It is currently October 19th, 2019, 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thoughts
PostPosted: December 26th, 2014, 3:49 am 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/krista-ti ... &ir=Canada

Post subject: Re: Thoughts
PostPosted: December 26th, 2014, 11:17 am 

Quote:
I don't like -- don't approve, refuse to throw myself into -- the spirit of obligatory gift-giving.

I feel a great disturbance in The Force. And so must The Joneses. I've never found out who The Joneses really are but it seems nobody can keep up with them.

:o

Somewhat related to the subject of old clothes in the report, for a while, the new new thing about wearing those motheaten ugly Christmas sweaters to parties was something promising, but it seems even that is becoming popular and there's now money in it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... z3MuUTXiK2

PostPosted: December 26th, 2014, 4:23 pm 

frozentripper
Perhaps Xmas should be moved to another day and the 25th become 'Stuff Day' or something. A religious observance day and the 2 fer one landfill day...

PostPosted: December 26th, 2014, 4:41 pm 

Christmas or any other day is what you choose to make it. You really cannot change others minds but you don't have to "go with the flow". Its a pointless debate re materialism.

The general time of the year calls for introspection. Not a bad time to sort out what means the most for you personally. The lights are to cheer us on and give us hope.

I have done a great deal of thinking over the past six weeks and found out what means the most to me. Christmas had a part. Forums did not.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2014, 7:47 pm 

Forums did not...that's a shame. I have often learned a great deal from the postings of others on this forum.....

As for Christmas....I usually spend it in a hotel room somewhere. I still cry at re-runs of the Alister Sims version of a Christmas Carol.

I am not religious...nature is my religion. That said...God bless us, everyone.

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: December 27th, 2014, 9:18 am 
CCR Moderator & Assistant Administrator

I found the article to be a redundant re-hash of the typical anti-xmas rant. A bit of a yawn.

To delve into matters a little deeper (ok a lot deeper) I enjoyed reading Happiness-A History and The Meaning of Human Existence. The pair of books would be a humanities versus science face-off.

From the latter book:
“We are all genetic chimeras, at once saints and sinners, champions of the truth and hypocrites — not because humanity has failed to reach some foreordained religious or ideological ideal, but because of the way our species originated across millions of years of biological evolution.”

Xmas is an opportunity to affirm our bonds with our tribe-mates via gift giving, being happy together and ritualistic behavior. All of which once enhanced our chances of survival. I guess it worked. :wink:

PostPosted: December 27th, 2014, 9:59 am 

Somewhat along the same way of thinking and subject matter, I am currently reading (and very much enjoying) "The Rational Optimist" by Matt Ridley.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2014, 8:36 pm 

Neil,

Quote:
Xmas is an opportunity to affirm our bonds with our tribe-mates via gift giving, being happy together and ritualistic behavior. All of which once enhanced our chances of survival. I guess it worked.

Yep... I knew it. There has always been an element of political motivation behind that gift-giving business, as usual... jk.

:wink:

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 8:15 am 

PostPosted: December 30th, 2014, 9:11 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

Hiker Neil wrote:
Xmas is an opportunity to affirm our bonds with our tribe-mates via gift giving, being happy together and ritualistic behavior. All of which once enhanced our chances of survival. I guess it worked. :wink:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/s ... -1.2885746

Quote:
Sudbury volunteers stitch gifts of good will, comfort

A group of volunteers in Sudbury has turned a hobby into a helping hand.

The Sudbury and District Quilting and Stitchery Guild has been busy all year sewing special quilts for people in need, including kids in the care of the Children's Aid, women recovering from addiction, and people dying in Sudbury's hospice.

Huguette Larose knows first-hand what a comfort a small square of fabric can be in a time of grief and pain. She lost her husband of 57 years—known to most as "Pete"—to bone cancer this year.

He went to the Maison VALE Hospice to live his final days.

"It was hard," she said. "I invited all his friends and all his family to come and say 'bye'."

Before he died though, Pete was to be given a memento of his life—a personalized memory quilt.

The small ornamental quilts are made at the request of the hospice by people in the Quilter's Guild. Each one is selected by the person in hospice as representative of themselves.

Larose said her husband looked at the options, but didn't see one that was quite right for him.

"And I told that to Sylvie [the volunteer coordinator], and she says, 'I know just the person who would make you one specially for him," she said.
'Meant to be'

Larose, who is herself a member of the guild, didn't know it at the time, but her fellow quilter and casual acquaintance Susan Cardinal happened to be working on something new.

"This one I had already started," said Cardinal. "It was the very first landscape I ever started, but it didn't have a tractor on it, it wasn't quite finished... [but] I got to work that day and brought it up the next day."

Larose said as soon as Pete saw it, with it's tractor and shed, he knew it was the one for him.

"He loved his shed," she said. "He had a wood stove in it, and ... in the fall or the winter, he would go sit and meditate in his shed with the nice warmth of the fire."

Larose said now that Pete is gone, she looks at the memory quilt hanging in her dining room, and thinks of her husband.

"I could see the chimney and some smoke coming out of it [still]."

Larose said she also thinks of Susan Cardinal, who she now considers a friend.

For her part, Cardinal said she feels she gets more out of her quilting than she puts into it.

"Something that I do for fun—it's a hobby—to think that it could mean so much to somebody else is pretty touching, really."

Cardinal estimates the Sudbury and District Quilting and Stitchery Guild, which celebrates 35 years in 2015, donated 250 hand-made memory quilts to people in hospice in the last year.