It is currently October 15th, 2019, 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 5th, 2015, 10:42 am 

So our mail delivery has been sporadic for the last few months. It's a community mail box and I've verified with neighbours that they aren't getting mail for several days in a row either. I wasn't 100% sure until I talked to Canada Post yesterday.

I'd ordered something online last week with guaranteed 2 day delivery. It shipped on time and should have arrived Thursday. Of course we didn't get anything delivered Thursday. Canada Post claims it was delivered to the community mailbox on Friday. There was a parcel box key on Friday - but it was for someone else's parcel. Not the end of the world, the delivery person on Monday should see the package is still there and put the right key in our box, right? Nope, no mail delivery on Monday - or Tuesday - or Wednesday.

I called Canada Post around noon yesterday. They won't looking into a possible delivery issue until you have gone 5 straight days with no mail. When I pushed on the fact that their tracking system said the package was delivered Friday and it wasn't, so if anyone had delivered mail to that box in the last 3 days the problem should have been solved by now, I got the answer that "Canadians are receiving a lot less mail than in the past". The person on the phone was quite polite in doing their job and obviously couldn't come right out and say that Canada Post no longer delivers mail daily, but that was pretty clearly the message.

Now I don't really mind if we only get mail 2 or 3 days a week, but I would like to know which days to expect mail. I also have to think that if major online vendors like, oh, say, Amazon, realize that Canada Post isn't providing daily delivery, then they will be looking elsewhere for delivery partners. Given that package volume is about the only thing keeping mail service alive, that doesn't bode well for Canada Post.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2015, 2:12 pm 

Was it a large or small package? The large ones are often handled by contract people not the regular carriers. Although they are usually ok they are nowhere near as reliable as regular CP employees.

My mail delivery is also sporadic but it's not because the carrier isn't passing or stopping it's because unless there are flyers (2 days a week minimum) I practically don't get any mail (kind of funny since i"m in the mail order business!).

If they claim they left the key for you on Friday and there was a key and package (not yours) there it sound like somebody else took your package and left the one that they should have taken.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2015, 2:44 pm 

4 out of 5 days a week ain't bad around here in London. A few years ago I took to picking up letters on the sidewalk and delivering them, usually nearby. Called them about it, rep actually had a sense of humour and said so I didn't like there meet the neighbour program :) Things got better after that though.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2015, 4:25 pm 

Yeah, we're averaging about 2 days a week and this is an urban location.

I expect the package is still sitting in the mailbox and the next time someone gets around to delivering mail to our neighbourhood, they'll put the right key in our mailbox.

Of course in the meantime I've had to report the package as not delivered. Almost instant response from Amazon with the immediate offer to either send a replacement or provide a full refund.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2015, 6:46 pm 

We didn't get mail for six days Of course we have to shovel the steel bank of boxes. Hey it's winter. Weather distant from you can have an effect. Just like flights

PostPosted: February 5th, 2015, 8:39 pm 

Looks like a mix-up between your parcel & one of your neighbour's parcels. Perhaps both keys were "crossed" - put into the wrong mailbox. Look at the address of the parcel in the compartment to which you received a key. Knock on their door. My guess is that they've got the key to the compartment that holds your parcel.

I order and send items through Canada Post all the time. Never had a problem.

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: February 5th, 2015, 9:27 pm 

Our mailboxes regularly (the 24 pack) don't get mail 1-2 days a week. No one; zip, nada gets the mail. On the plus side at Christmas, we did get our new sleeping bags delivered 2 days late, but they were brought to our door on a SUNDAY no less, by a postie. Good thing we were home to sign for it!

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: February 5th, 2015, 9:52 pm 

Fellow Canada Post deliverees,

It does seem that (starting just a couple of months ago) one or two days a week no letter carrier appears on my street. The other days see a considerable wad of junk mail and fliers in the box. Not much other mail anymore.

I haven't had any problem with packages from Amazon, etc. -- even get e-mails from Canada Post that detail progress of my packages through the snail mail system, and the delivery seems pretty efficient and timely.

We still have door-to-door delivery here, although that will change to a neighbourhood box sometime later this year. I guess the extra exercise won't kill me.

-JF-

PostPosted: February 6th, 2015, 3:30 am 

Splake wrote:
The person on the phone was quite polite in doing their job and obviously couldn't come right out and say that Canada Post no longer delivers mail daily, but that was pretty clearly the message.
Then the person on the phone was confused. Canada Post is a unionized Crown Corporation. They can't secretly change their service standards. Call them back and if you get anything but a clear, straight-forward answer then ask to speak with a supervisor.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2015, 10:10 am 

canoeguitar wrote:
Looks like a mix-up between your parcel & one of your neighbour's parcels. Perhaps both keys were "crossed" - put into the wrong mailbox. Look at the address of the parcel in the compartment to which you received a key. Knock on their door. My guess is that they've got the key to the compartment that holds your parcel.

I order and send items through Canada Post all the time. Never had a problem.

That's exactly what I figure happened. I spent a summer working in a mail room way back when, so I know it's easy enough to switch something up. I'm sure it will sort itself out.

I have also rarely had a problem with something coming through CP.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2015, 5:50 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

When this was first posted, I didn't have any proof that we weren't getting mail delivery every day. We don't normally get mail every day, so it was tough to figure out.

Our mail is delivered by a contractor, "rural" delivery by vehicle.

However, this week proved that we weren't getting mail delivered every day. It was pretty easy to figure out...there were no vehicle tracks in the snow.

And we definitely were expecting mail yesterday. :evil:

We have had this no-Monday delivery happen before, but there was no snow on the ground to see if the mail delivery vehicle had travelled down the road.

Not impressed much, to say the least.

The mail that should have been delivered yesterday (Monday) arrived today.

Barbara

PostPosted: February 11th, 2015, 9:30 am 

I'm in no hurry to get my bills, so I just don't worry about it!

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2015, 3:07 pm 

When I was in Edmonton last week, I read a commentary that suggested this would should become policy, rather than randomly decided i.e. your mail would come to a community box 1-3 times a week.

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: August 7th, 2015, 3:40 pm 

I would be fine with 2 or 3 day a week delivery on specific days. I think it is really important that Canada Post continues to provide physical mail delivery. While electronic "mail" works well for many things for many people, not everyone has access to electronic "mail" whether it is e-mail, online accounts, or whatever.