It is currently January 27th, 2021, 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Great Recipe!
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2003, 8:03 pm 
i posted this for another topic. it's for cooking lake trout, as well as some other fish probably.

I used to clean the fish by taking the meat off both sides with a knife.

the new way for me is much better. they meat is moist and tastes better.

-cut the head, fins, and tail off.
-clean the guts of the fish out by slitting the belly.
-then you have to take out the main blood vein (along the backbone) this is done by scraping it off with a knife) - it is a Dark red colour...

Now you can cook it:
fill the middle with butter, garlic, and seasoning salt (make sure the fish is "closed", in otherwords, keep the two sides of the belly together.
-wrap in tinfoil (shiny side in - it reflects heat in) tightly.

place on the barbecue for about 15-25 mins (not sure of the correct time yet..) and flip a few times.
-when you unwrap the tinfoil, the skin should stick to it, and will peel off.
- now grab the main tailbone, hold onto the fish, and pull.
-the whole ribcage and all bones should slide out.

this way you get All of the meat, and it doesn't dry out the fish.

-there are different seasonings that can be put inside the fish, probably better then mine. i found that it didn't have enough taste.
So add A Lot OF SEASONINGS!

if you find any better spices or seasonings, let me know.

Good Luck & Fishing,
Mark<><

Post subject: fish
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2003, 8:14 pm 
Hey, Mark,
You left out detailed instructions for Step 1: catch the trout! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2003, 8:22 pm 

I like to cook fresh caught fish with the tin foil method as well but instead of a barbecue we use the coals of a fire to cook it with.

As well as the spices mentioned, you can also stuff the fish with sliced mushrooms, sliced or chopped onions, chopped up lemon slices, pepper, and butter. And any combinations of these stuffings are great too!

Just remember that fish need not be cooked for a long time. Just long enough to "white" the meat. Any longer will over-cook the fish and it will lose flavour and moistness.

Bon Apetite!

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2003, 9:05 am 

Seasoning salt has to be one of the best things to add to fish cookied in foil, and with some margerine thrown in, finger-lickin' good.. Lake trout taste fairly "fishy" for me, so I've carried some of those vinegar packets from hamburger joints, and that seems to go well, too. Garlic, huh? Gotta try that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2003, 9:09 am 

I cook my fish the same way, except that I don't do all that prep. I just cut the belly and empty the guts out. I leave the tail, head and fins intact.

I do use the "foil" method over hot coals, just like Tripper mentionned. The slower the fish cooks, the better tasting.

I use green peppers and oignons for added flavor. And I soaked the fish with fresh lemon juice. If you put enough lemon juice so that it can be absorbe by the meat, you get a really nice edgy taste.

I will use more or less lemon juice depending on the type of fish. The stronger "fish taste" a fish has, the more lemon juice I use to kill that taste (As in pike or bass). I use a little less for trout.

I use this technique for all fish. I don't bother "scaling" pike. They just come off with the skin when it sticks to the tin foil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2003, 8:52 pm 

I too use "foil" method. I use 2-3 peaces of Bay leaves, fennel seeds, and 1 clove of garlic - no salt of any kind. The mash potatoes powder is the greatest invention - just add boiling water - and it goes so well with the fish... :clap: