It is currently May 29th, 2022, 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 28th, 2022, 4:54 pm 

Canoeing is fun.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2022, 5:42 pm 

Canoe Daddy wrote:
Canoeing is fun.

and so is chatting around a campfire. How many times have we conversed around said campfire without needing to be right and win the debate?

PostPosted: January 28th, 2022, 6:00 pm 

oh you guys paddle??
right on, me too.
what a small world.

:D

PostPosted: January 28th, 2022, 7:44 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
Canoe Daddy wrote:
Canoeing is fun.

and so is chatting around a campfire. How many times have we conversed around said campfire without needing to be right and win the debate?

But sometimes there is this camper who drones on and on and sends the rest scampering for their sleeping bags! :lol: :wink:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2022, 10:09 pm 

wotrock: "But sometimes there is this camper who drones on and on and sends the rest scampering for their sleeping bags!"

Being oblique, are we? Or perhaps the new watchword is creating a narrative. There was no scampering, the moderator in his wisdom destroyed the evidence! With this eberlym: " I have decided to delete the thread titled 'How Democracies Die.' My reasoning is weak as you know,..." all evidence gone. Now we are reduced to self-serving manufactured narratives.

Then we had eight pages of what amounts to gossip mongering with "locking threads" until this wotrock plea: "i humbly suggest that this thread be locked. How's that for irony" on page 7.

Humble pie is it!? Perhaps crumble pie would be more apt. Maybe a resting home where "baah---a bit of 'topic drift makes often makes threads more interesting" is trending in the late hours.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2022, 12:58 am 

"But sometimes there is this camper who drones on and on and sends the rest scampering for their sleeping bags! :lol: :wink:"

You guys (and girls) know about the ignore option right?
It works in the outside world and also on this forum.

If nobody listens then pretty soon the camper moves on and tries to camp with someone else! 8)

PostPosted: January 29th, 2022, 7:42 am 

Canoeheadted: "You guys (and girls) know about the ignore option right? "

Sorry, you're a day late and a dollar short. Don't you read the posts? The wording is a bit different but the intent is the same. I do believe I am living on borrowed time. At some point in time, the gumption option will be employed. Someone will just do it and some justification will be cobbled together and dumped on a believing public. Just like life, someday I will just not be there. Actuarially, both nationally and internationally, my "due date" has come and gone so one could say I am living on borrowed time. But Clock is Ticking! Being a futurist of limited vision but suffering the infinite, I am anticipating my forever home. I am earnestly leaning toward an urn. Perhaps I shall have stenciled on it these words "A Trivial Comedy for Serious People".
A place where being earnest takes on a whole new meaning. A paradox for the ages.

But I get ahead of myself. Campers wotrock & Mike McCrea preempted you.

version one: "Trolling provocatively and not getting a bite, changing lures, changing speeds and still not even a nibble. That has got to be frustrating."

version two: "But sometimes there is this camper who drones on and on and sends the rest scampering for their sleeping bags!"

I am sure others in practicing what they preach, practiced what they preach.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2022, 8:20 am 

wotrock wrote:
But sometimes there is this camper who drones on and on and sends the rest scampering for their sleeping bags!

I have seen that happen in real life on a trip. A paddle-in gathering of inter-net “friends”, most of whom had never actually met before. Eight guys camping on an island in the north country, hail and well met as each canoe pulled in.

Then HE showed up. And never stopped talking, mostly about himself. And he kept talking. Eight guys became six. And he kept talking, about his gear, his trips, his knowledge. Toxic narcissism. Six guys became four.

And he kept right on going. Until there were just two guys left, desperate to flee but unable to make an unseen escape. One of them announced that he “needed to get something” and escaped to the far side of the island where the other refugees had gathered.

Realizing that he had a sole surviving captive the legend in his own mind announced that he had forgotten to pack his tent, got back in his canoe and paddled away, never to be seen again.

He remained a legend on-line.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2022, 8:40 am 

Canoeheadted wrote:
"But sometimes there is this camper who drones on and on and sends the rest scampering for their sleeping bags! :lol: :wink:"

If nobody listens then pretty soon the camper moves on and tries to camp with someone else! 8)

Oh sure. Except there is little else here.. Think I will move my campfire.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2022, 9:49 am 

Canoeheadted wrote:

Thanks for this...I did have to search for it...it's called foes

PostPosted: January 29th, 2022, 11:01 am 

Well! He huffed and he puffed. He puffed and he huffed. And he huffed, huffed, and he puffed, puffed; but he could not blow the house down. At last, he was so out of breath that he couldn't huff and he couldn't puff anymore. So he stopped to rest and thought a bit.

But this was too much. The wolf danced about with rage and swore he would come down the chimney and eat up the little pig for his supper. But while he was climbing onto the roof the little pig made up a blazing fire and put on a big pot full of water to boil. Then, just as the wolf was coming down the chimney, the little piggy pulled off the lid, and plop! in fell the wolf into the scalding water.

Moral of the story:
The big bad wolf thought he was invincible. His bravado and ego were boosted by his early successes. He easily blew down the house of straw, and the house of sticks, though a little harder to blow down, was still no match for his lungs. But when he came across the house of bricks, he fell short. The wolf pursued the three pigs even though he wore himself out trying to blow down the house of bricks. He should have stopped while he was ahead and focused on easier prey. But greed got the better of him and he continued his pursuit which landed him in hot water.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2022, 11:07 am 

"Oh sure. Except there is little else here.. Think I will move my campfire."

Sure you will... You know we can all see you peeking from the forest, right? 9000+ posts... I don't think so.

"Thanks for this...I did have to search for it...it's called foes"

Ya, but obviously that's been mislabeled.
The use of the word foe is way too much credit.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2022, 12:06 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
Except there is little else here.. Think I will move my campfire.

Most often, when the campfire begins to sputter, someone adds another log. “Campfire”, not dumpster fire. I know it is winter and all, but other areas on CCR are begging for tales and stories, equipment ideas, and general merriment discussion.

Don’t make me go pick up another derelict dumpster canoe.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2022, 3:52 pm 

With this notoriety, I'm becoming a legend in my own mons!

PostPosted: January 29th, 2022, 5:09 pm 

Mike McCrea wrote:
littleredcanoe wrote:
Except there is little else here.. Think I will move my campfire.

Most often, when the campfire begins to sputter, someone adds another log. “Campfire”, not dumpster fire. I know it is winter and all, but other areas on CCR are begging for tales and stories, equipment ideas, and general merriment discussion.

Don’t make me go pick up another derelict dumpster canoe.

Hard to beat your stories even if you added a bit of extra 'color' after the fact! :lol: How 'bout another one as a break from all those technical details about restoring old boats?? :lol: :wink:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.