It is currently September 27th, 2020, 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 1st, 2003, 10:41 am 
Enjoyed the "best lure" discussion. So now I would like to expand the topic to the best way to store and carry our lures and accoutrements over the portages and journeys into the northland.

Cwolfe

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2003, 11:20 am 

Well........

Depends on how much you bring, which in turn depends on what type of fishing you plan on doing and what type of fish you're after.

Personally I have run the full spectrum of fishing equipment.

Before I was really interested in fishing, I took only a couple of spoons, a couple of spinners and a floating minnow (rapala) as well as an assortment of hooks and sinkers.

Once I became obsessed with fishing, after living in the Caribbean for 5 years, my tackle box was heavily loaded with at least a dozen each of spoons, spinners and minnow baits (shallow, deep diving, sinking, exploding, fish hunting, etc....) as well as hooks, sinkers, bobbers.... I managed to fit a ridiculous amount of tackle into a large PLANO adjustable single tray stowaway (about 14x9). It weighed a ton and I never used more than a bit of the stuff. Add all the flyfishing paraphernalia I now use and now you're taking an absurd amount of weight. Heaven forbid you add a sonar!!! Oy!!!

Now I force myself to pick my favorite lures (Cleo's, Mepps, EGB's and Rapalas) in proven colours and sizes and I'm virtually back where I started, but now I have confidence in my tackle. I'm using a 9x7 PLANO, which I plan on switching for one of the new smaller waterproof ones. I'll get another to hold a field fly tying kit for longer trips and I'll be all set.

Funny fish story (and true)...
Two buddies and I were paddling in a never to be revealed trout lake. As we hit the lake my friends cast out their lures and started trolling as I paddled to our campsite across the lake. After following the shore for most of the way, neither of them had caught a fish. I paddled them over to a place we affectionately call "Trout Alley" where I was sure they would have better luck. 20 minutes and a hundred futile casts later they began to grumble. In mock disgust, I grabbed my rod from behind me, put on a perch cleo spoon and fired my first cast of the day, of the trip, towards the shore. After no more than 20 turns of the reel, I hooked onto a smallish laker, (maybe 20"). Talk about bragging rights!!! True story!! May God impale my canoe on jagged rocks if I'm lying!!!

Moral: keep it simple and take as much credit for sheer luck as you can!!!

The two buddies on the never to be revealed trout lake

Chard

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2003, 11:24 am 

Well I like to keep it simple.

I have a small 'plano' takle box that I carry. The box is transparent white plastic and is approximately 6in x 8in x 2in deep. The lid flips open and gives access to compartments that are sizeable in width with small plastic dividers. The lid clips very well and tight. The box is not waterproof though.

The lid only opens 1 side of the box, unlike some thicker boxes that have 2 sides, hence 2 lids.

I like this small box because I can carry it in my pocket, and it packs light....very light!. I carry it with me when I do tripping. When I am fishing in a boat (as in, motorized boat) I carry my huge tackle box.

So when I go tripping, I always bring what I need for the specific trip. Weither beeing a lake canoe trip, a river ww trip, or just simply finding a tiny creek that runs down a mountain. I pack this box according to my 'needs'

Happy Fishing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2003, 11:27 am 

Well I like to keep it simple.

I have a small 'plano' takle box that I carry. The box is transparent white plastic and is approximately 6in x 8in x 2in deep. The lid flips open and gives access to compartments that are sizeable in width with small plastic dividers. The lid clips very well and tight. The box is not waterproof though.

The lid only opens 1 side of the box, unlike some thicker boxes that have 2 sides, hence 2 lids.

I like this small box because I can carry it in my pocket, and it packs light....very light!. I carry it with me when I do tripping. When I am fishing in a boat (as in, motorized boat) I carry my huge tackle box.

So when I go tripping, I always bring what I need for the specific trip. Weither beeing a lake canoe trip, a river ww trip, or just simply finding a tiny creek that runs down a mountain. I pack this box according to my 'needs'

Happy Fishing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2003, 9:37 am 
I've had the kind with two lids for a few years, a little thick but I found a good fanny pack with extra pouches and it takes care of pretty well any of my backwoods fishing trip needs...can take things like forceps,extra line, stringer, bug juice,all-in-one-pliers,...