It is currently October 15th, 2019, 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Birders
PostPosted: September 13th, 2014, 8:05 pm 

We love birds and have feeders out all winter. Recently the forest across the street was cut down to make way for the new hospital and the birds that were still around this time of year have all but vanished :( It will be interesting to see what happens this winter with numbers and variety of species. A hospital is better than say a Burger King, but it's still sad that the forest got decimated with such little concern for the urban wildlife who were affected - no one talked about it at all...

PostPosted: September 16th, 2014, 9:44 am 

Loons aren't the only waterfowl to carry their young on their backs... these are red-necked grebes, photographed at the Toronto waterfront, Colonel Samuel Smith park. These were reported by a birder at the ontbirds website several days ago... IIRC not all that common in S Ont at least from other comments I've heard.

http://www.jeaniron.ca/2014/grebes.htm

PostPosted: September 18th, 2014, 6:49 pm 

Several great blue herons seen flying south at sunset today, high enough so that binoculars were needed to tell what they were.

Cold north wind blowing all day might have made them get moving... hard frost forecast overnight.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2014, 7:27 pm 

Ok. Yesterday two sandhill cranes in a field usually full of turkeys. Sandhill cranes are not unheard of here but still quite rare.

Birding is worthwhile noticing..it's a great clue about how the environment is changing.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2014, 4:40 pm 

Several Bald Eagles moving south, right over the house.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2014, 9:15 am 

The 2014/2015 winter Ontario finch forecast is here... includes info on what to expect at feeders, and info on other winter birds.

Pine grosbeak

Quote:
GENERAL FORECAST: This winter's theme is a "mixed bag" of finch movements. For example, some species such as Purple Finch will go south while White-winged Crossbills will likely stay in the boreal forest in widely separated areas where spruces are laden with cones. Common Redpolls should move into southern Canada and the northern states because birch seed crops are thin to average across the north. See individual finch forecasts below for details.

WHERE TO SEE FINCHES: Algonquin Park is an exciting winter experience about 3.5 hour drive north of Toronto. Cone crops are poor in the park this year so finch numbers will be very low. However, feeders at the Visitor Centre (km 43) should attract Common Redpolls (watch for Hoaries), Evening and Pine Grosbeaks. The Visitor Centre and restaurant are open weekends in winter. On weekdays arrangements can be made to view feeders by calling 613-637-2828. The bookstore has one of the best selections of natural history books anywhere. Be sure to get the Birds of Algonquin Park (2012) by retired park naturalist Ron Tozer. It is one of the finest regional bird books ever published. The nearby Spruce Bog Trail at km 42.5 and Opeongo Road at km 44.5 are the best spots for finches and other species such as Gray Jay, Boreal Chickadee, Spruce Grouse and Black-backed Woodpecker.

http://www.jeaniron.ca/2014/forecast14.htm

PostPosted: September 24th, 2014, 11:42 pm 

Summer bird songs are all but gone. There are a few checks, chimps, and tseets one can hear but for the most part forests and shores have lost their summer sound. My yard is usually filled with the sounds of vireos, warblers and chipping sparrows, and I'm blessed with the song of a hermit thrush which makes its home in the back bush. The few remaining warblers are quiet now while they are ushered around the forest by the noisy resident chickadees, nuthatches and the usually silent brown creepers. I think in the absence of summer I will miss the the song sparrow the most. Whenever I rise from my tent in the morning they are busy on the shoreline plucking worms from low branches and singing complicated phrases almost trying to outdo each other. A musical backdrop for almost every trip I've been on.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2014, 11:12 am 

It's been quiet here as well, crows and bluejays making noise mostly. With the higher temps the last several days, I thought I heard song sparrows singing at sunset, only occasionally. Still have not heard whitethroats, maybe they'll be on a river somewhere.

The warm temps have also made wild turkeys and crows more active.... they search the fields, probably looking for bugs that also become more active with the higher temps.

This was the view across the road yesterday afternoon, wild turkeys grazing like cattle. Through binoculars the older birds have a nice metallic sheen to them.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2014, 1:24 pm 

Put a handful of sunflower seeds out on the deck railing. Noise from the chickadees, nuthatches and jays have attracted some yellow rumped warblers with the bulk of the small flock being immature females. Easy to see them picking dormant bugs from the canopy now that the leaves are almost gone. Had some house wrens yesterday and the back yard was busy with excitement but only too briefly. I hope they took a lost flycatcher with them for it has been cheeping incessantly under my eave since the middle of September.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 9:31 am 

Excellent vid with pix on distinguishing crow vs raven calls... essentially it's "caw" vs "grunk". Although, IIRC, both esp ravens will learn to imitate other sounds so some variation may be heard.

<yawl probably know all this, still, here it is, wherever you are>

PostPosted: June 9th, 2015, 10:46 pm 

Saw this loon sitting on the water's edge this wknd. Never seen one out of the water before - Turns out it's on a nest. Brewster Lake, near Campbell River.

Attachment:
loon1.jpg
loon1.jpg [ 54.08 KiB | Viewed 1595 times ]