It is currently October 15th, 2019, 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2015, 10:08 am 

So what do you do when the highway becomes a little too crowded with 18-wheelers self-destructing all around... record on video.

:o

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152691618044091

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 8:44 am 

Wow, nerves of steel. I watched that once in my rearview as a truck went sideways behind me. Thankfully they were able to get it under control. My camera skills would not have been as steady as that.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out. John Wooden.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 8:49 am 

The issue is that black ice looks just like wet pavement.. Its not crowding..its speed.

I travel that highway a few times a year..and it was not crowded in the video. If it were the speeds would have been forced down

Give me snow any day .. I had enough of that coastal black ice.. Whammed my head more than once on a "wet" driveway

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 9:53 am 

What an idiot ... nobody needs to be parked and filming these things (seems like that should be a pretty good lesson to learn).

The other truck cleared through (and so did this car) ... and pretty quickly. Living in a congested city, slowing down to look at accidents causes accidents. Yes, the other truck was moving too fast as well (especially under bad conditions).

Humans weren't meant to drive ... is that the takeway from this very dangerous video (and lessons unlearned). I'm not sure we'll ever prevent stopping to a crawl to look at accidents (and film them on our mobile devices ... which may have a role to play earlier in this accident as well).

Maybe a speed no faster than a canoe is the answer?

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 10:54 am 

I get off the turnpike when the air is at freezing. More escape on local roads. Not everyone has that choice

The trouble is that the road can be fine. Until suddenly it isnt

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 2:48 pm 

The guy was stopped because the road in front was blocked. The truck coming up behind was travelling too fast for the conditions. Maybe the guy filming shouldn't have been, but there was nothing he could have done to clear the road in front or stop someone from coming up behind.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 7:39 pm 

ice-breaker wrote:
Maybe the guy filming shouldn't have been ...

You think?

Truck was parked in left shoulder with clear passage. Why is anybody's guess (maybe he was filming too). They cleared out pretty quickly once they figured out semis were barreling down the highway at them. Can you imagine if the guy had a load (and not empty trailers). Quite a lot of poor judgement to go around as I see it.

Any other prospective insurance adjusters or highway cops in the crowd? Not sure what caused the first truck to go off the road, but I'd give them all citations (especially the guy on his mobile device filming the thing).

PSA: I drove a vintage motorcycle for some 8 years. Seeing way too many people driving on their cell phones was one of my reasons for selling the thing. It's a pet peeve (let it be yours as well). You'll be much safer because of it.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 9:19 pm 

said scene may well be repeated tonight

PostPosted: January 24th, 2015, 10:30 am 

Kim,

Quote:
Give me snow any day .. I had enough of that coastal black ice..

Highway pileups can be pretty bad in snow too, there have been several on Hwy 400 in the Barrie area and at least one big pileup on the 401 north of Lake Ontario... here's a recent news report on Michigan's I-94. Heavy snowfall, poor visibility and those cars and trucks just kept on driving at normal highway speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFFqPr- ... 1421914688

PostPosted: January 24th, 2015, 12:44 pm 

True snowstorms can make driving miserable. That is the main reason I won't attend WCS

Last time it went like this.. Leave TO drive 30 minutes. Stop for 1 hour cause some bozo spun out in flurries.

Cross at Prescott.. go up through the Adirondacks where a howling wind and snowstorm makes whiteout. Leave highway because lost sight of it.. Fortunately stayed on a road and not a ditch.

Get to Mass Pike and the Stockbridge hill in another storm and whiteout and get stuck because everyone else is .. (its uphill mercifully) Once a plow comes through things start to move but pretty slowly ( which is amazing for Mass hole drivers)

Keeps snowing next 300 miles and I get to near home which has a big downhill(300 meters) still snowing and the plow has not come through even though there is now over a foot of snow on the ground ( which saves me as I slide downhill caroming slowly off snowbanks)

Eh.. that first sitting on the 401 seemed so silly..

Snow I can see and if I have good sense I can exit. Black ice is sneakier.

PostPosted: January 24th, 2015, 8:29 pm 

[quote="idylwyld"

Truck was parked in left shoulder with clear passage. Why is anybody's guess (maybe he was filming too). They cleared out pretty quickly once they figured out semis were barreling down the highway at them. Can you imagine if the guy had a load (and not empty trailers). Quite a lot of poor judgement [/quote]

If you view the scene again, you will clearly see there was no room for the truck to get through on the left, the jacked-knifed trailer was clearly blocking the roadway and there was no clear path through. Suggesting that the driver of the truck was filming is laughable.
It's easy to sit at a computer and second guess, but a situation like this can happen in an instant.
The drivers of the trucks had no idea the roadway would turn to glare ice, they trust the highway department to be pro active and prepare the roadway. True, sometimes the future is hard to predict, but with today's weather forecasts, a professional Dept of Transportation supervisor should be way ahead of a situation where falling rain freezes on the roadway. If salt trucks are not dispatched ahead of time on such a busy interstate when conditions are suspect, it's hard to blame a driver for finding himself suddenly trying to control his rig on a sheet of ice.

The driver of the doubles that jumped the guard rail was what we call a "line driver", he drives all night shuttling freight between two hubs. He found himself in a really dangerous situation, no fault of his own. He was moving with the traffic and was unable to stop on an ice covered roadway when he came upon the blocked highway. He should be commended for avoiding rear ending the cars backed up at the scene of the original accident.

Driving truck in the winter is a challenge,

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 9:16 am 

Robin wrote:
If you view the scene again, you will clearly see there was no room for the truck to get through on the left

So how did MrLegolize, the guy filming, get through on the left just seconds after the truck jumped the median? Guy was filming incident, but didn't do a very good job documenting much of anything.
Robin wrote:
He was moving with the traffic and was unable to stop on an ice covered roadway when he came upon the blocked highway.

Truck appears to have found enough grip on the roadway to steer his truck over the median.

The guy posting the video on YouTube (I'm not going to include link) now has 7.5 million hits, and is making money on ads. The rate appears to be around 1/3 cent per view (yielding him over $24,000). You think he's sharing this with any other people involved in the accident ... truck drivers and companies, passenger vehicles (it appears others were involved), first responders, tow truck and highway crews, insurance companies?

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 12:37 pm 

Its a tactic on black ice to head for the rough part of the highway.. The edges of NJ highways are often scored to wake up dozing drivers.

Is this a productive discussion or a quibble.. I have had enough.. and its time to buy another snowshovel with the 60 cm predicted.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 12:49 pm 

Maybe time could be spent griping about winter instead...? Here's a spoof on the Pure Michigan ads designed to bring tourist dollars in (warning... there is abusive language in this vid which some might object to).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsR0DeY7f1g