motor is 31 years old and the gearcase seals have started to leak. Of course parts are nonexistant so I have to ensure the case is drained every fall and fresh oil added so it won't frezze and crack. Hopefully both will outlast me ( I'm looking at 70 in the rearview mirror) and the next owner can deal with the issue!

PostPosted: July 18th, 2015, 9:31 am 

Wandering off topic, but yup, I have the 1.4hp 6500 model with a neutral gear my brother brought new in the late 70's.
Had to take the lower unit apart on that Missinaibi trip and refilled it with vegetable oil - no problem. It's currently over-heating - hope my wizard mechanic friend can revive it. I think mine uses an old Tanaka carb. which are still available. Here's a site that has a copy of the manual:

http://www.jvangurp.com/cruise_n_carry.html