It is currently September 27th, 2020, 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Any Opeongo advice??
PostPosted: April 10th, 2003, 9:37 am 
Hi there. Headed to Opeongo for the 1st time, come 2nd week of May. Not too sure of exactly where to go on such a big lake. I've heard through the grapevine that the East Arm has the better fishing...true/false??

I would appreciate any input, to campspots, or even general areas to fish.

PS, I'd like to eat perhaps one trout while there, but will be a catch & release trip.

Thanks alot.

Opeongovirgin

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2003, 11:48 am 

The historical fisheries data from Opeongo suggests that the East Arm is the most productive, the reason's thought to be the presence of reefs along the more steeply sloping shore zones. Trolling off of and around points, where reefs are likely to extend out into the lake is probably a good idea. Also the catch rate tends to pick up towards evening, and probably at dawn as well.

With lake trout, it's fairly straightforward - the more hours spent trolling, the more fish caught (or the greater the chances of catching one). On some trips, we just pack the canoe in the morning and troll for hours on the way to the next campsite, there's nothing like a good sunny day to be fishing and relaxing, especially if the day is calm.

There are good campsites in the East Arm, although I haven't been there for so long I can't remember where they are exactly.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2003, 1:25 pm 

Are you planning on fishing from a canoe or by boat? If you're in a canoe, I would definitely opt for a quick portage (well, not to Dickson) over to a nearby lake. The fishing should be much better. Opeongo gets fished regularly all season long by people in power boats, and there will be plenty of power boats out when you're going to be there.

Just a thought.

Post subject: Re: Any Opeongo advice??
PostPosted: April 10th, 2003, 1:52 pm 
PS, I'd like to eat perhaps one trout while there, but will be a catch & release trip.

Better bring the trout in with you then :P

Its a big lake, you can ferry you gear and canoe to the far end and then set up base.

Post subject: Any Opeongo Advice???
PostPosted: April 12th, 2003, 6:28 pm 
goose wrote:
Are you planning on fishing from a canoe or by boat? If you're in a canoe, I would definitely opt for a quick portage (well, not to Dickson) over to a nearby lake. The fishing should be much better. Opeongo gets fished regularly all season long by people in power boats, and there will be plenty of power boats out when you're going to be there.

Just a thought.

I will be in a small motor boat, so portaging isn't an option.....This will be my first time tripping in a power boat actually. The past few years I've tripped the beginning of May (in a canoe) at some of the Park's smaller lakes. Unfortunately, I don't feel experienced enough to be on a big lake like Opeongo in a canoe, especially if the ice has only been off a few days.