It is currently October 19th, 2019, 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2014, 9:01 am 

Okay. I have have no luck on finding appropriate flights from Yellowknife to Whitehoure and Dawson City, so now we are looking at a tourist trip down the Ice field Parkway. We have 5 days. Land in Edmonton from Yellowknife, drive to Jasper, full day tour of the ice fields and then head south towards Banff. The teen wants to see the Frank Slide. Where else would you go?

Really we could also start in Calgary and avoid the 4 hour dive from Edmonton. But where ever we star we need to take the car back. Husband reluctant to camp (we are renting our tents, stoves, canoes, lifejackets etc. in Norman Wells, so will just have our personal gear).

Any help and advise appreciated. I hear the area can be an RV zoo at that time of year.

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2014, 9:27 am 

The Columbia Icefield is an expensive ripoff. If you want to get on tracked bus and stand on dirty ice amidst a bunch of buses go for it.

I much preferred hiking to Angel Glacier and taking the time to do some other short hikes of the Parkway to overlooks of other lakes.

We liked the Jasper Sky Tram ride at sunset.

I would never stay in Banff. It is a traffic nightmare. And the supermarket staff is rude.

We enjoyed the Royal Tyrell Museum in Drumheller. I expected to be bored. I was not. We should have stayed two days.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2014, 11:15 am 

What time of year are you going, Cheryl?

The upcharge for a one way rental is not too bad, is it? I have done that before, but not for ages.

Unless you plan to do things in the Edmonton area, Calgary would likely be a better hub.

Kim's ideas are all great. You can stop at the Icefields, and just walk up to them, but I would not go on a tour either.

Tyrell, Frank, and Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump, are all good places to visit, and give an idea of what the past history of the area was like.

Lots of great short and day hikes to take all through Banff and Jasper. Though Banff is much closer to me, I much prefer Jasper. It is way more laid back, though still busy in the summer. Banff is fine, it has lots of things to see and do in the area, and if you want to shop for overpriced things, it is the place to do that too. I have never had too much trouble with traffic there, but do stay off the main street during store hours.

Near Jasper is Maligne Lake, by far one of the most beautiful places you could ever paddle. I went there last September again. There are tour boats (the only motorized boats allowed on the lake, other than the park ranger) that will take you half way down the lake to one of the most photographed spots in the world, Spirit Island. Actually, the most gorgeous of scenery is just past there, but the boats are not allowed past Spirit Island.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2014, 4:07 pm 

We will be there the Thurs - Monday on the Aug. long weekend.

Was thinking of doing an ice fields educational tour - 4-6 hours on foot, away from the crowds.

After talking to CAA, am begining to think renting a small RV might be cheaper in the long run.

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: December 24th, 2014, 2:51 pm 

There is no official Aug long weekend in Alberta though some businesses close for Heritage Day

http://www.statutoryholidays.com/alberta.php

That said if you are considering camping at Wapiti, Wabasso or Whistlers you should reserve. The campgrounds get full.

also in Banff. Some camgpgrounds are first come first served but it can be a long hunt.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/banff/ ... aspx#where

PostPosted: December 24th, 2014, 7:27 pm 

If you are driving from Edmonton stop at Miette Hot Springs. I like it more than Banff or Radium and I think it's generally less crowded.

http://www.hotsprings.ca/#!miette-hot-springs/c1bpw

I went to the Columbia icefield in the early 90's, I was shocked by two thing, how far back from the highway the field was and mostly how crowded and commercialized it had become. The previous time I was there was 1962, at that time the ice only allowed a very small parking lot beside the road and the tours were done in the original Bombardier machines.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2014, 7:09 pm 

Cheryl,
It is busy so I'll start a response and, hopefully, get back to you later with more of my opinions.
I think that accommodation will be a problem at that time. I would recommend reservations. Motels/hotels in the mountains will be very expensive. Camping/RV sites will be hard to find.
Miette Hotsprings are nice and the Sulfur Skyline Trail is just behind the hot springs. It is my favourite hike to get a mountain-top view with a fairly short hike. http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Sulphur- ... per-AB-498

Jasper has a much smaller-town feel than Banff but it will be busy. The Jasper Tramway is a good way to see a lot in a short space of time. The hike to the top of Whistler's Mountain is easy and you can go beyond if you want. http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-The-Whis ... er-AB-2031

I agree with dunkin' that Maligne Lake is spectacular. Paddle if you can, boat tour if you haven't got enough time. Hike the Bald Hills for great views of the lake http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Bald-Hil ... er-AB-1581
The Opal Hills hike is nice but views of the lake are not as good. http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Opal-Hil ... er-AB-1576

Athabasca Falls are worth a short stop and hike.

Beauty Creek (near Beauty Creek Hostel - just north of the Icefields) is a nice hike along a pretty creek but does not have mountain views. http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Beauty-C ... er-AB-2099

The Icefields will be very busy. For a view try scrambling up Wilcox Peak.

http://climbwild.net/RP_Mt_Wilcox_Southeast_Ridge.html
SOUTHEAST RIDGE, Mt. Wilcox

Parker Ridge hike is nice but will be busy.
http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Parker-R ... er-AB-1918

All for now,
Hope this helps

PostPosted: December 27th, 2014, 1:05 am 

Wow, it sounds like there is enough to keep us busy without going south to Banff. I assume staying in Hinton would help?

PostPosted: December 27th, 2014, 10:10 am 

recped wrote:
If you are driving from Edmonton stop at Miette Hot Springs. I like it more than Banff or Radium and I think it's generally less crowded.

http://www.hotsprings.ca/#!miette-hot-springs/c1bpw

I went to the Columbia icefield in the early 90's, I was shocked by two thing, how far back from the highway the field was and mostly how crowded and commercialized it had become. The previous time I was there was 1962, at that time the ice only allowed a very small parking lot beside the road and the tours were done in the original Bombardier machines.

While the retreat of the glacier is unfortunate it is magnified by the relocation of the highway farther east.

In 1967 we parked just off the shoulder and the glacier was right next to the car. Now in 2014 it was about a mile away Yet if you look at the signs indicating the place the terminus was in a given year.. 1938 is way west of the highway and 1967 further west. The highway moved too.

Our last visit was in 2012.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2015, 7:43 pm 

Once I get over my heart attack at the cost of flights from Edmonton to Norman Wells, I will be looking for ideas as to specific places to stay in an around Jasper. I have had a look at Hinton, and it is a good idea...

PostPosted: January 4th, 2015, 8:11 pm 

I had a total occlusion of the widowmaker coronary artery in July. I am here and advising you that life is not eternal.

HANG the PRICES! Do it!

PostPosted: January 6th, 2015, 6:59 pm 

I needed to hear that... and I am very glad you are still around to give that advice! :thumbup:

PostPosted: January 13th, 2015, 6:25 pm 

It took a good chunk of a day, but I got a B and B, with 2 bedrooms, living room and full kitchen just off the main street for more than 50% of what I would have paid for a hotel, and even better the host is a professional guide who has offered up the use of his canoe if we want to paddle in the area!

PostPosted: January 14th, 2015, 5:55 am 

If you want to paddle (do the 13 and all that), stay away from Lake Louise! Price is a ripoff and they even let huge groups into the line ahead of you.
Do Canoe Docks in Banff instead.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: January 14th, 2015, 7:17 am 

We are driving out from Edmonton Thurs (4 hours), will have Fri and Sat, and then have to be back in Edmonton by Sun. night, so we won't get to Banff :-?