It is currently October 19th, 2019, 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 29th, 2014, 10:23 am 

:o
(Grey and Black Squirrels)
The squirrels this year are overly plump this year in Milton.
And it is not just the ones around my house, since I am a mailman in milton the entire area seems to be the same.
I have 5 large Black Walnuts in my yard and usually I save a ton of the nuts for these little critters and they usually disappear just after the snow is gone.
So for the first time since we moved in since 89 I have not picked up and saved one nut, and there was lots on the trees. The yards under these trees have been clear of nuts since the end of October.
The squirrels have done the same with the maple keys and other seeds off the trees.
The two maples in my front yard are stripped clean.

So am wondering if anyone else has seen similar patterns.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: November 29th, 2014, 11:29 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Grey squirrels are rare around here, but the black vermin are plentiful. I haven't noticed that they are any larger or fatter than any other year they raid our bird feeder.

Did you see the Nature of Things episode "Nuts about squirrels" that originally aired back in September?

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episod ... -squirrels

PostPosted: November 29th, 2014, 1:22 pm 

The black, grey and one odd man out red squirrel here are fatter AND fluffier than we have ever seen them, both at home and across town at work. I thought perhaps it was just our area, but my co-working in Cannington has noted the same thing. Wonder what it means? :D

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: November 29th, 2014, 8:21 pm 

I had noticed that the grey squirrels were very fat this fall. I could barely see the legs on a particular one last week! The chipmunks are as wide as they are long, too.

I live in Montréal.

Will winter be rougher and longer than usual?

Last edited by GetOut on November 30th, 2014, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2014, 9:55 pm 

At the beginning of fall I had a family of red squirrels squattig in the attic .

While we were gone on the last escursion some of them trapped themselves in the house ...... when I found them a week later they were Flat .... definitely not fat :o

Winter will be good as usual , canoes are all put away , plenty of wood stacked for the woodstove , all the pantries and cold cellar are well stocked :)

Cheers ..... Vin

PostPosted: November 29th, 2014, 9:57 pm 

May be I will go winter camping in Florida this year.... 8)
This is becoming weird and interesting, not we need someone more west than us.
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 5:17 am 

Nope, not here.
Grey squirrels just moved into this rural area 3 years ago, chipmunks about 5 years ago. Previously it was mostly fields and spruce forest inhabited by only red squirrels. The habitat has changed over the years, with more structures for chipmunks to dig around as more houses and their attendant out-buildings, wood-piles etc. are built here-about. And hardwoods in people's yards, including some red oak I planted 30 yrs ago and the odd one in amongst the spruce, are starting to mature and bear fruit for the grey squirrels.
But it's new territory for the greys (they are actual the black "melanistic" variety here) and resources are still scarce. We had up to 6 in our yard last fall stealing birdseed - they were hungry and showed-up pretty much every day all winter, no matter the weather. This year I've seen only 2, and they are not fat.
The spruce forest opposite my house is in the process of being clear-cut, so despite their losses last winter and their continued struggle this year I expect the trend of more grey and less red to continue here.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 9:38 am 

They're definitely carrying more fat this year. The fat layer under the skin is thicker, and you have to skim the stew for fat, which is not the case every year.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2014, 3:33 pm 

WE have been in our present digs for three years. The squirrels do look quite 'healthy this year' Not sure why they are bigger.

Our chipmunk infestation seems to be taking a break though. I used to see multiples daily but this past summer none in our yard or neighbourhood.

For the first time since moving here I've seen red squirrels this fall. Wonder where they came from.

Looks like the ying and yang of nature. Some species thrive while others ebb off.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 4:40 pm 

In KW they are the size of small pigs!!!!!!!

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 6:43 pm 

Here in the burbs of Southern Ontario ( not took far from Watersong) I live in Grey squirrel country. Every year I spot a nest way up in one of the big trees in my yard. Last year I wondered what had shredded my blue tarp covering my canoe. Looking up as I was leaning over the fence talking to a neighbour, I spied a squirrel's nest generously stuffed with blue poly. Hmm. They're going high tech it seems. Now a new tarp and no problems, yet. Each year the nest location changes, from tree to tree. A couple weeks ago while raking leaves I looked up, and counted three nests. Thankfully they're all of the old original leafy no poly variety. It's the first time I've seen so many nests though. Did the young refuse to move out of the neighbourhood? In any case the squirrels are all about the same size. No pudgy squirrels here, just a lot of them. My big oak tree never dropped so much as one solitary acorn this fall. It was cleaned right out. Same with maple keys. Makes for a tidier yard, but I wonder if they could do something about all these leaves I've had to rake and bag?

PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 8:20 pm 

Watersong said
Quote:

:clap: :rofl: :rofl:
Jeff

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 9:17 am 

Watersong wrote:

So I guess you skim the fat then?? :lol:

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 9:24 am 

sk8r wrote:
They're definitely carrying more fat this year. The fat layer under the skin is thicker, and you have to skim the stew for fat, which is not the case every year.

So... you don't actually Have Any squirrels where you live... any more.

We don't have much in the way of squirrels out here in the country, bunnies and weasels are our friends. The raptor concentration keeps them lean from running for cover.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 10:02 am 

That's it! My squirrels need more exercise!!!!!!

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956