It is currently August 4th, 2020, 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: December 31st, 2009, 7:30 am 

littlered wrote:
Quote:
Over just south of Whiteclay?

never say never...

ok that explains things.

Did you experience something on Whiteclay?

PostPosted: December 31st, 2009, 9:26 am 

I taught in Fort Severn about 10 years ago. The year before I got there, there had been numerous 'sightings'. Although I did not see anything myself, I was shown photographs (from a film camera with the negatives). The locals had a poor(motion blurr, dark) quality photograph of what I would describe as a very large black bear walking upright on it's hind legs- in the snow. The locals had also photographed the footprint left behind with a human foot placed next to it for size comparison.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2009, 10:03 am 

Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) district supervisor Rick Tapley also discovered and took pictures of tracks, at an abandoned radar station about 80 kilometres from Peawanuck. He too was at a loss to explain what made such huge prints in an isolated area. "I found the large prints in the ground near the site and there is no way they are a hoax. It's too far from anywhere and we had to fly in by helicopter said Tapley.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/articl ... andard.htm

http://misabiadventurecompany.ca/

PostPosted: December 31st, 2009, 10:47 am 

I heard about the Peawanuk sightings too from guys that came from that reserve via snow mobile. Before I saw the photos of the feet prints, I figured it had to have been a big bear print- polar bears were not uncommon in town. However, the print was easily 1.5X the size a a man's boot at the shape was deffinitely not a bear. Bear prints are more squashed and round, this was longer and narrower.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2009, 11:41 am 

Man made footprints:
http://www.cybersalt.org/cleanlaugh/images/04/novicetracker.htm

How to make bigfoot footprints. (over 700,000 searches for this BTW)
http://www.bigfootencounters.com/biology/baird.htm
http://www.orgoneresearch.com/bigfoot'%20mid%20tarsal%20break.htm

Self propelled mindfullness kayak and canoe travel

PostPosted: December 31st, 2009, 12:37 pm 

Mac wrote:
littlered wrote:
Quote:
Over just south of Whiteclay?

never say never...

ok that explains things.

Did you experience something on Whiteclay?

Just an odd screech on South Annette..not quite to Cliff. There were no other sounds in the woods.

Can't say what it was. Just as in Algonquin something snarled at me in the dark and I have no idea what it was.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2009, 3:34 pm 

I, too, am not really a believer in the sasquatch or the windigo, but I still find the subject interesting. I can see where these ideas came from; the woods can be a scary place at night, and it's easy for the imagination to wander. There is an infinite number of gruesome beasts lurking at the edges of the human mind. When night falls and the dark parts of the forest become mysteries even the most skeptical of men (I include myself) sometimes get the heeby jeebies. Ninety nine out of a hundred nights are pure bliss, silent and peaceful. The hundredth - when the old stories come out to play - is a psychological obstacle course.

And as to the old hag . . . well, she really exists. Kind of. It's a phenomenon that happens the world over. Newfoundlanders are (to my knowledge) just the only ones who have categorized it, named it, and attached to it a mythological identity.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2009, 3:58 pm 

Matthew_Eldon_Verge wrote:
I, too, am not really a believer in the sasquatch or the windigo, but I still find the subject interesting. I can see where these ideas came from; the woods can be a scary place at night, and it's easy for the imagination to wander. There is an infinite number of gruesome beasts lurking at the edges of the human mind. When night falls and the dark parts of the forest become mysteries even the most skeptical of men (I include myself) sometimes get the heeby jeebies. Ninety nine out of a hundred nights are pure bliss, silent and peaceful. The hundredth - when the old stories come out to play - is a psychological obstacle course.

And as to the old hag . . . well, she really exists. Kind of. It's a phenomenon that happens the world over. Newfoundlanders are (to my knowledge) just the only ones who have categorized it, named it, and attached to it a mythological identity.

I agree. However most adults "downhome" would not believe it was a actual old hag anymore, but may still call it such due to it's folklore past. ISP sure is a real thing.

I agree with your comments. I have had a few "moments" in the woods where my heightened senses play with me. Heck not too long ago I felt I was being followed while snowshoeing in the provincial park at night. Of course I rationalised it, as my senses were being deprived by limited vision and my lymbic system was basically trying to protect me.

I was reading some folk lore after returinging from Georgian bay a while back to find that a ghost haunts The big Mccoy on a full moon in september...which happened to be the excact night we stayed there! No ghosts no wendigo, no primative bigfoot.

To those you dedicate their life to tracking finding bigfoot I wish them all the success in the world. If they do I will gladly eat crow.
Otherwise I think it's folklore,bears walking bipedial, and hoax's ( a vast majority).

PostPosted: January 1st, 2010, 1:47 pm 

Interesting subject, I have no reason not to believe sasquatch exsists, people are after all seeing something. In regards to not having found one ,, does that mean they don't exsist?

Most of us who spend a lot of time in the bush will have their mind play tricks on them, hearing things, shadows etc. Interesting, that although I may doubt myself or what I think I perceive to be real, I don't often doubt the actions or reactions of my dog. Animals with a keener sense of smell, hearing etc. have a natural advantage over humans imo.. Dogs can smell an animal some distance away. If that same animal has the same keen sense of smell as a dog, it would have no problem avoiding an encounter, all be it, it's tracks may be left behind.

The old timers around hear speak of taking their dogs out on the big lake (Huron) when ice fishing. For a couple of reasons,mostly if a sudden storm whipped up to blizzard like conditions( no or little visibilty) their dogs could be counted on for getting them home safely off the ice. I wonder then because of our thinking we convince ourselves that because we can't or haven't seen something( and no one else has) it therefore can't exsist.

There is a lot of technology out there, I understand with satellites certian folks can almost zero in on a fly sitting on a grape half way around the world trying to scratch his butt and with the push of a couple buttons blast away the fly and the grape!! Yet the world can't seem to find some guy named Bin Laden?

One only has to do a google search of "new species found" to discover that new species are and have been found. Does that mean they just appeared or have they always been around and we just noticed them now?

David Thompson well known explorer and having mapped a good portion of North America makes note of finding some strange tracks in Jan. of 1811.

Quote:
Rights Reserved Henry Franzoni 1995.
Here's an old report, from 1811

David Thompson, the great explorer of the western US and Canada:

Once upon a time, on January 7th, 1811, David Thompson, a surveyor and trader for the Northwest Company, was attempting to cross the Rocky Mountains near the present day site of Jasper, Alberta, Thompson kept a daily journal, (see T.C. Elliott, "Journal of David Thompson," Oregon Historical Quarterly, 15 (March-June 1914) Thompson also published a work called the "Narrative", which was based on his journals.

In the journal entry for January 7th, 1811, Thompson wrote:

"I saw the track of a large Animal - has 4 large Toes abt 3 or 4 In long & a small nail at the end of each. The Bal of his foot sank abt 3 In deeper than his Toes - the hinder part of his foot did not mark well. The whole is about 14 In long by 8 In wide & very much resembles a large Bear's Track. It was in the Rivulet in about 6 In snow."
40 years later, when he expanded upon this experience in his "Narrative", he wrote:

"January 7th. continuing our journey in the afternoon we came on the track of a large animal, the snow about six inches deep on the ice; I measured it; four large toes each of four inches in length, to each a short claw; the ball of the foot sunk three inches lower than the toes. the hinder part of the foot did not mark well, the length fourteen inches, by eight inches in breadth, walking from north to south, and having passed about six hours. We were in no humour to follow him; the Men and Indians would have it to be a young mammouth and I held it to be the track of a large old grizzly bear; yet the shortness of the nails, the ball of the foot, and its great size was not that of a Bear, otherwise that of a very large old Bear, his claws worn away, the Indians would not allow."
In another part of the "Narrative", Thompson brings it up this experience again:

"I now recur to what I have already noticed in the early part of last winter, when proceeding up the Athabasca River to cross the mountains, in company with....Men and four hunters, on one of the channels of the River we came to the track of a large animal, which measured fourteen inches in length by eight inches in breadth by a tape line. As snow was about six inches in depth the track was well defined, and we could see it for a full hundred yards from us, this animal was proceeding from north to south. We did not attempt to follow it, we had not time for it, and the Hunters, eager as they are to follow and shoot every animal, made no attempt to follow this beast, for what could the balls of our fowling guns do against such an animal? Report from old times had made the head branches of this River, and the Mountains in the vicinity the abode of one, or more, very large animals, to which I never appeared to give credence; for these reports appeared to arise from that fondness for the marvellous so common to mankind: but the sight of the track of that large a beast staggered me, and I often thought of it, yet never could bring myself to believe such an animal existed, but thought it might be the track of some Monster Bear."

PostPosted: January 1st, 2010, 11:27 pm 

Where are the bodies? Everything dies.

I don't get what your trying to say with the apparent space laser?

And the way your talking about your dog, did you have a encounter with bigfoot ?

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2010, 8:40 am 

cobain_lg wrote:
Where are the bodies? Everything dies.

I don't get what your trying to say with the apparent space laser?

And the way your talking about your dog, did you have a encounter with bigfoot ?

Sometimes I think your posts come out of left field..

My dog also has a trail sense..even when the trail is obscured she stays on it; I suppose this is because she follows human scent.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2010, 9:13 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

The theory that people get spooked "in the bush" and "at night" only holds up if the sightings involve those circumstances.

There's lots of reports of sightings that involve neither of those circumstances.

I didn't read all of the sighting reports, of course, but enough to know that they happen in the daylight, and don't all involve people camping or walking through the woods.

Maybe the MNR will start to explain it all away with the "probably seeing domesticated Bigfoots who have escaped captivity" explanation, just like they did with so many of the cougar sightings. :D

Barbara

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2010, 9:14 am 

He got so tired of this discussion he moved on to Maine to visit Litteredcaone..... :rofl:

What does a legend have to do here to get some respect :wink:
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2010, 10:06 am 

Temagami sasquatch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-_H8nbC ... re=related

http://misabiadventurecompany.ca/

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2010, 11:12 am 

Yeah! Sure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next